letter to doug

It wasnt just international. I found about 20 cities from TPA that werent loaded either.

Even better, last night I am looking at LGA-MEM for a date in April. No problem, I see all the CLT connections. I hit the key for return avail and enter a date 5 days later and guess what? That's right we only offer those CLT connections going to MEM, according to QIK we don't offer return service. I guess all those MEM-CLT flights and all those CLT-LGA flights are just figments of our collective immagination. The truly sad aprt is I canot even blame SHARES for these problems, I am convinced it is something in our implentation or the QIK interface gumming up the works.

That would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

I just looked up LGA-MEM for 4/9 with a 4/13 return and it displayed properly.

It also priced through and I'm guessing it would allow me to book the ticket.

Here we have two individuals with 2 completely different experiences over a relativly short time frame. To me it points out exactly why the level of frustration is quickly turning to anger and loss of business.

Bob, you may have just confirmed my suspicions here. I never mentioned the dates but 13APR was the return date I was using. Now if you, as I assume, were looking it up on the web site and I was using the QIK interface and both link to SHARES it really look slike hte issue lies in the QIK interface not in the SHARES backbone.

This new computer system is just not working. The employees are exhausted and the passengers are not happy. To witness what has been going on since this new system was implemented is depressing. To see passengers waiting in line for hours because the computers do not work is horrible. Doug Parker should have been out working in the airports last weekend to see what the employees and the passengers were enduring. While I could definitely use the $100 that was given to us I would have much rather seen the money used to upgrade this crappy computer system!!!!

Simply calling it crappy is a huge understatement. We have gone from a cadillac to a tricycle in some third world country. It may have worked for the old HP , but it is not capable of handling the addition of the east network. it is as worthless as whale poop.

I am beginning to see evidence that SHARES is not the issue. While different in commands and approach it is essentially a legacy reservations system. Primary difference is that it is more "Open" and "Customizable"

Both of which are positives assuming you have programmers who can write clean code. Once again we see the results of the "Do It Youself" approach to writing an interface with low paid talent. Face it if you're in the IT field and you're any good you aren't working at US Airways as you could easily double your salary elsewhere.

Like some say "You get what you pay for" and nowhere is that truer than in the IT profession. Looks to me like US Airways got EXACTLY what they paid for. A third rate interface designed to run a third rate regional carrier that at various times was nearly grounded, nearly broke, Nearly liquidated and now nearly close to having a complete operational meltdown.

And you know what? I'm jealous because if I were in charge I could do at least this bad AND I'd get a huge bonus!!!!
The way to do it is that you contract out the programming, design and implemation. The in-house IT personel are basically maintenence, upkeep of a system. In-House workers do not have the expertize that a contractor would have. The in-house are generally there to maintain and do fixes. This being a major conversion, is not for a job of in-house. They are alot of variables that they have to deal with, ticket counter, operations, etc. Its not doing just 1 office building, its an international system. Travis stated that they used the old technology and didn't use the modern. Does this save them money?

The same is involved with the system that they are using applies to home personal computers. You can buy a new computer today, just for the computer to be outdated in 15-18 months. Older systems are more expensive to handle the volume it needs to deal with. In the short term, if that is the only option, then that is what they have to deal with. But Travis said its a money losing business. OK I'll agree with him there but by going the lesser inexpensive way here, the end result may and most likely cost more. The upfront cost of a new modern system will be high initially, but the problems would be minimized by using contracted workers. I should refrain from saying the in-house are not capable, but its the element of the system being huge. But when they do decide to upgrade, most likely it will cost him alot more an a few years than now. It is also another thing that they can put behind them and concentrate on running the company. It would have been wiser for them to do it the right way the first time instead of using duct tape.

Well believe it or not, I got a reply. It was not from Doug but he did share his cell phone and I did call. We spoke for a short time. I do expect to be on the phone again at the beginning of the week with the IT dept on a three way call. I will not be holding my breath but I have to admit I would be surprised if I don’t get the call.

I also spoke of moral and how simple it could have been to take the high road. I don’t expect a raise anytime soon but it felt good to get if off my chest.

Well believe it or not, I got a reply. It was not from Doug but he did share his cell phone and I did call. We spoke for a short time. I do expect to be on the phone again at the beginning of the week with the IT dept on a three way call. I will not be holding my breath but I have to admit I would be surprised if I don’t get the call.

I also spoke of moral and how simple it could have been to take the high road. I don’t expect a raise anytime soon but it felt good to get if off my chest.

Thanks for having the initiative to follow up (phone call). Thanks for trying to be an advocate for co-workers and passengers. Thanks for having the guts to give them directions to the high road. They ARE lost.
I hope you get called back.

And you know what? I'm jealous because if I were in charge I could do at least this bad AND I'd get a huge bonus!!!!
And if you're chosen to be Miss America, what will you do about world peace?

Back