Liberal Myths of War

local 12 proud

Veteran
Mar 5, 2004
In a new twist on the debate, Rep. Charles Rangel, the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said on CBS' Face the Nation that he will introduce a bill to reinstitute the draft as means to put pressure on future presidents who contemplate war.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft."

He has said the all-volunteer military disproportionately puts the burden of war on minorities and lower-income families.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...aq-debate_x.htm

Same old song and dance!

http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/ar...g_remain_2.html

I don't know if agree with Rangel's assessment ..but one thing that would help increase enlistments: LET HOMOSEXUALS SERVE IF THEY WANT and do away with "don't ask, don't tell".

I don't know if agree with Rangel's assessment ..but one thing that would help increase enlistments: LET HOMOSEXUALS SERVE IF THEY WANT and do away with "don't ask, don't tell".

We already allow Homosexuals to serve, 'DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL' applies across the board equally. It was designed to remove any regard towards sexual preferance.

It means what it says, its a hands off stance period.

What really irks me is the fact that at every opportunity we have some in leadership positions who like to use the 'Race Card' in order to devide this country even more.

Ya right. Your policy would make lots of soldiers get out of the military as soon as they could. Having openly homosexual soldiers would destroy comraderie among units and would make a lot of people uncomfortable. How many homosexuals are looking to join the army anyway? The majority of them are anti-war. I think more would leave than would join. The "don't ask don't tell" policy is best. Let anyone join who wants to and keep your "sexuality" to yourself.

As far as the over-proportion of minorities go, having a draft is a stupid solution. Minorities are demographically poorer, the army gives poor people a way to pay for college if they want. In fact, it helps anyone pay for college, whether they have money or not. A good, white, friend of mine told his parents that he wanted to pay for college on his own to not burden them (even though they weren't poor). He joined the Air Force Guard and is still in it, going to college. He has no regrets.

By no means is the army forcing poor people to join, it's their decision. It gives them an opportunity. They don't have to take it. A draft would solve nothing.

Given that poor people also have a higher propensity to commit crimes (here's a paper I wrote in college about poverty and crime), it could be argued that the army provides discipline to the poor and decreases the crime rate.

What really irks me is the fact that at every opportunity we have some in leadership positions who like to use the 'Race Card' in order to devide this country even more.

I totally agree with this Local 12. Not only do they divide the country, but then they blame it on the president and ask him how he's going to bring the country together.

I have not seen this much shamless self-promotion since the last time I read the becker-posner blog. With that said, I skimmed your paper and found it somwehat insightful.

What's shameless is politicians exploiting minorities in the name of self-promotion and causing devision amongst the citizens, and you know exactly who im talking about!

What's shameless is politicians exploiting minorities in the name of self-promotion and causing devision amongst the citizens, and you know exactly who im talking about!
Could you give us a breakdown of the racial makeup of the volunteer army?

Given that poor people also have a higher propensity to commit crimes (here's a paper I wrote in college about poverty and crime), it could be argued that the army provides discipline to the poor and decreases the crime rate.

How about some real soul searching.....FDR caused the welfare state that is now out of hand...yet you try and shift the blame to minority's who have a real lack of need to improve in their situation....especially when on pub assistance...

Leroy and I grew up on Lindberg Avenue in Penn Hills.Leroy was an academian in our graduating class.Somewhere down the line,Leroy became aware thet he was screwing up in the Negro world and was cloning into what was then called an Uncle Tom...He was wrought with issues as to who he really was....a young blackman moving away from the ghetto or some young smack *****' dissin' his homies to find success and stature out of the 'hood'...
Leroy was never really poor.....he was loved and supported by his family...had all needed to succeed in life....but by his own choosing,Leroy threw it all away to become a stereotypical minority born to succumb to the white mans ways.....Leroy now makes lisence plates for the state of Pennsylvania...seems the white man was right....? :down:

Leroy and I grew up on Lindberg Avenue in Penn Hills.Leroy was an academian in our graduating class.Somewhere down the line,Leroy became aware thet he was screwing up in the Negro world and was cloning into what was then called an Uncle Tom...He was wrought with issues as to who he really was....a young blackman moving away from the ghetto or some young smack *****' dissin' his homies to find success and stature out of the 'hood'...
Leroy was never really poor.....he was loved and supported by his family...had all needed to succeed in life....but by his own choosing,Leroy threw it all away to become a stereotypical minority born to succumb to the white mans ways.....Leroy now makes lisence plates for the state of Pennsylvania...seems the white man was right....? :down:

Bob Muzikowski, who created the little league baseball program in Chicago's inner-city "bad" neighborhoods, used the euphemism "got homesick" to describe the phenomenon you described. In his words, it is the "guilt laid on city kids who are succeeding by those who are not." Fortunately, Bob Muzikowski's "Leroy" did not stay "homesick" for very long.

Ya right. Your policy would make lots of soldiers get out of the military as soon as they could. Having openly homosexual soldiers would destroy comraderie among units and would make a lot of people uncomfortable.

Well those people need to grow up.

I have not seen this much shamless self-promotion since the last time I read the becker-posner blog. With that said, I skimmed your paper and found it somwehat insightful.

"Shameless self promotion"? Oh please. I was merely showing that I had studied the topic in the past and that I had something to back up my statement. It's not like I expect an award for the paper; I didn't even get an "A" on it!

Whether or not minorities are over represented in combat shoud be an issue in an all volunteer Armed Forces?

This is an issue??

Cut me a friggin' break...not like we're talkin the prison

system....

They volunteered people.....freely and wantonly....

Back