Line And Bases Have Same Interests

Moveon

Mar 2, 2004
I get the sense that some of the AMFA supporters on this board want to create divisions between the line stations and overhaul bases. But the fact is that our interests are tied together and we need to work together to build unity. It is true that the TWU has put considerable energy into keeping all three bases open and protecting our members jobs on the bases. But the shutdown of one or more bases would have been a disaster for members at the line stations.

If we lost thousands of jobs from the closure of one or more bases, mechanics on the bases would have bumped members on the line stations causing thousands of line stations mechanics to end up on the street. I have heard that a local like Miami that has a membership with relatively low seniority, would have lost 50% of its members if MCI and AFW had been closed (or, in the case of AFW, sold off to a third party contractor).

We need to work to bring our membership at the line stations and overhaul bases together. Members at the bases need to give greater consideration to the line station issues and the line also needs to recognize that they will be hurt if the bases are closed.

So here is a challenge:

No matter what organization represents our members, we still need to address these divisions. Therefore, put aside the issue of TWU vs. AMFA for a minute. What concrete steps can we take to build greater unity between line stations and bases?

Moveon said:
I get the sense that some of the AMFA supporters on this board want to create divisions between the line stations and overhaul bases. But the fact is that our interests are tied together and we need to work together to build unity. It is true that the TWU has put considerable energy into keeping all three bases open and protecting our members jobs on the bases. But the shutdown of one or more bases would have been a disaster for members at the line stations.

If we lost thousands of jobs from the closure of one or more bases, mechanics on the bases would have bumped members on the line stations causing thousands of line stations mechanics to end up on the street. I have heard that a local like Miami that has a membership with relatively low seniority, would have lost 50% of its members if MCI and AFW had been closed (or, in the case of AFW, sold off to a third party contractor).

We need to work to bring our membership at the line stations and overhaul bases together. Members at the bases need to give greater consideration to the line station issues and the line also needs to recognize that they will be hurt if the bases are closed.

So here is a challenge:

No matter what organization represents our members, we still need to address these divisions. Therefore, put aside the issue of TWU vs. AMFA for a minute. What concrete steps can we take to build greater unity between line stations and bases?
Moveon, I do not see any attempt by AMFA supporters to divide the line and overhaul. It is the twu and twu supporters that attempt this tactic. AMFA supporters agree with your post that we are all AMTs that strive for one thing... a safe, airworthy aircraft.
The tax payers are the ones that are keeping the overhaul bases open. It is the twu that is allowing of the INsourcing.

We can not put aside the twu vs. AMFA issues because it is the twu that is allowing the erossion of our profession and it is AMFA that wishes to protect it.

Moveon,

I think you have a great idea! If we are still divided when 2006 comes around we'll be in trouble no doubt. I have talked to many people around the system and one of the most raised issues seems to be the cost of living. I think we should pursue a COLA for those members in the high COL areas of the country simply because it's the right thing to do! I don't believe that people should be forced to live away from their native areas of the country in order to make the same dollar. And I think the maintenance bases should be an advocate along with the lines on the issue. As a matter of fact, since the bases carry most of the collective votes, the bases should champion the cause! I also challenge the readers and participants of this board to come up with constructive ways to support our friends and allies at both the lines and bases. We have many things in common, let’s try to address those things and get back on track!

To Moveon

You do realize that a mechanic in Tulsa would get 50 percent less pay than a mechanic in NYC.

You know as well as I do that AArogant airlines will not bump up he NYC mechs to 120 K per year. I think they will bump the Tulsa base down to about 30K per year.
Can you live on 30k ? ? I know the guys in NY are having a hard time and working at least 2 jobs. But I am all for a COLA we should have implemented it long ago I think a lot of people would have benefited including the company. The only ones who may have lost would have been the inept twu less dues money from the majority making less. :lol:

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/servlet/A...000&ownrent=own

Paste the link in yor browser to see COLA

Moveon said:
So here is a challenge:

So now comes the great TWU supporter seeking an alliance with the line stations. You cannot just cast aside the AMFA vs. TWU issue, which is what brought you to the point of finallly understanding and recognizing the need for unification. For years the Tulsa TWU Presidents have concealed the division from the Local 514 Membership and even propagated further division using the structure of the TWU to stomp on the line mechanics needs and desires. And now you come here looking for unity? The only reason you see the issue now is becuase of the fear AMFA has generated within the TWU Leadership of the changes sought by skilled professionals. AMFA supporters are not creating the division you speak of, we have all been living the division for twenty plus years, and AMFA is the answer!

You want a concrete foundation to build unity? Start at the Constitution and work your way to the Local level. Better yet, simply vote for change.

Number One - For years the line has been signing AMFA cards wanting a craft union, and Tulsa until late has always stood against this idea. Even today, the majority in Tulsa fears a democratic vote of the membership. Want to form an alliance with the line? Then give them AMFA. Give them open and honest communication from a craft union, instead of one-sided industrial union BS. Just look at the Tulsa World advertisements purchased by the line to educate you about the truth if you doubt this to be true. Want to give the line mechanic the ultimate? Demonstrate the willingness to fight for a cause, instead of cowering in fear everytime a challenge comes your way.

Number Two - Line Mechanics have financially, and in other ways been very supportive of Tulsa Based AMFA Organizers. How do you think these drives are funded? AMFA has not funded these campaigns for change, it is funded by grassroots out-of-pocket collections, and that financial support has always been mostly from the line.

Number Three - The TWU as recent as 1999-2000 attempted their failed version of unification and pacification by implementing "Self Determination" and "Seperate Negotiations". This simply led to the TWU Dictators removing elected officials from TWU office or demanding letters of allegiance from the elected Local Officers. This was done because these ideas of hybrid unionism (AMFA-Lite) that Jim Little championed also failed the line mechanics. Some TWU Officers signed the letters without true allegiance (lied) to maintain internal power of the TWU and they are now paying the price politically with other line mechanics for those actions, while others refused to sign and were removed from TWU elected office. The line mechanics have no reason to ever accept another offer of "unification" or "change from within", because all TWU attempts have turned into more lies, more failure, and much less democracy than was in place before the offer. Jim Little is the largest liar, and the main reason for this failure, but there is a deeper reason why this didn't work. (see below)

Number Four - It is impossible to attempt to force craft union philosophies into an industrial union structure. This is an oxy-moron and will lead to further disaster. Thus AMFA-Lite has never worked and will not work in the future. The IAM attempted the same tactics, and they also failed miserably. There is no such thing as a hybird form of unionism, that is why the AFL-CIO is failing, because it is also a failed experiment in this hybrid form of unionism. Since the merger of the AFL craft unionist with the CIO industrial unionist, the hybrid idea has nearly destroyed organized labor, by reducing organized workers to less than 12%of the national workforce, and most of that is Government workforce, not private sector workers. Forget the hybird idea, it is a proven failure. Either embrace craft unionism and choose AMFA, or embrace industrial unionism and choose the TWU. And more importantly, embrace the idea of an NMB ballot to allow the majority to choose which union philosophy the group will embrace as a whole.

Finally - If you really want to re-unite your AMT membership, vote for AMFA, bringing the fight of the mechanic, for the mechanic, by the mechanic, to American Airlines, is the only way to begin the long road of re-unification. Remember, the idea is not only to unite overhaul and line mechanics at American, the idea is to unite ALL MECHANICS of the industry, including third part overhaul technicians into one union. Making half-witted copy cat attempts to appear pro-mechanic by trying to champion a cause like the Charles Taylor awards and recognition of early industry mechanics like the TWU has recently done, is doing nothing but inflaming the situation. Everyone knows that Ken McTiernan and other line professionals are the pioneers of this idea. Remember the picture of the TWU Local Presidents with O.V. Delle-Femine that stirred the retaliation by the TWU? That picture was taken at a Charles Taylor FAA award ceremony. And who was the largest witch hunter to seek punishment of those in the picture? TWU Local 514 Officers, that's who! And now Jim Little and the ATD of the TWU attempt to run with this idea as if they are the champions of advancing the profession. What a weak farce the TWU has become. The line mechanics will only be as supportive of overhaul as overhaul is supportive of them. If you want to reach out with an olive branch to the line then advocate an NMB Election and Vote for AMFA. Attempting to stifle democracy by utilization of company resources, while both AA and the TWU fraudulently inflate the eligibility list with deceased, retired, resigned, while at the same time acting as though there is hope for unity, is nothing more than stupidity and disrespect for the democractic process. In addition, this conduct does NOT demonstrate one ounce of seriousness that the TWU will ever be the right choice for the professional Aircraft Maintenance Technician. It reaks of more "without further ratification" leadership, only this appears to be "without further voting", the TWU will remain your union of choice. The attempts to prevent the election is a clear indication of what is wrong with the TWU. And this activity is very disrespectful to the intelligence of these individuals. The AMT does not need AA nor the TWU to save them from themsleves by attempting to deny an election. These grown men and women are fully capable of debating the issues and casting democratic votes for the representation of their choice.

And if you have the time, read this and think about what it means to your future and your profession.

The Concept of “Craft or Classâ€￾

This is Federal Legal concept “Craft or Classâ€￾

In accordance with the Railway Labor Act, the Federal Government has decided that certain work groups have a mutuality of interest at the bargaining table and in advancing worker related issues, and that groups outside of that particular craft or class should have no participation in how the union is run or at least in the initial decision as to who represents that work group. And so Pilots vote with Pilots, and Flight Attendants as matter of law are prohibited from voting with the Pilots. And in turn, the Pilots are prohibited by law from voting with the Flight Attendants because they are considered to be in different Craft or Classes by the National Mediation Board. And Mechanic and Related Workers within the Airline Industry are entitled by law to vote just amongst themselves.

Supporters of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) believe that it comprises our mission to remain associated within a union structure with other crafts or classes that according to Federal Government do NOT share our mutuality of interest. The mission is further compromised when we remain associated with other crafts or classes within the union structure of “majority ruleâ€￾ and our particular craft or class is the minority in size. The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) is the only union in this current debate at American Airlines that says “We will forbid ourselvesâ€￾, it will be unconstitutional for us to go and represent baggage handlers, flight attendants, or passenger service clerks, and we will not let ourselves do that because this would compromise our mission. We wish the baggage handlers and other crafts or classes on the property the very best, but they cannot pick our pockets, we wish them to get the very best on their own, but they should no longer be allowed to ride on our backs. In other words, it is time for the airline industry to decouple the mechanic vs. baggage handler pay and benefit structure. It is suffice to say that since deregulation of the airline industry which since enactment has created enormous competition and pressure on airline ticket pricing, and that has resulted in the craft or class of mechanic and related workers suffering in economic buying power, and especially when compared to the Pilots and Flight Attendants who at American belong to craft specific unions. In the mid 1970’s, the Flight Attendants of American Airlines were also represented by the Transport Workers Union of American (TWU), and just as the mechanics today seek a change to a craft specific union, they also left the TWU in favor of the independent Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) The craft or class of Mechanic and Related at American Airlines can no longer afford to remain in an organization that advocates a linking of different work groups that according to law do not share a mutuality of interest.

Regardless of good or bad economic times, and regardless of whether the union is negotiating concessions to prevent a bankruptcy filing or negotiating from economic growth with corporate profits, the formula by which the economic pie is divided amongst the union membership is a union decision. The recent concession are a clear case in point, because American Airlines was demanding $620 Million in concessions from the TWU, but how those give backs were divided up was a union decision, not a company decision. And the facts are clear, that the craft or class of Mechanic and Related at American took more than our fair share of that amount, and it is also clear this was a union decision.

AMFA IS THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR SKILLED TECHNICIANS

So here is a challenge:

I know this sounds too simple, but it is a necessary step, we (at Local 514) need to get a Chairman of Maintenance (the mechanics advocate!) who will fight for us and be available when needed. Creasor is NOT the man for this job!!! This job done right could make great efforts in solving some "problems" I think!

twuer said:
I know this sounds too simple, but it is a necessary step, we (at Local 514) need to get a Chairman of Maintenance (the mechanics advocate!) who will fight for us and be available when needed. Creasor is NOT the man for this job!!! This job done right could make great efforts in solving some "problems" I think!
Hmmm, if this was the case under the AMFA Constitution you could have initiated a recall long ago, instead of suffering for three years with what you consider "the wrong man for the job".

Maybe the sleeveless macho man Hammack will run and replace him. Then we can watch him intimidate his way to victory. I heard he was professional cock fighter before the ban.

Look what's happening now!

Creasor stands up to support Howard and Thompson and the twu has now turned their back on Creasor.

Please explain the last successful recall under Amfa? And the last unsuccessful attempts?

Under the TWU it takes one member to call for an investigation. We all have seen first hand how the system works.

Under the TWU it takes one member to call for an investigation. We all have seen first hand how the system works.

Yes we have, Randy Mcdonald decides he don't want you as a shop steward he just put who he likes in place.

Moveon:

Do you want more of a unity between the main bases and the line stations?

For starters, how about regional pay?

Decision 2004 said:
Hmmm, if this was the case under the AMFA Constitution you could have initiated a recall long ago, instead of suffering for three years with what you consider "the wrong man for the job".

Maybe the sleeveless macho man Hammack will run and replace him. Then we can watch him intimidate his way to victory. I heard he was professional cock fighter before the ban.
What, bad blood between you and Hammack??? If he does run, he would make a better Chairman than that backstabbing Creasor! I know, why don't you run for it. Oh yeah, I forgot, you're a welder aren't you??!! That's okay, Creasor doesn't have his A&P either.

I heard he was professional cock fighter before the ban.
So, why don't you ask him Dave. Oh, on second thought, I think you just put that so you could say that "C" word!!!! :shock: What a man you are!!!!!

Bill:

Why do you hate the members of the craft and class who are unlicensed?

So I suppose that Randy McDonalds attempt to do away with line premiums and shift differentails to get guys in Tulsa an extra holiday was supposed to be something to unite us?

With the bulk of the concessions targeted against those that could afford it the least the fact is that the leaders of Local 514 and 530 deliberately targeted line mechanics, many of whom live in high cost areas to minimize the impact on those who they claim are at risk. THey did this in part because they knew that the line stations wanted AMFA regardless.

The fact is that we would have been willing to fight to keep overhaul, yes even walk out on strike to protect them but the leaders of those two Locals were so desperate to sell out everyone we never got the chance.

If there is to be greater unity between the line and overhaul then the line must be given the ability to share their concerns, challenges and perspective with those in overhaul.

Our members have requested on several occasions to be able to attend a Local 514 membership meeting but they have been denied by their E-board.
Thats why we took out the ad in the Tulsa World. We recieved a lot of positive response from Tulsa, (along with a few negative) and if we could communicate more without the interference of the International, who has its own objectives, I'm confident that the majority of Tulsans would agree that the high costs that we encounter must be given some consideration.

I would say that I'm not in favor of regional pay under normal circumstances but if the guys in Tulsa are willing to agree to work for less, based upon their costs and it puts us out here on the line at an unreasonably low level then something would need to be done. Its not fair to the guys out on the line that they should be forced out of this career because they are in the same union with people who work under completely different circumstances. Being in a union should not drag you down, it should elevate everyone.

The TWU however could care less about the line guys because they figure that since we are a minority all they have to do is sell it to overhaul and they can insure that they continue to recieve their $3.1 million from the company. As long as they have overhaul in their pocket and keep us fighting with each other they feel that they are safe.

Latest posts

Back