Lousy service from American

Philip Kibak

Jan 22, 2020
We traveled to Italy during the Christmas holiday to visit our son who was spending a semester abroad; the airline (American), however, sent our bags to Spain and didn't reunite us with them for 4 (yes, 4) days. After several go-rounds with them they finally offered my daughter and I the paltry sum of $100 each in compensation (none for my wife probably because she hyphenates her surname). Do you or your readers think this is fair? Personally, I think they should reimburse the full cost of the fare because not having our luggage pretty much destroyed my enjoyment of the trip. Do you or your minions think I'm being too petty?

We traveled to Italy during the Christmas holiday to visit our son who was spending a semester abroad; the airline (American), however, sent our bags to Spain and didn't reunite us with them for 4 (yes, 4) days. After several go-rounds with them they finally offered my daughter and I the paltry sum of $100 each in compensation (none for my wife probably because she hyphenates her surname). Do you or your readers think this is fair? Personally, I think they should reimburse the full cost of the fare because not having our luggage pretty much destroyed my enjoyment of the trip. Do you or your minions think I'm being too petty?
It's the norm. Asking for reimbursement of your airfare is being petty and unreasonable. You did get your bags finally and you got some compensation. I flew to ATL one time and bags went to LIM. One leg flight. Same deal, took 4 frustrating days to get the bags. Received the same compensation you got. I feel your pain but this is how it's handled.

Richard is right, unfortunately.
May I ask how much they were charging you to deliver the bags round trip?
I would think they would have at least offered some future vouchers too. But at least the cost of what they charged you to get bags round trip, PLUS a little for the 4 days of not having needed items on Vac, PLUS whatever cost you endured to replace absolute needed items, IE; bathroom items, even makeup and beauty items that are of the norm. etc... I would even expect a little padding on top just for the troubles, as I am sure you spent a good 4 days with time on the phone talking with airline people. But to expect the entire airfare? Doubt that will happen. After all they did get you and yours there and back safely. No, not all comfortable, but they did follow thru with that part.
What I would suggest is the airline you used (as you never did post what airline) to offer you and yours a very, very cheap second trip, the same trip, or a different one at a very discounted cost if not free for you as a "I am sorry for your last trip."
Good luck, but if still not satisfied I would change airlines in a heartbeat. The $100 refund sounds to me as if they simply refunded you the luggage fees. The louder you get on social media the more they might do for you as long as you do it in a professional and courtesy manner.

Forgive me, you did mention the Airline in the title, sorry bout that.

It's the norm. Asking for reimbursement of your airfare is being petty and unreasonable. You did get your bags finally and you got some compensation. I flew to ATL one time and bags went to LIM. One leg flight. Same deal, took 4 frustrating days to get the bags. Received the same compensation you got. I feel your pain but this is how it's handled.
I disagree that it's petty and unreasonable; we had a contract -- I pay and expect transport for myself & luggage (at the same time); AA didn't uphold their end.

I disagree that it's petty and unreasonable; we had a contract -- I pay and expect transport for myself & luggage (at the same time); AA didn't uphold their end.

Posting your displeasure on Twitter will net you the most results that you will see. They don't like negative tweets from customers.

Philip sometimes baggage has to be sent separately due to weight restrictions. Happens all the time. So no, you have no contract stating your baggage will be sent "at the same time". I am sorry for your inconvenience and I agree you are entitled to "some" compensation but full airfare...... absolutely not. There are many people who contribute to you arriving at a destination, The pilots who fly the route, the flight attendants who see to your boarding and safety, the gate agent who process your ticket, the mechanics who maintain your aircraft, fleet service who performs ramp duties, the people who fuel the aircraft, office workers who do the accounting. It takes a small army to provide you that transportation and by demanding a full refund you are disregarding all the contributions of all the parts of your trip that went right. Please explain to me how that is fair?

Did American get you and your family to Italy safely and you were able to see your son? Not enjoying Italy with your family because you were inconvenienced is on you.

Kind of petty I think

Last edited:
How you people can stand up for this **** bird company is incomprehensible...

Bunch of arseholes that have no business running this corp are in charge and you dipshites defend them? Good grief...

Reactions: bigjets
I think they should reimburse the full cost of the fare because not having our luggage pretty much destroyed my enjoyment of the trip. Do you or your minions think I'm being too petty?

Anyone who refers to people as "minions" is clearly being petty....

And no, you're probably not getting a refund. You got to and from Italy, right?

If you let the lack of luggage destroy your enjoyment, that's on you. Life happens.

Philip sometimes baggage has to be sent separately due to weight restrictions. Happens all the time. So no, you have no contract stating your baggage will be sent "at the same time". I am sorry for your inconvenience and I agree you are entitled to "some" compensation but full airfare...... absolutely not. There are many people who contribute to you arriving at a destination, The pilots who fly the route, the flight attendants who see to your boarding and safety, the gate agent who process your ticket, the mechanics who maintain your aircraft, fleet service who performs ramp duties, the people who fuel the aircraft, office workers who do the accounting. It takes a small army to provide you that transportation and by demanding a full refund you are disregarding all the contributions of all the parts of your trip that went right. Please explain to me how that is fair?
There are many people who contribute to you arriving at a destination, The pilots who fly the route, the flight attendants who see to your boarding and safety, the gate agent who process your ticket, the mechanics who maintain your aircraft, fleet service who performs ramp duties, the people who fuel the aircraft, office workers who do the accounting. It takes a small army to provide you that transportation
Didn't Parker say that these employees were not essential to profits at the airline and therefore profit sharing should not apply?

Bunch of arseholes that have no business running this corp are in charge and you dipshites defend them? Good grief...
I will respond to why I said not a "full" refund, since you think that is standing up for the co.
First and foremost, at least in my case as well as others as I read them, I was NOT standing up for the company at all. I was simply representing the outcome of a situation. I would have said the very same of any co. that this happened with. For someone to expect a "full refund" for just "late" not even "lost" luggage is not being reasonable. (Philip don't take that comment personal please) Almost 100% of all passengers that have anything slightly go wrong, delay, bumped to a later flight, weather, F/A pissed them off, turbulence, spilled drink, bad food, no blankets or pillows, etc... Ok you get the idea---- Most all want a "full refund" what they do not understand as LuLu pointed out above is the cost the airline has already endured getting him and his family there and back safely. Fuel cost alone is huge for that trip not to mention all the "behind the curtain" employee cost that leads all the way there and back. He should in fact get more than what he got, I do agree with Philip on that, just NOT a "full refund". I still say follow up, post on twitter (be smart) and file a formal complaint that must get answered. Like I said some vouchers, discounted future flight, or even a small refund might be in order.
And here is another story: Philip-- Not saying this is you at all nor am I suggesting:-
There are folks out there (friends of mine have asked me) that will take a trip, nit-pick the most slightest issues they might have had, list them, and when they got their credit card bill (for entire trip) they want to get some back as they went way over budget so they would demand a "full refund" from the airline for the tickets. Airlines are aware of this and are prepared for it. So it will be hard if not impossible for him to get a "full refund" on late luggage alone.
Philip, also needs to understand we are not slamming him, just speaking of reality or say a little more reasonable and we are in the airline business. Now if Philip is still not happy with the final outcome he has the right to change airlines. Pretty sure Delta, UAL as well as some foreigner airlines flies that same route, heck JB might even service that route.

Who defended management?

I listed pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, mechanics , fleet service, fuelers, and office workers who do the accounting.

So again, what or who are you talking about?

Didn't Parker say that these employees were not essential to profits at the airline and therefore profit sharing should not apply?
We were not talking about Parker's attitude toward the employees.

We were talking about this customers expectation of a full refund.

Let's not turn this into something it isn't. We have many other threads for that.

We were not talking about Parker's attitude toward the employees.

We were talking about this customers expectation of a full refund.

Let's not turn this into something it isn't. We have many other threads for that.
Hold up. That directly correlates his attitude towards his employees whether we have other threads about it or not.