Machinists Win Major Dispute

This is a Monumental leap for Labor! KUDOS TO THE IAM AND ALL OF LABOR!

Who loves you baby?

Did I not predict this victory last week through my crystal ball.

Hey, how much crow can we send up to CCY. Going to need a s - - - load for everyone up there to share...hmmmm good, Chow down baby!

US Airways Statement on Court Decision on Airbus Maintenance Work
Tuesday October 21, 12:35 pm ET

ARLINGTON, Va., Oct. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways issued the following statement in response to the decision made today by the U.S. District Court for Western Pennsylvania granting the International Association of Machinists' (IAM) request for a Preliminary Injunction on the right for US Airways to use a third-party maintenance repair provider for work on 10 US Airways Airbus A319 aircraft.

The Story

My question is what happens to these ten aircraft now, especially the two that are already opened up? Will U employees be sent to ALA to finish the work on those two?

Management's entire argument was that they do not have the facilities to do this "in house".
--From PITBull's earlier post

I can only imagine that US Airways will have to send IAM mechanics to ALA, or leave the airplanes sit until work can continue.

If US is bringing back parked airplanes then I wouldn't hold your breath for the "road-trip".

I would be surprised if CCY's appeal is successful given the care with which the judge's opinion was written. He clearly took his time and gave a lot of consideration to the law, precedent and the totality of the contract before issuing his ruling.

Flying Titan said:
I stand corrected. CCY has already announced plans to appeal.
NICE ARTICLE BUT :up: LET ME UNDERLINE....THERE IS NOTHING TO ARBITRATE AND NOTHING TO DISCUSS...IT IS CONTRACTUALLY OUR WORK NO IFS,ANDS,OR BUTS!

:up: :up: :up: Congratulations to US Air techs on your case.They will keep losing on every
appeal they make and should save their money for more constructive things.

Wow. He really spanked the company.

I don't see this getting overturned on appeal. It's now a major dispute, and this guy went far enough to skip the TRO and issue a preliminary injunction. That's a pretty good sign that the judge believes the IAM will win on the merits of the case, and this thing looks relatively appeal proof, especially if you take the time to read the Conrail citations.

wts54 said:
:up: :up: :up: Congratulations to US Air techs on your case.They will keep losing on every
appeal they make and should save their money for more constructive things.
Agreed...Like new tooling , clean,efficient and professional looking facilities in PIT for a positive change...and bringing back the work force to accomplish the work in a safe and timely fashion...to the satisfaction of all concerned.

CLT and PIT should , could and can accomplish any task asked of them in harmony at present....they just need the support they deserved from the start from the top to do it.

We have enough work for both base facilities to fuction for many years to come...and from a unified perspective.

Just do it Dave...It's in our house or nothing !!..You make the call .

Pound your swords into plow shares...and start some urgently needed fence mending Mr. Harvard MBA

I agree with the legal assesment in this thread, but the company was prepared for the decision or they would not have had the press release ready for PRNewswire.

This case was heard in U.S. Federal Court in Pittsburgh, but the appeal process could leave the State of PA. Then what?

This story could just be unfolding and the legal battle just begun. Moreover, it appears the company has alternate plans, with two A319s being returned for service from the desert in January (according to Resource Planning) and overhaul work stopped on two aircraft.

Coincidental? I think not.

See Story

Respectfully,

Chip

PineyBob said:
Well this is good news. It appears however that this is merely the beginning of a morale sapping, cash draining battle that could well bankrupt the company.

Please use good judgement because it would be a shame to win the battle and lose the war. The time is NOW for a concerted effort to present the case in the court of public opinion.
PineyBob,

We didn't pick this fight...Seigel did !!! We are just here to stand for whats right...and rightfully ours.

Should we win the battle but lose the war?...it will not be of the rank and files creation. They chose this course of action...not us.

Your warnings are falling on the ears of people with nothing left to lose...with the exception of maybe the upper 20% of the current staffing levels within maintenance and the related fields.

Do not think for a moment that this will not boil over towards the other labor groups for a scant second. If the IAM does not attempt to stop this madness in it's tracks and prevail in the end..the remainder will fall victim to alike tactics down the road , rest assured of that

The current leadership of U needs to make up it's mind now...that it's going to honor the verbage they themselves agreed too...and focus on running this company against other airlines instead of running people off...and utimatley running into the ground. We are at a respectable pause in hostilities for a brief moment...I think the time needs to be used for some good...instead of a build up for more bad. This too is CCY's call to make.

"This case was heard in U.S. Federal Court in Pittsburgh, but the appeal process could leave the State of PA. Then what?"

Not really correct. The next step is the company asks the same court for a reconsideration or stay of the injunction which will probably be denied.

Assmuning this happens, the company then appeals to the United States Court of Appeals - 3d Circuit. The court is officially situated in Philadelphia. A three judge panel would hear the case and rule on the appeal. If the company is then unsuccessful, US's real last resort (as the SCOTUS would be unlikely to take this case on cert) is to request that the 3d Circuit rehear the case en banc. This means that the entire 3d Circuit judiciary would hear the case. However, while the right to appeal a district court opinion is guaranteed, a request for rehearing en banc is not.

With all due respect Mr. Cap. Many Many of your posts in which you say, well I think this and I think that do NOT have a batting average of 1000 of the final outcome. Itrade doesn't like the history thing, but your history of predictions does not hold water. Your crystal ball is leaking like a sieve. Your stick is shaking badly Cap. Give it up already!

Respectfully,

Cav

AOG-N-IT said:
It appears however that this is merely the beginning of a morale sapping, cash draining battle that could well bankrupt the company.
Personally, I no longer care let them bury it! Davey Boy bit off more than he could chew and now he's choking, gee what a shame it is.

Upon hearing management appealing the courts decision one can only wonder how much whacked out Dave “the new Lorenzoâ€￾ must be. The odds of the Federal Judge being turned over are slim and he just will continue to have the disgruntled employees shoving garbage down his throat. I wonder if he even knows how bad he is getting it.

Beware other employee groups. The new Lorenzo will be coming to you next.

--Thanks to all the employees who have supported maintenance during this. While the war is not over (and never will be while “the new Lorenzoâ€￾ and team are here) we do appreciate your support.

Back