magneto leads

Spinner

Mar 21, 2003
Just curious:

The TCM mag leads (P leads) used to be phenolic type insulators on the end. Now they have a rubber type insulator like the spark plug leads.

I find that the rubber leads swell up and get hung up inside the mag covers. It causes the p lead to not properly connect or intermittently connect to the mag.

Is there a lubricant that you can put on the leads to make them slide in and out better (hmmm should I ask that question)
1.gif

looking for any suggestions

Is it possible that your new P-Lead is a "bogus" part? I can't imagine anyone introducing a rubber insulator in that application.

Any di-electric grease should work for you, even vaseoline. Clean them with an electro cleaner then lightly cover the rubber. I do the same with the leads. Also helps keep the weather(rain etc) from doing any shorting out and /or corrosion setting in.

Vaseline? I wouldn't use that stuff on anything in an airplane...except for the pilot if he has a chaffing problem.

You really shouldn't use any compound that isn't recognized in the AMM or suitable guidance material. Vaseline may be the cause of the breakdown of the rubber in the first place. It causes the rubber in condoms to break down too. Not only that, it gets really thin even at moderate temperatures.

DC4 compound is marvelous stuff though. It retains its conistency over a very large temperature range. I use it on my car door seals in the winter. A nice thin coat of the stuff keeps the doors from freezing shut when I wash it or when theres a melt/freeze cycle.

Tried several sources to buy the phenolic insulators. Doesn't matter where I get them they are all the rubber compound.

Seems to me champion doesn't like you putting DC4 on the spark plug leads, and since this seems to be the same material i'm wondering if the same applies.

anyhow DC4 it is until told different.

(damm i'm a newbie again)

Hey Spinner,

How's things out east?? Hopefully better than out here.. Our province is burning up this summer..

Anyhow, for your leads, if you are worried, just email a rep at the manufacturer.. I'd bet though that they won't have a problem with DC4..

Have a good one buddy..

Twotter:

Jeez where you been these days. Haven't seen much news from you on the board.
Yeah they sent my nephew out to show you guys how to put out fires. (Scary thought that is) :lol:

We can sure do with a lot less rain here any ways.

Like your suggestion. I probably will go looking thanks.

Back