Maui/salt Lake City Engine Fire

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Thank God for good pilots.

Last night a 67 from Maui headed to SLC had to make an emergency landing in HNL. Shortly after takeoff, on climb out, a huge BOOM was heard and the entire airframe lurched with a big jolt. No fire light was seen in the cockpit but the people in back saw fire coming out of the left engine and told them so they turned it off and fired off the bottle anyway. The FO was flying that leg but once the checklist was completed, the captain took over. (this Captain, btw, is one of the guys who has taken the early out but came back to help out in the mean time.) He said it took a few minutes to get the plane under control and it was "Mr Toad's Wild Ride" for a few minutes but everything turned out safetly.

Good Job!! :up:

Wonder if it's one of the HMV's Delta mis-management farmed out . You know the ones where quality and safety will not be compromised !!!
:blink:

Yesterday must have been the day for aviation malfunctions. Goes to show that no matter how much they make, pilots are trained to handle the problems thown at them.

Raizin,
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DL did all engine maintenance in house and in fact insources engine work from other carriers?

All off wing engine maintenace is done in Delta engine shops. On wing work done at HMV is done by the contractor. As a side note I heard one of the internal anyalyst just did a reliablity study on MD88s that compared DL worked HMV aircraft to vendor worked aircraft. He couldn't release the numbers but said the vendor aircraft were far less reliable coming out of HMV.

If "internal" means inside DL, then hopefully that means DL is wanting to get quality and is willing to make changes if the vendors cannot deliver. I'm sure there are performance clauses in the outsourcing contracts.

Just curious... how much on wing engine maintenance is done as a percent of total engine maintenance (line, letter check (which I presume DL does), HMV, off wing).

He said it's happening a lot lately. (he had another one similar in February). He said the planes just don't get enough time on the ground to be properly maintained. (I'd fathom a guess, it's not only Delta)

The engine surged and was shut down in flight as a precaution. Mtc is currently working the a/c in HNL.

The 767-400's have not made it to a HMV cycle yet. So this can not be blamed on Air Canada.

I don't know who the "he" is you're referring to, Fly, but the post above yours was referring to MD-88s which don't exactly fly to Hawaii. In fact, they don't fly very far at all so they do have plenty of time on the ground.

Beer Guzzler,
what causes engine surges and how are they corrected? I presume unwanted power could do damage to the engine. Is that true?

Yes internal means a DL employee. My buddy seemed to think his study has fallen on deaf ears. The maintenace cost are lower so it must be better. Never mind we are delaying flights. My budget looks better. My uncle tonight had a good theroy. Dl managment has been promoted to one level higher than they are capable of. An example is Peter. He does good in his job and get promoted. Peter can't really handle his new job but no one will demote or fire him so he stays there, one level above his capabilties.

WorldTraveler said:
I don't know who the "he" is you're referring to, Fly, but the post above yours was referring to MD-88s which don't exactly fly to Hawaii.  In fact, they don't fly very far at all so they do have plenty of time on the ground. 

[post="304233"][/post]​

I wasn't speaking of MD88s.

It was a 767 that "HE" was flying. Look it up! (I'm obviously not going to post his name but if you know enough people to check it out, his initials are PC)

What causes engine surges and how are they corrected? I presume unwanted power could do damage to the engine. Is that true?

It is likely a faulty EEC, Generator or HMU, however, some surge problems can result in engine changes.. The engine will have to be boroed and trouble shot..

Back