MDT loses mainline service

flyJOE

Advanced
Oct 26, 2005
Concord, NC (former PHL)
I just noticed eff. July 8, there is no more mainline service from MDT. The sked will have 4 CR7/CR9's to CLT, 7 Dashes to PHL, 3 Dashes to PIT, and 2 Dashes to BOS. How long has mainline a/c been serving MDT, back to around '75? All of the cities above have had mainline service at one point in the past. Very sad....

I just noticed eff. July 8, there is no more mainline service from MDT. The sked will have 4 CR7/CR9's to CLT, 7 Dashes to PHL, 3 Dashes to PIT, and 2 Dashes to BOS. How long has mainline a/c been serving MDT, back to around '75? All of the cities above have had mainline service at one point in the past. Very sad....
And their new terminal is nice. That leaves UA with the sole Mainline flight from MDT. How's ABE,do they still get the 1 M/L?

And their new terminal is nice. That leaves UA with the sole Mainline flight from MDT. How's ABE,do they still get the 1 M/L?
MDT also has one DC-9 from NW to DTW.

ABE still has the 1 A319 in the morning to CLT. The service at ABE has dropped considerably to 3 flights to CLT and about 5-6 to PHL. Quite a change over the past 10 years or so when there was mainline service to PIT, BWI, MCO, as well as CLT and commuters to BOS, LGA, & DCA. There was even mainline service with BAC 1-11s to BOS too. Things have changed...

MDT also has one DC-9 from NW to DTW.

ABE still has the 1 A319 in the morning to CLT. The service at ABE has dropped considerably to 3 flights to CLT and about 5-6 to PHL. Quite a change over the past 10 years or so when there was mainline service to PIT, BWI, MCO, as well as CLT and commuters to BOS, LGA, & DCA. There was even mainline service with BAC 1-11s to BOS too. Things have changed...
5 dash 8 to phl, 1 A319, 2 CRJ700 to clt is all we have. it sure is quite a change over the last three yrs

Unsurprising.

When AL took over PI, PI cities got attrited at a quicker rate than AL cities. Oddly enough, we often used MDT as a benchmark, which survived long after old PI cities of similar or larger passenger loads were expressed.

PIT and PA are no longer Mecca - PHX and the west is.

Get used to it.

I wonder how the PIT flights will do now that PIT really isn't much of a hub. And nobody in their right mind would fly MDT-PIT when they can drive downtown to downtown in about 3 hours.

Oh, well then it should be a domicile/hub then instead of Philly if you're to use Pittsburgh logic. :lol:
Not really meant that way, just that 3 Pennsylvania Airports Built New or Remodeled for them 2 downsized and 1 they discontinued. Field of Dreams Saying, "You build it, they will come". US' version "You Build it, We will leave".

I wonder how the PIT flights will do now that PIT really isn't much of a hub. And nobody in their right mind would fly MDT-PIT when they can drive downtown to downtown in about 3 hours.

State government people do it all the time. Moreover, in the winter (snow) and the summer (the season of orange barrels), you can't get downtown to downtown in 3 hours. Hitting either of the rush hours in PIT will push that up to 4-4.5 easy.

I would have to guess that Mainline service has been in MDT long before 1975. I know that ABE opened up in 1967 when TWA left town. As I recall, MDT had 2-3 Mainline flights to CLT for years while ABE only had 1. At one time US was trying to keep the MDT fares low in order to keep the local passengers from driving to BWI to fly SWA..... :blink:

BTV will lose its mainline service as well on the same sked change. Replaced by RPL EMB-175, along with one CRJ rotation going to EMB-170.

Any other cities losing mainline flights?

Latest posts

Back