Merger "facts"

Ukridge

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
As I have been away for a few days, I have capitalized on a few moments of indolence to regain a footing as to what is occurring in the world of United. Though I have no proclivity to frequent the board of USAirways, I have found on occasion that in a rather oblique manner it serves as a source of information that directly concerns United. So with a few keystrokes I was to learn that there has been irrefutable (though non-stated) evidence found that United shall indeed be exchanging nuptials (or the common law equivalent) with its erstwhile suitor USAirways.
Yes, indeed. This is stated as “fact.â€￾ Unequivocal. Not open to dispute, digestion, or discourse. Inevitable. Unavoidable. Sources, though unnamed, unsworn, unknown, and of unverifiable portfolio have made known to junior staff members that this is indeed the destiny of United.
Many of you are perhaps though familiar with some serious doubters throughout history. Doubting Thomas, Augustine, and even Werner Karl Heisenberg. As you remember it was Heisenberg who said: “This uncertainty leads to many strange things. For example, in a Quantum Mechanical world, I cannot predict where a particle will be with 100 % certainty. I can only speak in terms of probabilities. For example, I can say that an atom will be at some location with a 99 % probability, but there will be a 1 % probability it will be somewhere else (in fact, there will be a small but finite probability that it will be found across the Universe). Whoa! This is pretty heady stuff. Of course physics is not the fate of United but it is interesting to note that whatever field of endeavor it seems as if throughout the course of time there have been moments when even the most ardent adherents of a belief have wrestled with a twinge of doubt or two. (Yes, I admit the Heisenberg example is not really apt, but I tought I would throw it in for fun)
Yet, here we are faced with a conviction of United’s future matrimonial bliss that burns so hotly that it would make the Swiss theologians of ages past look to be of irresolute belief.
For those of us in the camp of doubt however, we are plagued by various issues. Issues of course that are readily and haughtily dismissed by those of a more perfect knowledge, but troubling to those of us with a more plebian and tyro grasp of the case. I for example, know the primacy of primary and secondary sourcing is in the academic world (though not in this world myself). Scholars argue passionately and deeply about source issues. Financial institutions are bound by rules and laws that govern sources and when and to whom they may impart precious information. I noticed a member of the bar on the forum. Perhaps he could lend voice to the rules in the courtroom as to how one backs up claims. Sources are important and must be verified and cross-checked. It is the balance that is demanded in all walks of professional life.
Although I am sure that this forum is not the exhaustive font of United’s business plan, I have neither seen nor heard mention of any creditor or banking house (particularly the two that are desirous of backing the exit) that has dropped hint of a merger.
Also interesting is that those who challenge this ardency of belief in the merger of United are excoriated as those worthy of the outer darkness. Yet, these “factsâ€￾ are never borne out, the sources never open for review, and no retraction made when in error. Hmmm.

Oh ye of little faith. Thee speakest heresy, and thy destiny be eternal damnation--aka, a center seat in coach forever.

I believe there is a good possibility that a merger between United and USAIRWAYS may happen... I think the fact that both entitys have had to go into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, will make the federal government more sympathetic, if merger documents are re-submitted....

With the advances made by the LCC carriers, and the routes that United and USAIRWAYS bring together, it seems the most obvious plan to provide profitability and survivability for both....

USAIRWAYS has great strength in its Carribean routes, Boston-Washington-LGA shuttle, company owned Regional Jet/plane division, as well as saturation on the East Coast of the USA...United a powerhouse Internationally in the Far East, West & Midwest, as well as good organization and size...
The current codeshare agreement seems to have been a win-win for both at this point, as well as, a great benefit to frequent flyers with both airlines....

I look for some news on this in the upcomming months...

It won't happen. It's like mixing cancer and aids...sure death. Better to treat the ailments seperately. And where is our favorite USAir Captain? And what happened to all his "secret sources"?

If I had to guess, I would say that our favorite captain is at an all you can eat crow buffet. :lol:

Sorry to have brought this topic to the fore again. It is just rather frustrating as a casual, but interested, observer to take the time to try to glean the latest news only to have the chief prognosticator himself stating that all others are wrong and that it is "fact" that a merger will occur. These statements are of course accompianed by the usual hangers-on who do his bidding for him by attacking those who would dare ask for corroborating sources and evidence.
As a cusotmer, my life will certainly continue with or without a planet-aligning ICT/UCT/Merger. However, for all interested parties in the discussion I grow frustrated by the intellectual bankruptcy and non-functioning cerebral vigour that is displayed by a shrill blowhard who refuses to enter into productive discourse and debate.
Cheers

Anybody believe we UAL wants to merge with terminally ill USAir?? What a joke.
All that will probably happen is the other majors will cherry pick the best and let
the rest of USAir fade into memory.Equipment, routes,gates.No USAir employees
will come to UAL.We have enough pilots of our own on layoff who can fly the planes,as well as F/S's and mechs who can be called back if necessary.Nothing
personal just business.

Ukridge:

Great post.

I have to agree that there is a small chance that UAL acquires UAIR (about the same as predicting the atom on the other side of the universe), however based on the evidence available, probabilities indicate that whatever happens to UAIR, it will be something else.

Fly:

Great analogy.

737nCH11 said:
If I had to guess, I would say that our favorite captain is at an all you can eat crow buffet. :lol:
The chipper is alive and well on the U board. The merger will happen period! For UAL's sake I sure hope not. Can you imagine sharing a cockpit with him? Savy

wts54 said:
Anybody believe we UAL wants to merge with terminally ill USAir?? What a joke.
All that will probably happen is the other majors will cherry pick the best and let
the rest of USAir fade into memory.Equipment, routes,gates.No USAir employees
will come to UAL.We have enough pilots of our own on layoff who can fly the planes,as well as F/S's and mechs who can be called back if necessary.Nothing
personal just business.
And how much money did United make in the last quarter? Not exactly the look of health. Nothing personal. Just the facts.

And how much money did United make in the last quarter? Not exactly the look of health. Nothing personal. Just the facts.

Well UAL has 3 Billion in cash and I think thats more than enough to cherry pick
some goodies.Nothing personal just a fact for you.

US IT WONT HAPPEN US IS CANT GET ITS HOUSE INORDER TOO MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THERE DOING AND RUNNING OUT OF CASH FAST.

I don't understand why so many waste energy in speculating on this. And in the process - bring up unpleasent scenarios such as many many people becoming unemployed.

But then again i guess i continue to expect too much from a message board. I'd rather waste energy speculating on a new United livery - to each their own. At lease my wasted speculation doesn't discuss massive job losses.

we fight ,we fight, and we fight, and we fight. guys enough already. we have no control of what will happen in the future . wether u is aquired by ual or not is out of our hands. the men at the top make that decision . its all about making money at the end. if a merger or acuisision of the carriers means that it will make money then they will do it. if not,then no. stop fighting over it. its getting very old. as for ual employees saying that they do not want u employees at ual. you have no control over that. if its gonna happen it will happen so get over and stop bashing the u employees. we did nothing to you guys. we are all in this together. remeber, u employees do not have control of what our management and your mangement does. if a merger happens then get pissed off at your mangement over at ual. not the u employees. we did not go to your management and begged for them to buy usair. its all bussines. so lets treat eachother with respect amongst employees. once again ,WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!!!!!

Back