Miami Fleet

boston

Senior
Aug 7, 2004
Rumor on the street at Miami is that US wants to change next bid to 2 shifts for full timers. First shift 8-4, Second shift 4-midinght. Talk about lack of flexibility, possibly the new bid isn't working with the banked hubs in Miami, doubt this new remedy will work. Wait times for AA D customs is now up to 5 hours and its a new facility. Federal gov would need to add a lot ore officers to get pax moving faster. However Miami is a whole different ANIMAL compared to the rest of the AA and US hub gateways.

Anyone else heard herd any rumblings?

Cheers

I hope this doesn't mean more USAIR aircraft are coming to MIA replacing AA 738, 757, and 763 domestic flying, that would be a disaster.  MIA needs high density aircraft not small dumpy USAIR Airbus planes that don't have power, IFE, and adjustable headrests.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Josh, I don't know a whole lot about US aircraft coming to MIA, but they have moved to the dumpy E concourse, and do have a few
flights, not to many in the grand scheme of things. I do know there is a some metal swaps scheduled. I think you can count them on 1 hand for both airlines. Yes, US aircraft are bare bones as planes go that are flying around the United States.

After watching some of the videos from new management, I have to say they are hokey, small town so to speak. Doesn't mean they cant make money, but leads one to wonder at what and who's' expense. But not to worry the East crews will make sure all is ok, they are the flying "hall monitors"

Cheers

I hope they don't take you guys flying, the BOS and MIA crews I have gotten to know are awesome and would hate to be stuck with USAIR on the routes I frequent. I really wish there was no stupid merger.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
AA will have enough gates by decade's end to have a 10-15% lead over the second largest carrier. That's as much "dominating" as Delta's 12% lead over AA at LGA.

But, I get it, only when Delta is the winner can we declare it a success.

For AA to have a 28-30% share of LAX traffic by end of decade is extremely realistic. No other airline will be able to top 16-18% with their current gate allotment. It's not "dominating," but its a powerful position and no airline will be able to catch up.

Reactions: 8 people
Josh  when I recently flew DL  the md 88 were not as good but the Bus 319 was really cool as was the MD90   So just stop FLYING US altogether  all of us knows you hate US so much

MAH,
this thread is about MIA and DL is not anywhere close to trying to challenge AA's hub at MIA although it is likely that they will add more domestic and some select int'l routes from there - but for now, DL's focus is on the west coast.

I presume you are referring to LAX.

I have no problem with acknowledging that AA can be a niche carrier at LGA and JFK but I once again make the point that there is no example of a US carrier being a niche carrier in someone else's hub - in this case two other carriers' hubs in NYC.

And again you can talk about the traffic share all you want... but the real focus of a company is revenue. If Dl can use its assets to generate higher revenues and focus its more limited resources on local passengers that generate the highest amount of revenue, then DL can indeed be a viable competitor in the local LAX market from a revenue standpoint. And it is also possible that UA is taking the same strategy, esp. in light of the fact that they have two hubs on the west coast right now, both of which are highly dependent on regional carriers which will be harder and harder to maintain.

As for MIA - which is the topic of this thread - I have long believed that AA would not try to split the Latin operation between CLT or other US hubs. Killing the CLT-GIG flight without any attempt to move it to another hub is an indication that AA isn't interested in adding a bunch of capacity from multiple hubs which will make defending MIA harder to do.

The same principle applies for the Atlantic. AA is faced with JFK and PHL and to a lesser extent MIA which all have fairly large amounts of local traffic. CLT has very little local traffic but connects a whole lot of the US to Europe - but has done it at reduced yields because of US' low labor costs.

AA's strategy on the west coast is completely opposite of on the east coast. AA has ONE hub which has viable int'l potential and even UA's exec asserted that LAX is too fragmented and too limited for any carrier to dominate it as carriers do in other hubs.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12734440/1/defiant-united-ceo-assures-earnings-gains-chides-delta.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

He also threw pmUA maintenance, DL, and a whole lot of other parties under the bus with his comments but there is probably some truth to all he says.

And as much as he wants to believe otherwise, DL is succeeding on the west coast, and it is not just restricted to SEA.

The fact that UA has 3 gateways to Asia from the western US, the same as DL, while AA has 1 can't be missed.

In contrast, AA has 4 east coast hubs alone, each with Europe service.

rationalizing the network is the first step to answering the fleet questions.

boston said:
Rumor on the street at Miami is that US wants to change next bid to 2 shifts for full timers. First shift 8-4, Second shift 4-midinght. Talk about lack of flexibility, possibly the new bid isn't working with the banked hubs in Miami, doubt this new remedy will work. Wait times for AA D customs is now up to 5 hours and its a new facility. Federal gov would need to add a lot ore officers to get pax moving faster. However Miami is a whole different ANIMAL compared to the rest of the AA and US hub gateways.

Anyone else heard herd any rumblings?

Cheers
That'll end well.

Two shifts? Sign recall and hold over, get OT on both ends.

737823 said:
I hope this doesn't mean more USAIR aircraft are coming to MIA replacing AA 738, 757, and 763 domestic flying, that would be a disaster.  MIA needs high density aircraft not small dumpy USAIR Airbus planes that don't have power, IFE, and adjustable headrests.

Josh

That's the plan - remove all AA aircraft and crews replacing them with US aircraft and crews - US is shutting CLT down as a hub and moving it to MIA - you will be forced to fly US metal exclusively in MIA

Just confirmed the plan with Parker

Reactions: 3 people
New Hires all over in Miami for fleet, now just read on Jetnet Flex vaca may be gone for management/support staff and TWU. This explains the big mucky muck meeting the other day, colors even changing. 2 shifts is not very friendly, is 5am shifts to 12am work for people and the HUB whets the problem. Pleanty of mandatory OT when weather rolls in, but I guess with theses shifts it would eliminate the 7 hour thing TWU has going. Wolf in sheep's clothing!!

at CLT there are two shifts, start times range from 0530 to 0630 with a few 0800 for fulltimers pm's are 1400,1430 fro the most part sometimes thereare some 1500.