Missouri Lawmakers!

MCI transplant

Veteran
Jun 4, 2003
<_< ----- Recently the Missouri Lawmakers, both Kansas City, and State, put together a pretty financial package of incentives to lure a Canadian Aircraft manufacture to MCI! That didn't happen! But now there is a neat little package ($$$$) just seating on someone's desk with nowhere to go! ------ I was wondering! Maybe if some of AA's representatives, and maybe even TWU's. They could give them a visit, and talk those Law makers out of some of that Money to save jobs here at MCI?? Might be worth a try? Don't you think?

<_< -----That's right!

Anything is possible,,,but you have to realize the investment in TULSA and by that city over decades will trump any other deal....The only way I see anything changing in that "promise" is the TWU caving in to company threats affecting work there.

Anything is possible,,,but you have to realize the investment in TULSA and by that city over decades will trump any other deal....The only way I see anything changing in that "promise" is the TWU caving in to company threats affecting work there.
<_< ----- Oh! Hey! No Contest!----- I'm not implying competing with TUL! I'm saying maybe if they came up with some cash, some jobs here might be saved! Example: At one time, not too long ago, they were talking about retooling our pneumatic valve shop. In other words "X" amount of cash, for a guarantee of "X" number of employees! They're still working on their first $42 million in improvements here at MCI. And the City has implied that there may be more where that came from! Maybe they could renegotiate that to include some of those tax incentives or other incentives that were ear marked for the Canadians!!------ Like I said, it's worth a try! But at this point my question is would AA Management even want to try, or have they set their plans in concrete? ------- There's "free" money here, now all it would take is for AA, and, or, our Union leadership to go get it!!!!!

<_< ----- Oh! Hey! No Contest!----- I'm not implying competing with TUL! I'm saying maybe if they came up with some cash, some jobs here might be saved! Example: At one time, not too long ago, they were talking about retooling our pneumatic valve shop. In other words "X" amount of cash, for a guarantee of "X" number of employees! They're still working on their first $42 million in improvements here at MCI. And the City has implied that there may be more where that came from! Maybe they could renegotiate that to include some of those tax incentives or other incentives that were ear marked for the Canadians!!------ Like I said, it's worth a try! But at this point my question is would AA Management even want to try, or have they set their plans in concrete? ------- There's "free" money here, now all it would take is for AA, and, or, our Union leadership to go get it!!!!!

Anything is worth a try.. I just added the twist to this scenario that might actually put the TWU and the "roll call voting power of TUL" on the proverbial chopping block..

But i will say this about contract negotiations...WE better stick together...

I think the best quote I can think of is that of a great American , Benjamin Franklin............

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."

<_< ----- Recently the Missouri Lawmakers, both Kansas City, and State, put together a pretty financial package of incentives to lure a Canadian Aircraft manufacture to MCI! That didn't happen! But now there is a neat little package ($$$$) just seating on someone's desk with nowhere to go! ------ I was wondering! Maybe if some of AA's representatives, and maybe even TWU's. They could give them a visit, and talk those Law makers out of some of that Money to save jobs here at MCI?? Might be worth a try? Don't you think?

I'm going to guess that Bombardier was just talking to Missouri state officials and others to put pressure on the union up in Canada. Kind of like how Boeing was talking about assembling the 787 some place other that Washington. US companies are not the only ones that play that game.

------ I was wondering! Maybe if some of AA's representatives, and maybe even TWU's. They could give them a visit, and talk those Law makers out of some of that Money to save jobs here at MCI?? Might be worth a try? Don't you think?

How about the taxpayers of KC / MO demanding their elected representatives to stop foolishly trying to give away money to corporations and instead spend the money wisely or refund it to the taxpayers?

I sort of agree wtih 777 fixer - it was more or less a bluff by Bombardier to get concessions from the Canadian unions and governments. KC / MO never had a chance. If you know even a little bit about Bombardier, you would realize that they're very efficient at feeding from the taxpayer trough. Bombardier defends this by saying that Embrear receives subsidies and as a result they need them as well to be competitive. But I digress.

How about the taxpayers of KC / MO demanding their elected representatives to stop foolishly trying to give away money to corporations and instead spend the money wisely or refund it to the taxpayers?

I sort of agree wtih 777 fixer - it was more or less a bluff by Bombardier to get concessions from the Canadian unions and governments. KC / MO never had a chance. If you know even a little bit about Bombardier, you would realize that they're very efficient at feeding from the taxpayer trough. Bombardier defends this by saying that Embrear receives subsidies and as a result they need them as well to be competitive. But I digress.
<_< -------F/F Isn't that a little short sighted? An investment in people and jobs here in K.C. by the City, and State is not a give away! One Dollar invested today can double and triple over time. Weather Bombardier used the locals, or not, makes no difference. It seems AA has made an art of doing just that! the fact remains that the City and State did put together a package. That package was never used. And I believe there is a possibility that at least some of it could be salvaged, and possibly turned to our favor. But ----- someone will have to try!

Who pays for this Corporate Welfare?

And where should the line be drawn on this type of politics?

Isn't there a more stabe industry than the Airline's for the Local Officials to buy jobs for?

Just a few questions.

It seems that once we learn to vote ourselves pork from the government coffers that debt load will collapse our society and our economy. Maybe that this where we already are and you may as well get yours brother.

Who pays for this Corporate Welfare?

And where should the line be drawn on this type of politics?

Isn't there a more stabe industry than the Airline's for the Local Officials to buy jobs for?

Just a few questions.

It seems that once we learn to vote ourselves pork from the government coffers that debt load will collapse our society and our economy. Maybe that this where we already are and you may as well get yours brother.

You know, as true as your comment is, you aren't the first to recognize it:

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic."

----- Benjamin Franklin

What the hell - let's just sell it all to the Chinese and hope they'll kinda-sorta take care of us after we've spent what little we get for what's left on our gee-gaws.

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, ..."

--- Ernie Marrs

<_< ----- You know something? It really blow's me away! I make a sugestion, that "maybe" could save some jobs, and y'all debate about wellfair and the damn Chinese! Now AA, and the TWU could go to the lawmakers and try and convince them that investing in jobs, here in MCI would be a good thing for all involved, or they can just sit on their hands and do nothing, while good jobs go down the drain!------ Now if y'all have another suggestion, I'de like to hear it!

<_< ----- You know something? It really blow's me away! I make a sugestion, that "maybe" could save some jobs, and y'all debate about wellfair and the damn Chinese! Now AA, and the TWU could go to the lawmakers and try and convince them that investing in jobs, here in MCI would be a good thing for all involved, or they can just sit on their hands and do nothing, while good jobs go down the drain!------ Now if y'all have another suggestion, I'de like to hear it!

Easy there Cowboy, we neither have a vote or a say in what your local's do there.

If you can get the money and save your ass, then by all means get it.

<_< -------F/F Isn't that a little short sighted? An investment in people and jobs here in K.C. by the City, and State is not a give away! One Dollar invested today can double and triple over time. Weather Bombardier used the locals, or not, makes no difference. It seems AA has made an art of doing just that! the fact remains that the City and State did put together a package. That package was never used. And I believe there is a possibility that at least some of it could be salvaged, and possibly turned to our favor. But ----- someone will have to try!

IMHO, there is something inherently wrong when you have to pay / give money to (bribe?) a company to "create" jobs. Especially Bombardier! Not because they're Canadian (foreign), but because of their history. If the state and local governments have too much money, pay down the debt, or spend it / invest on something else or better yet give it back to the taxpayers. That is a better way to help the local economy.

Actually, I don't know all the details of the KC/MO offer to Bombardier, but I have a good feeling that a few years down the road Bombardier would be back asking for more. Unless KC/MO would be able to extract something from Bombardier, but again civil servants usually do a poor job negotiating (tragedy of the commons = advantage Bombardier). As I said, I have not seen the offer to Bombardier, but I have a gut feeling that it was foolish as that company is so addicted & interconnected to Canadian government subsidies(various levels & agencies; just like Embrear) - that they would be foolish to upset that relationship - unless KC/MO offer blew everything out of the water (again advantage Bombardier).

Not to mention the idea being floated to "invest" to save jobs.

What if AA doesn't want to "save" those jobs?

What if AA has reduced the fleet size and maintenance requirements dictate that someone loses a job? Will the city government completely subsidize the jobs by paying full and benefit packages plus all rent utilties and cost to transport parts to the base? I doubt it.

Back