More Leg Room Survives

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
American Airlines To Keep Expanded Legroom In Coach Class

DALLAS (AP)
--More legroom in coach class is a good idea after all, say American Airlines officials after deciding not to move seats closer together again.

The world's largest airline has been reconsidering passenger comfort, its fare structure and other issues in advance of Wednesday's annual shareholders' meeting of parent AMR Corp.(NYSE:AMR) (AMR).

To boost capacity with little cost, Fort Worth-based American had signaled it would return to less legroom in coach class on some planes. But airline officials decided that passengers value two to four inches of extra space, so the expanded legroom will be retained in the vast majority of jets.

The carrier, after considering whether to provide satellite television at every seat and amenities, will focus its efforts on providing more passengers power ports. Although many passengers already carry their own entertainment aboard, electrical outlets could come in handy.

The airline, which faces mounting fuel costs and other challenges, was expected to experiment again with a simplified fare system. Gerard Arpey, American's chief executive, has been presented with a plan but has told airline executives it needed more work.

Revisions to American's business plan remain likely in coming months as the airline works through the research it has gathered from a core team of 100 front-line employees brought together in January to help change the carrier. Reports from teams of the employees are due in a few weeks, covering everything from how passengers get their bags to how they respond to various fares.

"It's an ongoing continuous improvement process, just as we've done with our cost cutting program," American spokesman Roger Frizzell told The Dallas Morning News in Tuesday's editions. They're "looking at our customer service and looking for options on how we can improve our interaction."

American officials are also considering upgrading about 100 planes previously operated by Trans World Airlines Inc. (TWA.XX).

The plan all along was to only do away with MRTC on the A300 and B757 fleets, which are predominantly flown in high-density, low-fare markets where passengers may want extra legroom but are not willing to pay a premium for it. There was never any intent to do away with MRTC on the whole fleet, as implied in the article. The article makes it sound like there has been some sudden change of course.

LaBradford22 said:
The plan all along was to only do away with MRTC on the A300 and B757 fleets, which are predominantly flown in high-density, low-fare markets where passengers may want extra legroom but are not willing to pay a premium for it. There was never any intent to do away with MRTC on the whole fleet, as implied in the article. The article makes it sound like there has been some sudden change of course.
There have been hints for the past year that the elimination of MRTC on additional types was on the table.

I don't get stuck in coach that often, but when I do, at 6'2" MRTC has been a godsend! There are actually a sizeable number of people who choose AA simply for the MRTC program. Although it wasn't innovative at the time, AA certainly went much further with MRTC than anyone else. I believe UA still has their "economy plus" or whatever they call it with more leg room but they charge a premium for that section of the back of the bus.

I don't get stuck in coach that often, but when I do, at 6'2" MRTC has been a godsend! There are actually a sizeable number of people who choose AA simply for the MRTC program. Although it wasn't innovative at the time, AA certainly went much further with MRTC than anyone else. I believe UA still has their "economy plus" or whatever they call it with more leg room but they charge a premium for that section of the back of the bus

Hallelujah! Wing must be mellowing in finding that AA did something right. And what’s more I must be too. After all of his ‘dick’ and KMA posts in other threads, I can’t believe I am writing that I agree with him.

Yes, "a sizeable number (quantity) of people", and
[a 'sizeable' (height) of people, and
a 'sizeable' (girth) of people]
"choose AA for MRTC."

As an overweight 6'1", I fall into all categories.

BTW Wing, I think the UA forward coach seats with more pitch are reserved for full fare Y pax and "elite" MP pax on any fare.

Nice agreeing with you for once.

Back