More Massive Layoffs for 2009 then? Even in Miami

Can you imagine flying trans-con in a single aisle?

Oy Vey! I couldn't handle it without some type of controlled substance!

We already fly MIA-LAX and MIA-SFO with 757 and 737 and we used to fly MIA-SEA with a 757 (the longest domestic route at the time)

<_< ------- And then there was the Convair 880's! The fighter planes of the Airline Industry!!! With 3-2 seating. :rolleyes:
I flew those out of SFO in the early 70's. 3 seats on the left, two on the right. 20 FC, 70 CO. 4 FA's.

Unique airplane, never a commercial success. Fastest accelerating, fastest climbing and cruising AC at the time. Wings had no leading edge flaps or slats. Actually had nosewheel brakes! No windows in doors so FA's were blind to outside conditions in the event of an emergency. A fun airplane to fly.

MK

:cop: TOPIC DRIFT! :cop:

While the stroll down memory lane is enjoyable, it is not germane to the issue of conditions at MIA. Please stay on topic.

Last time I was at MHV (ten years?), there were still a dozen or so of the TW 880's parked there. As of last October, there were still a couple intact, but with metal prices increasing, I suspect a few have been scrapped since my visit...

We already fly MIA-LAX and MIA-SFO with 757 and 737 and we used to fly MIA-SEA with a 757 (the longest domestic route at the time)

Technicality... At 2700 miles, MIA-SEA is the longest route in the lower 48. DFW-ANC, also served with a 757, is longer at over 3000 miles.

With the A300 pulldown, unless the plan is to offer wingtip departures on narrowbodies (highly doubtful), it's going to be hard not to expect layoffs at MIA. And they'll go beyond AA.

Cargo and bag room volumes are going to drop, half the FA's are required, bagroom, and the vendors get hit as well -- overnight cleaning is less complex, what's left of catering gets cut, they're faster to fuel, and there will be a few less people renting cars, eating in the terminal, etc...

Eric, I hate to appear dumb; but I am clueless about "wingtip departures" - as is Google. Please enlighten me?

I think it refers to the practice of scheduling two or more departures nearly simultaneously to the same destination. Two 738s departing within a half hour or 45 minutes of each other would replace the capacity of an AB6; they would be referred to as a wingtip to wingtip schedule.

With the A300 pulldown, unless the plan is to offer wingtip departures on narrowbodies (highly doubtful), it's going to be hard not to expect layoffs at MIA. And they'll go beyond AA.

Who needs wing-tip departures? Many 2x daily trips will be replaced with 3x daily with a spread out schedule. PTY will likely be the first to switch from the current 1x 757/1x AB6 to 3x 738, with morning/afternoon/evening departures. MGA and GUA will follow (GUA is actually 3x daily right now for the summer). SJO will see 4-5x daily depending on season. LIM might see 3x 757 or 1x 738/2x 757. GYE will probably become 10x 757. SDQ and PAP will gain a flight each, and AA will try to put one 763 rotation on each route for cargo.

MIA capacity will be up about 3.5% YOY this December, and will grow another 4% or so in 2009.

The lost cargo capacity hurts, but the savings in cutting out an entire fleet outweight it. Plus AA will be offering more business-friendly schedules thanks to increased frequency.

Once upon a time, dual aisle aircraft didn't exist, and people did just fine flying transcon & transoceanic on 707's and DC8's...

I never flew the 707 or DC8, but I can't imagine it being much different flying on a 738 or 757. I've done 8+ hours on the upper deck of a 744, which is only single aisle, and that's entirely tolerable without mind altering drugs or alcohol. It's somewhat limited for carry-on space when you wind up on one of the carriers who puts coach upstairs, but not at all different from flying on any other narrowbody.
I'd have to agree with you on that. I remember sitting in the middle seat in coach on a 747 to Ireland. It was as bad as any narrowbody seat.

I flew those out of SFO in the early 70's. 3 seats on the left, two on the right. 20 FC, 70 CO. 4 FA's.

Unique airplane, never a commercial success. Fastest accelerating, fastest climbing and cruising AC at the time. Wings had no leading edge flaps or slats. Actually had nosewheel brakes! No windows in doors so FA's were blind to outside conditions in the event of an emergency. A fun airplane to fly.

MK
Some 727s had nosewheel brakes too.

Whats with all the panic about MIA? With the declining dollar even if Latin America travel dies down European traffic will probably pick up.

Who needs wing-tip departures? Many 2x daily trips will be replaced with 3x daily with a spread out schedule. PTY will likely be the first to switch from the current 1x 757/1x AB6 to 3x 738, with morning/afternoon/evening departures. MGA and GUA will follow (GUA is actually 3x daily right now for the summer). SJO will see 4-5x daily depending on season. LIM might see 3x 757 or 1x 738/2x 757. GYE will probably become 10x 757. SDQ and PAP will gain a flight each, and AA will try to put one 763 rotation on each route for cargo.

MIA capacity will be up about 3.5% YOY this December, and will grow another 4% or so in 2009.

The lost cargo capacity hurts, but the savings in cutting out an entire fleet outweight it. Plus AA will be offering more business-friendly schedules thanks to increased frequency.

One of the big concerns was that can the delivery of the 737's keep up with the retirement of the AB3? For the 3 year plan..probably..for the new 1 year plan...doubtful unless other stations see deep cuts again..meaning more big systemwide layoffs and bumping, at least that is what some of our (group of employees) thoughts were. Also if the oil goes back up again and then some?? I don't think the 73's were meant to take the place of the AB3, at least not all of them. I do remember hearing that it was meant to be more of a S80 replacement because we still have way too many of the gas guzzlers of all sizes. I was looking at a transfer into miami next time it comes available. Where I'm at I'm near the bottom, but I'm not that high in seniority so if the bumps and roll continue, I'll probably get laid off in a year anyways even if I do get to Miami. I'm 2000. F/T FSC

Back