More Voluntary Furloughs For F/a In July

jbragg476

Advanced
Feb 27, 2004
When will it end....

Just got word that predecting and overage of 40 F/A's (mainline) system wide in July when the June voluntary's come back... VF9 they are calling it.

WHEN IS THIS CRAP GONNA END!!! And who wants to voluntary for 36 months!!!
(come back june 30 2007!!!)

Any thoughts?

What a crock.. .and they are always screaming because they are short
<_<

I just found out today that this went out on a CBS. I'll be honest, there are a lot more than 40 who want a furlough, regardless of duration at this point. If they open the furlough "flood gates", I don't think there would be much of a mainline staff left except for seniors who are ready to retire.

Pittbull,

Why don't they just offer a furlough for about 36 months, let all of these people who want the hell out to leave for at least a while. This way, all those who really want to be here and ARE willing to go wherever the are asked to go can come back. Wouldn't this end the in and out for at least 3 years?

This furlough is for 36 months. However, it calls for only 40. We have many more that want to go.

If its only for 40 and there are tons? of junior F/As who want to work and tons of more senior F/As who want a VF, why not just say seeya for 3 years then and let anyone who wants to get out of Dodge go? I'm sure that after 3 years there would be quite a few that would have found something else to do or wouldnt want to come back if we're still around. I would think this would be a semi early out alternative to get some of the people out of here (for at least 3 years) and bring in some of those junior ie- "Cheap labor" that they keep harping on that the other carriers have and are enjoying. What am I missing here?

Inflight knows that way more than 40 people want VF9....and only 40 positions at that. :rolleyes:
They didn't even bother waisting paper on this bid....they said you can only bid on TheHub. I think DEC is going to be the real ugly month....that is if any of us are still here.

I agree! The company keeps talking about saving money and need to cut cost lower but they wont allow more people to take the VF. Makes no since. Let more senior people take it that receives the higher pay and bring back the junior people that will receive the lower pay. They would never do this back when they offered all the other VF's. They would only allow what is needed when youd have tons more wanting to take it. Course that would have only made since if they had allowed it. Guess thats why they didnt! :down:

US Airways wont be an airline in 2007.. It will only be a bad dream... Do you guys live under a rock??

Just in case you do:
uair.gif

You canot hide from reality.. Fuel prices are going up.. US Air can't hedge fuel because their credit rating is so low.. (would you write a hedge contract for US Air?)

Fairs are going down.. See Philly. If you think SWA is going to stop in philly you are out of your mind. The east coast is fair game..

The Unions simply must help this company decrease CASM drastically, or liquidation begins in 2005.

U begins with only U,

The $1.2 Billion that labor sacrificed and the trip to BK along with $800 million from Leassors and vendors, only brought down the CASM 1/2 cent. We are still at .11 plus.

We are subsidizing a business model that is just too inefficient. And it would cost way too much to change the model at this stage of th game and start from scratch.

So, if you see no excitment from labor for this business plan that will literally gutt all of labor's contracts and still effect the CASM extremely small, and praying fuel doesn't go up anymore, we will not succeed. We will just be treading water if lucky. Labor just isn't the answer nor is another trip to BK.

We are doomed.

As I understand, when the last chopped up VF came about in Feb and Mar. over 300 applied and they only offered 200. So, this 40 is just a drop in the bucket,,,,,,a farce. I believe the companny sees and know that if they open it up a vast majority of reserves will take it and run like hell. :shock:

They should offer an unlimited amount of voluntary furloughs. There are hundreds whod happily leave for three years and all the company has to worry about is that they fly for free. Costs nothing.

Bob, most of the F/As are topped out already.

3 years is a nice long stretch and worth recalling people as they wont be in a revolving door. Costs would go down immensly if one or two thousand took a furlough like theyd like to and all the $20 F/As would jump at the chance to return- its still ALOT better than MAA. There are so many people who'd like to, in fact NEED a break from the madness and uncertainty, and have other income to fall back on... commuters, folks who are just mentally burned out, folks waiting for retirement, and the inevitable downsizing of the PIT base. There's absolutely no reason why they cant or should be doing this, particularly if they are serious about cutting costs.

The seniority situation at US is terrible. The system was not designed for people who've poured thier blood sweat and tears into an airline for 10 or 15 years to be considered "junior" and have a junior, reserve lifestyle. Some F/As are back to the income and lifestyle they started with decades ago.

The junior folks would love to be back, and it would not only save the company tons of money but also re-energize the company a little bit, which it sorely needs.

PineyBob said:
It makes perfect sense. They want to drive you out of the company not furlough you only to have have you come back at top of scale.
You're right Piney. They want people to quit without it costing U anything. That's why they're making it as miserable as they can for everyone.

Back