Mx problem? Blame God

Sep 18, 2007
Miami
WN has quietly changed their contract of carriage so all maintainence delays and cx's are covered under "Acts of God" and are therefore free from liability.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_5bc41260-e1ee-57fb-8f68-fe716e9f5bad.html

I think I hear floodgates being opened...

WN has quietly changed their contract of carriage so all maintainence delays and cx's are covered under "Acts of God" and are therefore free from liability.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_5bc41260-e1ee-57fb-8f68-fe716e9f5bad.html

I think I hear floodgates being opened...

Once again...taken out of context by the media !!! <_< :rolleyes:
To set the story straight...

In a statement from Southwest issued today...

Simply put, Southwest had never before defined Force Majeure Events in our CoC. In our latest update, we offered our Force Majeure definition which states that "Force Majeure Event means any event outside of Carrier’s control" and so the "mechanical difficulties" we refer to as Force Majeure events would be those outside of our control, such as airport mechanical difficulties (e.g., the airport de-icing system breaks) or Air Traffic Control issues (e.g., airport or regional tower goes down). We are not referring to our own aircraft maintenance difficulties, which would clearly be under our control. Our policies and practices confirm this interpretation. None of our procedures have changed—we still accommodate Customers exactly the same as we did previously in the event of our own aircraft maintenance issues occur.

Please, Sharon. Their minds are made up already. Do not attempt to confuse them with facts. :lol:

Anyone with a scintilla of intelligence would have realized that the issue as presented by the media would be totally out of character to everything WN has stood for the past 40 years--CUSTOMER SERVICE and fair dealing with the public.

Please, Sharon. Their minds are made up already. Do not attempt to confuse them with facts. :lol:

Anyone with a scintilla of intelligence would have realized that the issue as presented by the media would be totally out of character to everything WN has stood for the past 40 years--CUSTOMER SERVICE and fair dealing with the public.
:lol:

Thanks Jim :D

Once again...taken out of context by the media !!! <_< :rolleyes:
To set the story straight...

In a statement from Southwest issued today...

Simply put, Southwest had never before defined Force Majeure Events in our CoC. In our latest update, we offered our Force Majeure definition which states that "Force Majeure Event means any event outside of Carrier’s control" and so the "mechanical difficulties" we refer to as Force Majeure events would be those outside of our control, such as airport mechanical difficulties (e.g., the airport de-icing system breaks) or Air Traffic Control issues (e.g., airport or regional tower goes down). We are not referring to our own aircraft maintenance difficulties, which would clearly be under our control. Our policies and practices confirm this interpretation. None of our procedures have changed—we still accommodate Customers exactly the same as we did previously in the event of our own aircraft maintenance issues occur.

If that's the case (and I have no reason to beleive it isn't), why didn't Chris Mainz state that as clearly as you have here? Furthermore, I would think that any half-decent lawyer would be able to provide more specific wording that could protect Southwest from a mechanical failure not directly related to the aircraft, that could not be construed to include the aircraft. Not disputing what you're saying but those are the two things that are top of mind when I read your response.

Gary Kelly stated...

"I also wanted to report that our Contract of Carriage has received a much-needed face lift. It’s the seventh revision in our history, and we’ve restructured the document in order to make the layout more logical, easier for our Employees and Customers to read and understand. The language was simplified and at the same we didn't make any substantive policy changes".

Here is a link to our revised Contract of Carriage...

SWA Contract of Carriage

My point is not to try to impugn WN's outstanding customer service record at all, I'm just saying this is a very worrisome sign.

When I made reference to the "floodgates" I was thinking this might be an indication of a new shift that Southwest management is taking, and it looks to be that way. This change to the CoC, along with the "NEW" RapidRewards program are indicators of an airline with changing customer service priorities, and not always for the better.

Just read what some of Southwest's frequent flyers are saying:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/2011/02/20/20110220southwest-airlines-revised-rewards-program-debut.html

They are not happy with the changes this airline is making. It makes me believe that these new directions would have never been supported by Herb had he still been the boss.

All of the replies to that article....were most likely made without reading the CONTRACT of CARRIAGE.... it specifically states

Force Majeure Event: Whenever advisable due to Force Majeure Events outside of
Carrier’s control, including, without limitation acts of God, meteorological events,
such as storms, rain, wind, fire, fog, flooding, earthquakes, haze, or volcanic eruption.
It also includes, without limitation, government action, disturbances or potentially
volatile international conditions, civil commotions, riots, embargoes, wars, or
hostilities, whether actual, threatened, or reported, strikes, work stoppage, slowdown,
lockout or any other labor related dispute involving or affecting Carrier’s service,
[b]mechanical difficulties by entities other than Carrier,[/b] Air Traffic Control, the inability
to obtain fuel, airport gates, labor, or landing facilities for the flight in question or any
fact not reasonably foreseen, anticipated or predicted by Carrier.