******n E W S F L A S H ******

FWAAA,

You haven't seen the A&E show "Airline" then have you? Even if the show only represents a fraction of passengers, you would get the feeling that low prices aren't worth the other hassles that LLCs bring to air travel. I think SWA is seriously wishing that they hadn't given A&E such a free rein on the production of that series.

"No offense intended, but you don't really think that the DoT's airline on time stats reports influence travel purchase decisions, do you?"

Passenger's buying decisions are based on a number of factors, with price being a primary one. However the reputation for dependability (determined by on time record) is an important factor as well....it has been proven that when a flight operates on time, the perception of other aspects of the flight are improved as well. The seats seem alittle better, the food alittle better, the overall travel experience shows higher when flights are on time. This is a proven fact.

It's not a matter of whether a flight takes a 11 minute delay or a 12 minute delay, it's a matter of having and displaying a sense of urgency to get a flight out on time. Price may be a primary buying influence until a person misses their connection due to a late flight, then it's not about price it's about being on time and not matter how other aspects of the flight were...its all about not being on time.

TWA has a good "brand" thing going at one time...a slogan something to the effect that they had one mission...seeing that the passenger's mission was accomplished.
I think that kind of attitude is shown by many, but not enough at AA.

Desertfox wrote,

"TWA had a good "brand" thing going at one time...a slogan something to the effect that they had one mission...seeing that the passenger's mission was accomplished."

"One Mission, Yours" And we worked our collective asses off the last couple of years of our existance to prove that slogan. It's called working together for the common good...

TransWorldONE said:
"One Mission, Yours" And we worked our collective asses off the last couple of years of our existance to prove that slogan. It's called working together for the common good...
Well from the prespective of a passenger who traveled on TWA almost 250K the final 12 months prior to the BK filing I'd like to say; Thank you for all the hard work. It was noticed and appreciated.

FWAAA said:
After all, everyone says that consumers are only interested in price, right?
Not everyone. And it's about time the industry stopped pretending that all customers are alike, save for the amount of revenue that can be extracted from them.

For customers that travel rarely, of course they'll focus on price. They don't know anything else to look at when they buy. Those who travel frequently know the difference and are willing to pay some more to get the better product (whether that be an upgrade, or better on-time service, or better seat pitch, or whatever). It's just that they're not willing to pay ten times more.

Amen mweiss. As a business traveler, price is just one of the elements of my decision on a carrier. I always check the on-time records of my choices of flights.

I consider it along with the chances for an upgrade and the seating pitch, e.g., there is no fare low enough for me to ever fly on an AA 757 coach unless I have a confirmed exit row seat.

A reasonably competetive fare is a factor, but not the crucial one. My chargeable work time is my only asset. I take the most direct flights available. I can't afford to chase miles or use hubs for lower fares. My lost work time is always worth much more than any price difference.

But it is tragic for AA and the other old friend legacy carriers that I now see lower fares on direct LCC carriers than on hub/spoke routes to the same direct pairs that the legacies abandoned. And lets not go into the fact that the legacies often want higher fares to put me on a direct flight RJ than the LCC on a 737 or AB. It's ridiculous!

desertfox said:
"No offense intended, but you don't really think that the DoT's airline on time stats reports influence travel purchase decisions, do you?"

Passenger's buying decisions are based on a number of factors, with price being a primary one. However the reputation for dependability (determined by on time record) is an important factor as well....it has been proven that when a flight operates on time, the perception of other aspects of the flight are improved as well. The seats seem alittle better, the food alittle better, the overall travel experience shows higher when flights are on time. This is a proven fact.

It's not a matter of whether a flight takes a 11 minute delay or a 12 minute delay, it's a matter of having and displaying a sense of urgency to get a flight out on time. Price may be a primary buying influence until a person misses their connection due to a late flight, then it's not about price it's about being on time and not matter how other aspects of the flight were...its all about not being on time.

TWA has a good "brand" thing going at one time...a slogan something to the effect that they had one mission...seeing that the passenger's mission was accomplished.
I think that kind of attitude is shown by many, but not enough at AA.
The numbers do not tell the whole story of on time departures.I have left the gate on time and then sat at the end of the taxiway for 25 minutes because of an ATC hold.This caused me to miss my connection at ORD and I was a non-rev. I know that the paying customers were not happy although on paper the flight was an on time departure.This has happened to me several times in the last 19 years of non-reving.This was before 9/11 when 45 minutes between flights should have been an acceptable amount of time between flights to make a connection.

buhbye said:
Furloughs must be returned.

No peace until then!
Don't hold your breath.....This company would rather run short on F/A's, and continue to pay understaffing then bring Anyone back... It's really a sad situation because ultimately the customer ends up suffering.....This is AA's idea of great customer service....and you really think AA will be here in 10 years?

What Unity?

Flyboy4u said:
Don't hold your breath.....This company would rather run short on F/A's, and continue to pay understaffing then bring Anyone back... It's really a sad situation because ultimately the customer ends up suffering.....This is AA's idea of great customer service....and you really think AA will be here in 10 years?

What Unity?
Although I agree with you that AA knows it cheaper to pay understaffing than to bring back any furloughees. I really don't think this is AA's idea of great customer care. I think they are trying to operate as cheaply as possible, they know full well that things can not go on like this without the customer taking notice.

aislehopper said:
Hey clever boy

What does the "tm" in CHAOS tm mean?

ah
Hey Brainwashed,

If you and your Kool-Aid buddies voted the AFA in at Delta you would know what the "tm" stood for. You're so uninformed about what unity and unions stand for it's pathetic. Just keep your trap shut and let Delta continue the brainwashing.

What are you going to do if DL files Bankruptcy? How is Song treating you these days? The circus clown interior and paint job, makes you guys the laughing stock of the airline industry. :lol:

Hey Garfy,

Why waste my time posting one of your initials? You will deny it anyway. Besides if you could read you would see that I have posted several of your initials in different posts.

goingboeing said:
The numbers do not tell the whole story of on time departures.I have left the gate on time and then sat at the end of the taxiway for 25 minutes because of an ATC hold
We can only influence things we have some control over.....ATC is not one of them, nor are weather related enroute deviations, national emergencies, or Air Force One coming to visit.

We need to focus on what we do have some control over. There are plenty of opportunities there.

MiAAmi said:
Although I agree with you that AA knows it cheaper to pay understaffing than to bring back any furloughees. I really don't think this is AA's idea of great customer care. I think they are trying to operate as cheaply as possible, they know full well that things can not go on like this without the customer taking notice.
That's Just my point Miaami. You say that AA knows full and well that things can't continue to go on like this without the customer taking notice, but reality is the company continues to let it happen and the customer is noticing. If they really cared about good customer service they 1. Would have never let things get to this point and 2. Taken steps to remedy the situation. Neither of which has happned. Its the customer that keeps us in a job and the planes in the air.
If AA wants to survive then the company needs to take care of the passenger. THat includes fully staffing the flights, provisioning the flights, and redeveloping customer loyality. Instead, this company continues to pull back its staffing and flight provisioning leaving carriers like B6 to grab onto our past cusotmers. At least B6 fully staffs their flights with courtesy and friendly F/A's, that will even help put a passengers bag in the overhead, without a single grumble. Unlike AA where you always get the same story about how insurance won't cover F/A's in the event of an injury. They may offer the same pretzles as AA does but where else can u crunch on your chips and watch your own TV? This carrier is bound for the history books such as the greats of Eastern, PanAm and TWA.

What Unity?

Looks like the sick list is already dropping. As of this morning it was down to about 1050 +/-.

Maybe this will actually work.