Need Mechanic In Mci

Winglet said:
With the aviation industry in such dire straights over here, this organization should go find some of the outsourcers in Asia/Singapore/Malaysia to get free labor for their aircraft. Lots of 747s and the tooling to do checks there.
[post="262717"][/post]​

Unbelievable. Do you take money out of the collection plate on Sundays as well?...

Then again, it's not any different of a situation than hearing some of the trade unions around town quietly slamming Habitat for Humanity for getting people to donate their time and talents, as opposed to using union carpenters and electricians...

Hmmm. I've seen plenty of union guys donating time/talent at Habitat sites in my city. As militantly pro-labor/union as I am, I've never had a problem with it. There's a *big* difference between charity work, and "regular" work.

Kev3188 said:
Hmmm. I've seen plenty of union guys donating time/talent at Habitat sites in my city. As militantly pro-labor/union as I am, I've never had a problem with it. There's a *big* difference between charity work, and "regular" work.
[post="262748"][/post]​

Don't get me wrong -- there are a lot of union folks who also donate a significant amount of time to Habitat. But there are also cases where ordinances have been passed which require 85% masonry for all new structures, with the intent of generating work for union bricklayers. When Habitat started using Hardie siding (it's concrete) to comply, the ordinances were changed again to specify brick. That effectively locked out Habitat from building in those areas. Not only did it drive up the cost of labor, but it also contributes to housing discrimination...

Ever since the UNITED WAY scandal back in the early ninetys. I have looked at charities with a very skeptical attitude. I used to give my "FAIR SHARE" to the UNITED WAY, but after they found the leaders of that and many other "charitable" organizations living HIGH ON THE HOG with my contributions, I develeloped an extreme hate for charities. I gave my neighbor a donation one time to the American Lung Association. The American Lung Association then took my name, address and phone number and sold it to all the other "blood sucking weasel" charities out there! I still get calls to this day from these "blood suckers" I guess they figured they had found a "bleeding Heart" that they could get some cash from. Gotta pay for that limo somehow.

So they say the leader of this Global Peace lives in a modest house in Houston? They also said that about the leaders of the UNITED WAY before their SCAM was exposed. Who gonna pay the legal expenses for the volunteer mechanics if this Global Peace plane crashes somewhere?

Speaking of Dire Straights
Get your airplane for nothing and your mechanics for free, I want my MBV!

I'm starting my own charity. It's called Buy the Princess a new Harley-Davidson. If everyone on this website would send me $5.00, I could have a new Harley in my garage in no time! Thanks for your support!

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
Ever since the UNITED WAY scandal back in the early ninetys. I have looked at charities with a very skeptical attitude. I used to give my "FAIR SHARE" to the UNITED WAY, but after they found the leaders of that and many other "charitable" organizations living HIGH ON THE HOG with my contributions, I develeloped an extreme hate for charities. I gave my neighbor a donation one time to the American Lung Association. The American Lung Association then took my name, address and phone number and sold it to all the other "blood sucking weasel" charities out there! I still get calls to this day from these "blood suckers" I guess they figured they had found a "bleeding Heart" that they could get some cash from. Gotta pay for that limo somehow.

So they say the leader of this Global Peace lives in a modest house in Houston? They also said that about the leaders of the UNITED WAY before their SCAM was exposed. Who gonna pay the legal expenses for the volunteer mechanics if this Global Peace plane crashes somewhere?

Speaking of Dire Straights
Get your airplane for nothing and your mechanics for free, I want my MBV!
[post="262765"][/post]​

Princess, I could not have said it better myself. I think most of them are scams. Don't get me wrong I have no problem giving to those who are in need. But when you make a one-time donation and they keep soliciting you and they sell your name to others it gets aggravating. I remember the United Way scandal very well. The President made an obscene amount of money. AT AA in MIA and DFW they asked if I wanted to make a biweekly donation to the United WAy through payroll deduction. I told them no way. From what I understand, the United Way is a "middle man" for the charitites. They just take a cut for collecting and distributing the money.

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
....I used to give my "FAIR SHARE" to the UNITED WAY....
[post="262765"][/post]​
Same here, and I quit for the same reason(s) as you. Doesn't mean I quit donating to charities all together, though. It just means I'm a bit more discerning, and pick individual charities (usually on the local level), rather than blindly giving to "blanket" charities like the United Way.

Well, all you all have been successful in doing is diverting attention from the original reason for this thread. This humanitarian organization needs some volunteer mechanics to do a C check on a 747 in MCI. I don't know the details as to the time frame, but it has probably run out. I've never seen so many me, me me people in my life. Hope you all sleep well! :down:

onceoza said:
Well, all you all have been successful in doing is diverting attention from the original reason for this thread. This humanitarian organization needs some volunteer mechanics to do a C check on a 747 in MCI. I don't know the details as to the time frame, but it has probably run out. I've never seen so many me, me me people in my life. Hope you all sleep well! :down:
[post="262779"][/post]​

I am kind of curious who the repair station or repair authority for this check. It's not like you can just do a C-check without authorization. Point being, who is going to carry the liability for the work done, hopefully not the volunteers? Who is signing the paperwork? This is not like restoring an old plane to stick in a musuem, this bird is going back into service.

AMFAMAN said:
I am kind of curious who the repair station or repair authority for this check. It's not like you can just do a C-check without authorization. Point being, who is going to carry the liability for the work done, hopefully not the volunteers? Who is signing the paperwork? This is not like restoring an old plane to stick in a musuem, this bird is going back into service.
[post="262804"][/post]​

If it's truly volunteer or donated labor, typically all liability rests with the organization soliciting for volunteers.

Former ModerAAtor said:
If it's truly volunteer or donated labor, typically all liability rests with the organization soliciting for volunteers.
[post="262895"][/post]​

That's what I was hoping, but you would hate to see someone put his A&P license on the line on a project like this and cost him his reAAl job in the event the FAA yanked his license for something he signed off on on this plane.

AMFAMAN said:
That's what I was hoping, but you would hate to see someone put his A&P license on the line on a project like this and cost him his reAAl job in the event the FAA yanked his license for something he signed off on on this plane.
[post="262900"][/post]​

I'm confused. Yes, it would be a shame if a licensed professional lost their license, but shouldn't they lose their license if they are negligent?

IMO, if a licensed professional performs negligently, then perhaps they should lose their license, regardless of whether they performed for pay or as a volunteer.

For example, lawyers are not held to a lesser standard when performing pro bono services; if their work is negligent, they can be sued just the same as if they had charged hundreds per hour. Should A&P-possessing AMTs be held to some lesser standard when performing unpaid volunteer aircraft repair? If so, why?

FWAAA said:
I'm confused. Yes, it would be a shame if a licensed professional lost their license, but shouldn't they lose their license if they are negligent?

IMO, if a licensed professional performs negligently, then perhaps they should lose their license, regardless of whether they performed for pay or as a volunteer.

For example, lawyers are not held to a lesser standard when performing pro bono services; if their work is negligent, they can be sued just the same as if they had charged hundreds per hour. Should A&P-possessing AMTs be held to some lesser standard when performing unpaid volunteer aircraft repair? If so, why?
[post="262901"][/post]​

The repairs don't bite you in the *ss, it's the paperwork. I'll stand by my work any day. This is why I question who will be the repair authority and who handles the paperwork. You also have no clue who you are working for. Is this going to be a hack job like most MRO's where people are walked out for finding things wrong, and writing them because their license requires them to. The point being, if I start ripping apart this 747 and find the massive amount of corrision that I know is there, will some hot shot come by and tear up my write ups after I leave, the work never gets done, I signed off on a corrosion inspection, and a couple years down the line something happens and I'm before the faa. Paranoid, could be, but I've seen it a couple times already.

Geez, you folks need to relax. There is an A & P mechanic who will oversee everything. This plane has all its AD's up-to-date and only needs 1200 hours on the C check. Just PM me if you are interested, I can pass your information on to GPI. But, it you are all gonna be jerks about it, GPI does not need prima donnas! So continue with your canned beanie weenie and pass on the incredible world travel that comes with being a volunteer. But do not put down an organization that some of you appear to know nothing about.

AMFAMAN said:
The repairs don't bite you in the *ss, it's the paperwork. I'll stand by my work any day. This is why I question who will be the repair authority and who handles the paperwork. You also have no clue who you are working for. Is this going to be a hack job like most MRO's where people are walked out for finding things wrong, and writing them because their license requires them to. The point being, if I start ripping apart this 747 and find the massive amount of corrision that I know is there, will some hot shot come by and tear up my write ups after I leave, the work never gets done, I signed off on a corrosion inspection, and a couple years down the line something happens and I'm before the faa. Paranoid, could be, but I've seen it a couple times already.
[post="262907"][/post]​

IFLY4FREE said:
Geez, you folks need to relax. There is an A & P mechanic who will oversee everything. This plane has all its AD's up-to-date and only needs 1200 hours on the C check. Just PM me if you are interested, I can pass your information on to GPI. But, it you are all gonna be jerks about it, GPI does not need prima donnas! So continue with your canned beanie weenie and pass on the incredible world travel that comes with being a volunteer. But do not put down an organization that some of you appear to know nothing about.
[post="262935"][/post]​

What's wrong with asking questions? :down: :down:

Back