Negotiations News

The E-175 is a good jet. It's significantly smaller than the MD-80 and 737 and just a bit bigger than the CRJ-700. The chances of the E-175 replacing MD-80 flying is pretty small.

If the pilots union really wants to get a deal done, they should sign off on the scope clause concession for the E-175 and Q400's in exchange for a 110-130 seat plane for mainline to replace the MD-80. Maybe something like the 737-700 or, if AA's management can be interested in the NG narrowbodies, the Bombadier C130 - which looks like a great plane on paper.

Maybe something along the lines of "for every E175 purchased, a (737-700 or C130) must also be purchased." It's just an idea. AA gets larger, more comfortable, more economical regional jets. The pilots union gets an MD-80 replacement which allays their fears of large chunks of the domestic network being "expressed" (to borrow a United term) and everyone gets a plane that burns much less gas than the MD-80. That should be a win, win, win.

I agree with you on the E-jets.
Embraer IMHO, hit a "Grand Slam Home Run", being the FIRST to come out with that "dead center/middle of the road/domestic jet !

Rarely does Bombardier get "one upped",(in their niche market)...... but they DID !!

What's your problem with AA putting out its own negotiations updates? The unions are blasting the company with billboards, advertisements, buttons, etc. but you expect them to be silent? Hypocrisy.

What's your problem with AA putting out its own negotiations updates? The unions are blasting the company with billboards, advertisements, buttons, etc. but you expect them to be silent? Hypocrisy.

Hey FFCA, whatcha smokin? Was it good and tasty?

Most unionists don't believe a company has the right to plead its case directly to the membership, and that the union is supposed to be their only source of reliable information.

Whether it's politicians, corporations, celebrities or special interest groups, the days of being able to control and spin a story via press releases are long gone.

Love it or hate it, the internet is forcing people to be a little more honest and transparent in what they say, and those who aren't risk finding their story cut to pieces within hours via blogs, tools like Twitter, and "water cooler" sites like this.

I don't expect them to be silent. I just think they don't tell the whole story. I also find it amusing with their assumption that they think the flight attendants are stupid. I mean, the APFA has a negotiating team made up of line flight attendants and hired lawyers. We elect and hire them to represent us. If the company feels that the team is not accepting their proposals they think that by giving the information directly to the line flight attendants that things will change. I guess they think we will read Negotiations News and call the union and tell them "Hey, these are great proposals! What are you negotiators thinking?".

Also, the APFA has not placed any billboards up.

AA is preparing to send a power point based mailing to TWU members' homes so the spouses can see just how generous AA is with their offer. That is the company's right to do that, but when the spouse gets home from work because he/she HAS to work and alot of that second salary is needed to pay for day care and other bills just to survive, I am sure they will be sympathetic to the company's generous offer. I'm sure we will get it in the mail before the executives get their PUPs.

"Scope: Outsource dayline cabin cleaning at all domestic locations. The company has committed that no employee would be furloughed as a result of this change. The associated headcount reduction will be achieved through normal attrition and a one-time voluntary separation program. To provide complete transparency, American will not furlough from the following stations until 863 Fleet Service Clerk employees have separated from the company (to include employees electing to take the voluntary separation program)"

So even after they get 863 jobs system wide they can still go head hunting in DFW, MIA,ORD,BOS,SFO,LAX and JFK?

But they did eliminate the outsourcing of fueling language in this proposal?

And ummm WTF?

"Vacation will be considered as time worked for overtime purposes."

And they TA'd that?

We're so screwed its not even funny.

Furlough protection is a LIE. There is no such thing. They can give any reason they want for furlough. Furlough protection worked real good for the pilots, didn't it?

"Vacation will be considered as time worked for overtime purposes."

And they TA'd that?

Depends on the context of the VC-OT agreement... it might actually be a positive for y'all.

Federal OT laws mandate OT based on hours worked, and not hours paid. More than 8h (with exceptions for regularly scheduled workdays e.g. 10-12 hour shifts) or more than 40h in 7d.

Assuming a Sunday-Thursday bid line, if you take S-M-T as VC days, but worked W-Q, a DOW worked on Fri would be paid at straight time, not OT, because you hadn't *worked* 40h yet.

My reading of the above provision is that AA would consider the VC days as worked for the purposes of triggering the 40h threshold.

Depends on the context of the VC-OT agreement... it might actually be a positive for y'all.

Federal OT laws mandate OT based on hours worked, and not hours paid. More than 8h (with exceptions for regularly scheduled workdays e.g. 10-12 hour shifts) or more than 40h in 7d.

Assuming a Sunday-Thursday bid line, if you take S-M-T as VC days, but worked W-Q, a DOW worked on Fri would be paid at straight time, not OT, because you hadn't *worked* 40h yet.

My reading of the above provision is that AA would consider the VC days as worked for the purposes of triggering the 40h threshold.
Unless fleet is different than M&E, OT doesn't require 40 worked before OT starts. OT starts after 8h if those 8 are straight time, and if it is DO it starts no matter how many hours you have for the week. At least for M&E.

to bad jim little and conley don't listen to there membership
did they just make up there own minds on what to do with this release from mediation

a couple of weeks ago when talk first started about being released from mediation our local president had no clue as to this was being talked about so who is really negotiating are current contract

looks like being screwed over by the international once again

Unless fleet is different than M&E, OT doesn't require 40 worked before OT starts. OT starts after 8h if those 8 are straight time, and if it is DO it starts no matter how many hours you have for the week. At least for M&E.
Fleet and I think Title V gave that up in 2003, they have to put in 40 for the week before they get OT, like Walmart and many other non-union workers.

paul1 said:
to bad jim little and conley don't listen to there membership
did they just make up there own minds on what to do with this release from mediation

a couple of weeks ago when talk first started about being released from mediation our local president had no clue as to this was being talked about so who is really negotiating are current contract

looks like being screwed over by the international once again

I'm glad they did it, however the majority of the M&R committee already showed us what they were willing to accept, 3%, 3%, three year term,that concerns me. At this point I'd rather see the International take over negotiations and put someone else in charge of the Negotiations such as Thom McDaniels, he did a good job for the SWA Flight Attendants, maybe he can do something over here.

Fleet and I think Title V gave that up in 2003, they have to put in 40 for the week before they get OT, like Walmart and many other non-union workers.

I'm glad they did it, however the majority of the M&R committee already showed us what they were willing to accept, 3%, 3%, three year term,that concerns me. At this point I'd rather see the International take over negotiations and put someone else in charge of the Negotiations such as Thom McDaniels, he did a good job for the SWA Flight Attendants, maybe he can do something over here.
The bottom line here is this was paid for by American - they know we can do "more" when on the property and unhappy.

Horton wants rid of most aircraft maintenance and if we go out, there's almost a guarantee a BK filing will ensue as that's also what the SOB wants to do. It will nicely tailor the company to the management's liking.

I haven't a problem with going out so much as I have a problem with doing what the friggin' management wants us to do.

Re: negotiation - I'd like to see the TWU hire professional negotiators - that would easily outclass the company's panel of idiots and get people on our side that actually know what they're doing.

Alas - that would probably stop the corporate payouts to Little Jimmy.

Back