New A & P License

Tim Thorpe

Aug 20, 2002
I read this today on the AIN Aviation International News web site and thought I would pass it along. I was not aware of this.
FAA: mechanics must update certificate or lose privileges

By: David A. Lombardo
November 1, 2009
Regulations

On March 31 last year the FAA added a section to FAR Part 65 regarding airframe and powerplant mechanics’ certificates, but most A&Ps are not aware of it. According to 14 CFR 65.15(d), “Except for temporary certificates issued under §65.13, the holder of a paper certificate issued under this part may not exercise the privileges of that certificate after March 31, 2013.

After that date, A&Ps who have one of the old paper A&P certificates rather than a new plastic certificate may not exercise A&P privileges. The move was prompted by Homeland Security in an attempt to exert greater control over certification identification.

The new certificate will be approximately the size of a credit card, have a photo of the holder and a holographic symbol designed to foil forgery. Affected technicians can go to the FAA’s Web site (https://amsrvs.

registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/logon.asp) and request a card. There is a $2 fee.

I read this today on the AIN Aviation International News web site and thought I would pass it along. I was not aware of this.

November 1, 2009
Regulations

On March 31 last year the FAA added a section to FAR Part 65 regarding airframe and powerplant mechanics’ certificates, but most A&Ps are not aware of it. According to 14 CFR 65.15(d), “Except for temporary certificates issued under §65.13, the holder of a paper certificate issued under this part may not exercise the privileges of that certificate after March 31, 2013.

After that date, A&Ps who have one of the old paper A&P certificates rather than a new plastic certificate may not exercise A&P privileges. The move was prompted by Homeland Security in an attempt to exert greater control over certification identification.

The new certificate will be approximately the size of a credit card, have a photo of the holder and a holographic symbol designed to foil forgery. Affected technicians can go to the FAA’s Web site (https://amsrvs.

Most of us have done this long ago.

The one thing I do not like about the new card type certificate is that the issue date listed on it is not your original issue date. It is the issue date of that card. You will need to hold on the old certificate to show when you were first granted privileges to exercise your rights under the Airframe and Powerplant Certificate.

November 1, 2009
Regulations

It figures TSA would find another way to inconvenience the very people who do more for aircraft safety than anyone on the field.

Latest posts

Back