New A320neo

ebwgs

Veteran
Contributor
Aug 23, 2004
http://www.airbus.com/en/myairbus/myairbus-single/detail/the-best-keeps-getting-better-new-engine-options-offered-for-the-a320-family/

It'll be interesting to see how the NEO option sells at $8 million list. Some analysts say the NEO will still have an operating cost disadvantage compared to Bombadier's C series (which hasn't sold that well yet), but the NEO will have the commonality with existing 320-family fleets advantage.

Looks like Boeing is leaning towards producing an all-new 737 replacement using 787 technology about 2020 and not re-engine the 737NG's.

Jim

It'll be interesting to see how the NEO option sells at $8 million list. Some analysts say the NEO will still have an operating cost disadvantage compared to Bombadier's C series (which hasn't sold that well yet), but the NEO will have the commonality with existing 320-family fleets advantage.

Looks like Boeing is leaning towards producing an all-new 737 replacement using 787 technology about 2020 and not re-engine the 737NG's.

Jim

An interesting gamble on both sides. Notice that Airbus starts flight tests in 2015 and in service around 2016. Three years later Boeing comes in with an all new aircraft. The all new aircraft sounds like the better economic bet going forward except when you factor in the normal delays. If they are saying 2020 that factors to somewhere around 2023 looking at track records of both companies over optimistic delivery schedules. By then Airbus may have made some inroads to selling to traditional Boeing customers that could not wait until 2023 for a fleet upgrade. If you go with Airbus though, you end up with older technology with a little fuel savings.

Of course you can not leave out Bombadier, Embraer, and even the Chinese, Japanese and the Russians which are all developing new aircraft. People might say the last three would never happen in the US market but they will eventually come. Carriers are looking for the best price like anybody else. Even Airbus is assembling whole aircraft in China right now and Boeing is getting parts from them.

Ironically, a couple of articles on this subject - well, considering Airbus' announcement on Wednesday not so ironic.

Seattle Times

Aviation Week

Jim

****************************************************************************************************
Boeiing I predict will remain loyal to the CFM56-7, and the LEAP-X engine will be just a new and improved version of the CFM56. Airbus has the older -5 design and are looking to move up and past Boeing. But if they're not going to do some Wing upgrades like Boeing did going from the 737 Classic Wing to the newer wing of the Next Generation airplanes then there's really not an option, Because the A321 is a REAL "Turkey" with just enough wing to get it OFF the ground. Airbus's propensity to do "just enough",is frankly? Not ENOUGH!! They Have no Airplane that will equal the 737-800 or 900 and 900ER To re-engine the A320 with the G-1000 Series would really only make it more attractive to United because of their preference for all things Pratt and Whtiney. And that United has YET to select a replacement for the 737-300's and 500's they've already parked. Not withstanding that Continental has a "boat load" of NG 737's in service.
Were Airbus to Re-Engne with the P&W G-1000 series I believe we might see a new order But were we to see a New 737 with the P&W G-1000 series?? I would REALLY bet on a new order IMHO. Frankly I'm GLAD Pratt got back in the running I Only hope they decide to get back in the running with a Large Turbofan upgrade of the P&W4000 Series Because I SORELY mistrust where Rolls Royce is going with the "Trent" Engine Series. That thing is REALLY turning out to be a "Turkey" with that "suspect" 3 spool setup "warmed over" from the -524 and the -535.. A LOT of stuff going on for Not Much performance compared to the 2 spool designs of PWA and GE.

I may have missed it, but haven't seen anything about Embraer having plans for a plane bigger than the E195 which is 118 seat in an all coach config. with 31" pitch. Like Bombardier couldn't stretch the CRJ any more, I doubt Embraer could stretch the E195 so anything in the 100-150 seat class to compete with the Bombardier C-series would have to be a new design.

Basically Embraer and Bombardier have been playing leapfrog. Both had 50 seat RJ's, then Bombardier stretched the CRJ200 to make the -700/-900 so Embraer designed the E-Jet for the 70-120 seat market, then Bombardier designed the C-Series for the 100-150 seat market, and now it's Embraer's turn again if Bombardier can sell the C-Series. I think Republic is the only U.S. carrier to order the C-Series so far.

Jim

Back