New (domestic) checked bag policy

FrugalFlyerv2.0

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
Customers purchasing nonrefundable domestic economy tickets who do not have status in Mileage Plus or Star Alliance may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $25 service fee. Customers who have attained Premier status or higher in Mileage Plus or who have Silver status and above with a Star Alliance partner, are exempt from this policy change. The new policy applies to tickets purchased on or after February 4, 2008 for travel on or after May 5, 2008. UA www site link

Wonderful.

Passengers will get smart, and purchase a ...HAITI...bag, that in some cases are dam*ed near 3x4 ft. in size.

As long as these GORRILLA bags Don;t exceed 70 lbs., "they GO"

This will make the boys in the bag room happy, and the poor SOB in the "belly" "jumping with joy" :down:

Wonderful.

Passengers will get smart, and purchase a ...HAITI...bag, that in some cases are dam*ed near 3x4 ft. in size.

As long as these GORRILLA bags Don;t exceed 70 lbs., "they GO"

This will make the boys in the bag room happy, and the poor SOB in the "belly" "jumping with joy" :down:

I'm curious to see how the charges are applied for US* flights operated by UA. Since the ticket would be 037 and go by US rules, do the US bag charges apply? They stated UA flights NOT operated by UA (UA*) dont apply so is the same true in reverse? I looked at the website questions and didnt see the answer to this scenario. This would apply to tkts purchased on 037 stock and as a US* flight. Also what happens if we reroute to UA as a US* flight?

I'm curious to see how the charges are applied for US* flights operated by UA. Since the ticket would be 037 and go by US rules, do the US bag charges apply? They stated UA flights NOT operated by UA (UA*) dont apply so is the same true in reverse? I looked at the website questions and didnt see the answer to this scenario. This would apply to tkts purchased on 037 stock and as a US* flight. Also what happens if we reroute to UA as a US* flight?

No worries, all the airlines will use this new revenue money machine, so it won't matter about connections.

Seems like charges like this will only hurt the leisure traveler, really. And isn't that most of the airlines' business these days?

Seems like charges like this will only hurt the leisure traveler, really. And isn't that most of the airlines' business these days?

Surely you jest! Last time I checked they were holding the cheap tickets and expecting caviar after takeoff. It's about time everyone pays for the extra cost incurred and the airlines started making a profit. It would appear as if UAL is one of the few that has the stones to do it. Just curious, have you purchased a passport lately? The government doesn't mind increasing their rates now do they?

If you book at usairways.com for a UA flight that is codeshared, you WILL NOT be charged for the additional baggage. You are bound by US carriage contract. It is not clearly stated on the web-page, but all you had to do was call customer service at UA and they will tell you to book at US to avoid the charge! Wonder how long that will last?

Latest posts