New Pilot to be :P

Timmeh

Aug 7, 2006
I've been fascinated by aviation ever since I was 3 with a remote control plane in the airport (which spun out of control due to radio frequencies). I'm looking towards a career in Commercial Aviation and im looking at the ATP Flight School. They say you need 2 years in college for Private License (which is required to take there airline program). I'm only 16, so i'm far off from being able to go there yet.

But it says you need experience to be able to fly a PC-Based Sim. Do they mean something like Microsoft Flight Sim, or a real professional simulator? And if it is like MFS, does anyone know what they'll be looking for?

Also for 2 years in college, does anyone know does it have to be mastered in studying physics, aerodynamics or anything like that?

I've been fascinated by aviation ever since I was 3 with a remote control plane in the airport (which spun out of control due to radio frequencies). I'm looking towards a career in Commercial Aviation and im looking at the ATP Flight School. They say you need 2 years in college for Private License (which is required to take there airline program). I'm only 16, so i'm far off from being able to go there yet.

But it says you need experience to be able to fly a PC-Based Sim. Do they mean something like Microsoft Flight Sim, or a real professional simulator? And if it is like MFS, does anyone know what they'll be looking for?

Also for 2 years in college, does anyone know does it have to be mastered in studying physics, aerodynamics or anything like that?

Not sure about what they mean by be able to fly PC based sim but knowing microsoft FS is very good training. The realism of the instruments and the workings of navigation radios and just about everything is pretty real. The only thing you won't get is the actual feel of the airlplane.

As far as what to study in college look at it two ways. Most airlines really don't care what you major in, only that you can get a degree. They want to make sure you have time management skills and are goal oriented. Having a major in another area may actually be better for you and make you more marketable to coporate aviation companies. On the other hand when you major in aviation you get to really know the industry and possibly develop a better sense of the whole thing while making some contacts along the way. Check out www.anyonespilotguide.com. Its a great source for information and well worth the price.

Not sure about what they mean by be able to fly PC based sim but knowing microsoft FS is very good training. The realism of the instruments and the workings of navigation radios and just about everything is pretty real. The only thing you won't get is the actual feel of the airlplane.

As far as what to study in college look at it two ways. Most airlines really don't care what you major in, only that you can get a degree. They want to make sure you have time management skills and are goal oriented. Having a major in another area may actually be better for you and make you more marketable to coporate aviation companies. On the other hand when you major in aviation you get to really know the industry and possibly develop a better sense of the whole thing while making some contacts along the way. Check out www.anyonespilotguide.com. Its a great source for information and well worth the price.

Hi, I have a BA in Political Science, are you saying it isnt necessary to get a degree in aeronautics to become a pilot? all I have to do is get a pilot license?

Hi, I have a BA in Political Science, are you saying it isnt necessary to get a degree in aeronautics to become a pilot? all I have to do is get a pilot license?

It does not matter what your major is in college RonNY. What the degree tells the company you wish to work for is that you followed through on your commitments. The actual major makes little difference.

You need more than a pilot's license. Most 121 scheduled air carriers require at least a Commercial pilot's certificate with multi-engine and instrument ratings. This is far more work than just obtaining a private pilot's license.

Then, unless you have a large bank roll, you will instruct, tow banners, fly freight, etc...to gather hours and experience.

Hope that helps...it is possible.

It does not matter what your major is in college RonNY. What the degree tells the company you wish to work for is that you followed through on your commitments. The actual major makes little difference.

You need more than a pilot's license. Most 121 scheduled air carriers require at least a Commercial pilot's certificate with multi-engine and instrument ratings. This is far more work than just obtaining a private pilot's license.

Then, unless you have a large bank roll, you will instruct, tow banners, fly freight, etc...to gather hours and experience.

Hope that helps...it is possible.

Ok. Is there a free step-by-step guide available on the net?

I'm curious to know many years will it take to become a pilot, how much money is needed, and the difficulty of these examinations (Not really great at standardized tests).

Ok. Is there a free step-by-step guide available on the net?

I'm curious to know many years will it take to become a pilot, how much money is needed, and the difficulty of these examinations (Not really great at standardized tests).

To get your ATP, should be about $30,000. As for time, it could take years or it could take 3 months. I'm getting my private right now and hve 34/40 hours and I achieved that in 2 weeks, so time is not deffinite. The tests are not hard at all. They give you a book with all of the answers and all of the questions on the test. If you are completely stupid then if you study it is very easy to pass. It is better to get a 90% or above, it just looks better and it is better for your checkride if they see you got a 95% vs a 71% barely passing.

You have 40 hours in two weeks? And to get an ATP I believe takes a little longer than 3 months. I doubt many people have 18 hours a day to devote to flying....

Anyways, you will learn the aircraft better if you take your time to learn it, cramming it down your throat will not have any benefit to you in the future.

No, i got 30 hours in 2 weeks. I got the rest of the 10 the next week. I tried to fly 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours after lunch, but since we were in a Cessna 152, we got hot and tired and it only ended up bein 1.5 hours morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon.

And the only reason i did that is because my instructor was leaving and I wanted to stay with one instructer. I would higly recomend flying often but not as often as I did. I got my private in 42 hours but that is very unusual. From my experiences, I would say fly 2-3 times a week, with the sessions being 1-2 hours. That gives you time to chill in between learning but also doesnt leave the sessions weeks appart. But if you want to cram it down your throat, it doesnt hurt, and it is a great time occupier durring the summer when you get bored (if your still in school).

And about my ATP comment -- I know that you cannot ever possibly get your ATP in 3 months, it was an exageration and sorry :unsure: If you really wanted to get your ATP quickly, I guess 1.25 - 1.5 years would do it, but then after that to fly airliners you need type ratings.

Back