NEW SERVICE Boston - Punta Cana Press Release

US AIRWAYS TO BEGIN BOSTON-PUNTA CANA SERVICE

TEMPE, Ariz., Dec. 16, 2005 -- US Airways announced today that it will begin nonstop service Boston's Logan International Airport and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, effective January 7, 2006.

US Airways will operate nonstop roundtrip flights on this route each Saturday, using 120-seat Airbus A319 aircraft. Flights will depart Boston at 10:30 a.m., and will arrive in Punta Cana at 3:37 p.m. Return flights will depart Punta Cana at 4:25 p.m., and will arrive in Boston at 7:35 p.m. Fares start as low as $199 each way based on required roundtrip purchase.

Punta Cana will be US Airways' seventh tropical destination from Boston, where it offers service to more Caribbean destinations than any other airline. From Boston, US Airways also serves Aruba, Bermuda, Cancun, Montego Bay, Nassau, and San Juan.

US Airways currently operates daily service to Punta Cana from Charlotte, N.C., with an additional frequency on Saturday and Sunday. Charlotte-Punta Cana service will increase to twice-daily in January 2006. US Airways also operates daily service to Punta Cana from Philadelphia, with an additional frequency on Saturday. In the Dominican Republic, US Airways also serves Santo Domingo with twice-daily service to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood, and Saturday service to Philadelphia.

"US Airways is very pleased to offer our Boston customers this new international route to Punta Cana. The new US Airways will continue to add flights to the places where people want to travel, offering a full range of both business and leisure destinations," said Scott Kirby, executive vice president, sales and marketing. "We remain committed to the Boston market, where we offer more daily mainline jet departures than any other carrier."

US Airways and America West's recent merger creates the fifth largest domestic airline employing 35,000 aviation professionals. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 4,000 flights per day and serve more than 225 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America.

US Airways is a member of the Star Alliance, which was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance to offer customers global reach and a smooth travel experience. Star Alliance has been voted Best Airline Alliance by Skytrax in 2003 and 2005. The other members are Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spanair, TAP Portugal, THAI, United, and VARIG Brazilian Airlines. South African Airways and SWISS will be integrated during the first half of 2006. Overall, the member carriers offer more than 15,000 daily flights to 790 destinations in 138 countries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SORRY GUYS, THIS IS FAKE, NOT A REAL PRESS RELEASE, I made this in about 20 minutes. They still refuse to promote any of the East flying with a lousy press release. Everything in it is true, though, (well, except the Kirby quote I made up), it would make a perfectly good press release, and there should be one in existence just like it, but there isn't. If it took me, an amateur, 20 minutes to make this, and I really think it's pretty damn good, that shows they could crank out a bunch of them, for all the new routes, in an hour or two. Maybe this'll embarrass them. That's the only way anything gets done. Then again, the thread (link) where I started the complaining about no press releases was over 6 weeks ago, that should have embarrassed them, but it didn't. The merger was two-and-a-half months ago, and they haven't issued a single press release for East routes since the merger. The closest they got was this one (link) on cheap Shuttle fares that they issued after the close of business on a Friday over here in the East Coast; that's the only mention they've made of having an East half. But it's getting too late anyway. If they issue the BOS-PUJ release on Monday, which they won't--the service starts in like 2 1/2 weeks, hardly enough time to promote it. They started CLT-GUA back in November, was never a press release on it. I guess they just plan on people to magically stumble upon it then book their flights. They started 4 prop markets out of PIT (SCE/ITH/BGM/ELM), well not much to be sure, but US gets so much bad publicity in PIT, it might be nice to issue a press release talking about adding service for a change, and it would be great to let the small towns know, then they might buy tickets if they know they don't have to conx in PHL. They ramped up service for the holidays, added multiple daily RJs on PHL-EWN/OAJ/FAY, markets that usually don't see nonstop service at all. Increasing service for the holidays is very good, just the sort of thing the old management might not have bothered to do. But what good is added service if you don't tell anybody about it? You're just setting it up to fail. There's all this talk about this great advertising budget, how the new US will advertise when the old US never did, the Fly With US campaign. Well, it costs absolutely nothing to put out a press release, yet they get picked up by lots of papers and local news shows. And I know they know how to issue a press release--they just issued one today for theit Hawaii service. When it's important for them, they'll do it. To be fair, they've been doing a pretty crappy job promoting the West service as well, so it's possible they just suck and aren't playing favorites. I really don't know the West's schedule; they might have new routes too that aren't getting announced. But I've seen them issue plenty of press releases before the merger, and since the merger, the score remains West 1, East 0. They just refuse to do it for this US/East service, and I just don't understand why. At first, I thought there was maybe a communications problem, that the schedule people in the East weren't telling the press people in the West about it. Or maybe that the press people in the West still thought there were press people in the East supposed to be doing this stuff. But it's been far too long for that, and I know management reads these boards, and has seen the other thread and the complaints, and yet it has done absolutely, deliberately nothing.

God, I can't believe I just ranted and typed that much.

They suck.

:up: Loved it! Only shows how much the average worker cares about the success of the carrier whereas the distracted/disoriented/dazed/confused/incompetent/egocentric folks called Management are too busy doing whatever in the hell they do to FILL a business day. It still looks like Idiots may still be running the asylum, and boy would I love for Them to prove me wrong.Nice release though!

US AIRWAYS TO BEGIN BOSTON-PUNTA CANA SERVICE

TEMPE, Ariz., Dec. 16, 2005 -- US Airways announced today that it will begin nonstop service Boston's Logan International Airport and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, effective January 7, 2006.

A note of caution to all crewmembers flying the new BOS-PUJ service.

Pilots will need to monitor the autoflight system very carefully while flying this route.

As you know, all US Airways aircraft are pre-programmed to land in PHL, as soon as the autoflight system detects that the flight has departed BOS, and is heading south.

Manual override of the autoflight system, including disconnect of the autopilot, may be necessary to make the aircraft continue on a flight path south of PHL.

Also, flight attendants should be ready to help confused passengers upon arrival at PUJ. You can expect such questions as, "What gate is the connecting flight to Punta Cana departing from"? And, "Will my bags make it to the connecting flight?" And, "Do they sell cheese steaks in the food court here?"

The proper response is, "Sir (Madam), you're already in Punta Cana. I know we departed Boston and have only landed once, but I assure you that we are not in Philadelphia."

Just a question? Have you forwarded your concerns to corporate communications? Heck - take it right to the top - Send an email to Doug Parker.

Goes to show how easy it is to make positive changes at the company and notify the traveling public of your services. I didnt know US served Punta Cana either :)

Just a question? Have you forwarded your concerns to corporate communications? Heck - take it right to the top - Send an email to Doug Parker.

I've had about 4 people suggest that to me, and I think I will be e-mailing some people over there on Monday. I will say that the thought of contacting them frankly hadn't entered my mind. And I think that's because I expect the previous management would've ignored any such suggestions (though they did issue their press releases). The people here suggesting I contact them now do seem to honestly feel that my suggestions will be heard, which is certainly a very positive thing.

It's really a bit surreal though, that I should suggest to them how to run their airline. And that I'd have a number of employees here recognize that they're not doing things like this, and to suggest to me to contact them. You'd really hope they have professionals over there whose job it is to do things like this.

Can anyone imagine something like this going on at any other airline? It would be unheard of!

But we love this airline just the same, despite all its...quirks. :lol:

Can anyone imagine something like this going on at any other airline? It would be unheard of!

The disconnect between 'East' and 'West' will continue until some one in Tempe gives the people there a map.

OK now Punta Cana is not Spanish for kick the can. It is a resort in the Dominican Republic. Please tell some one the old, and the new, US Airways flies there.

Very true about US not putting out PR's for new East Coast service. CLT-GUA started more than a month ago, they never had PR. And daily Fort Lauderdale-Montego Bay flights start in two weeks: no PR.

I can't say for certain that people are asleep at the wheel in Tempe (although I have seen it w/ my own 2 eyes in some departments :blink: ). However, I know most people here are generally used to the way things used to be done by old East Management.

A little background: generally when HP would start up new service it came in waves. So you'd get press releases for a group of routings, say the infamous Transcons, or service to LAS for 5 new markets! From what I understand, they feel the press is more likely to pick up on multiple new destinations, and therefore more bang for the proverbial buck. It could be that all of this recent new service hasn't been released because the lead time would have been prior to the merger's completion, also. It would seem to me, though, that an email with that question to [email protected] just might do the trick, ringmaruf.

Is it too much work for Corporate Communications to put out a press release when only one new routing is added?

They could just find an old US Airways press release and cut and paste a new city code in.

Is it too much work for Corporate Communications to put out a press release when only one new routing is added?

They could just find an old US Airways press release and cut and paste a new city code in.
Maybe their not sure what their gonna keep? Advertizing a market and the dropping it soon after can cause waves.. The East markets added post merger were most likely choosen before the merger happend and it could be that current managment does not have the same faith in destinations choosen by former East counterparts.. Just my thoughs..

Hows the Punta Cana route goin?

Latest posts

Back