singh4us

Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
New US Airways making sure disparate cultures will fly as 1

Judy Nichols
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 2, 2005 12:00 AM

It may be fitting that executives chose a wedding theme, complete with bride and groom, to celebrate the merger of America West Airlines and US Airways.

Fitting because so many mergers end in divorce.

Like marriages, the ultimate success of a merger depends on how well two personalities, or cultures, combine.

"The odds are stacked against them," said Jonathan Tanz, head of research for Best Practices LLC, in Chapel Hill, N.C., a merger consulting firm.

"The vast majority of mergers and acquisitions fail, and they fail because of cultural integration."

In this marriage, US Airways is seen as the mature, jaded partner, and America West as the enthusiastic youngster.

The disparate personalities prompted US Airways CEO Doug Parker to appoint Larry LeSueur, a longtime America West employee, as vice president of culture.

"Cultural integration is one of the more challenging things we have to do," LeSueur said. "US Airways is an East Coast company, built over time as a much more serious company with uniform standards for employees. We're much more laid-back."

It will be LeSueur's job to make those workforces click.

Click here for Articlehttp://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/1002amwest-culture.html#

Someone who works in the PHL club told me today that she went through US/West training and customer service is a very high priority. That is going to be a challenge in PHL with the new awful ticket agents working the desk. Where did they get these people?

They look like they are on a work release program or prison to jobs program. Don't get mad but it's the damn truth. I see how they treat some customers as I sit in the gate area between flights or waiting for my flight home and just observe. Talk about being embarrased. They have no communication skills, are rude, look sloppy and are paid so low that they don't get paid to give a @#$%. A new hire the other day at gate C-29 was helping count tickets and said out loud for everyone boarding to hear, "I definately know I AIN"T stayin' here.".... I just gave her the look saying, "You my dear would be doing ALL of us a favor". So anyway, let me tell you how I really feel. LOL.... :D

Travelpro72 said:
They look like they are on a work release program or prison to jobs program. Don't get mad but it's the damn truth. I see how they treat some customers as I sit in the gate area between flights or waiting for my flight home and just observe. Talk about being embarrased. They have no communication skills, are rude, look sloppy and are paid so low that they don't get paid to give a @#$%. A new hire the other day at gate C-29 was helping count tickets and said out loud for everyone boarding to hear, "I definately know I AIN"T stayin' here.".... I just gave her the look saying, "You my dear would be doing ALL of us a favor". So anyway, let me tell you how I really feel. LOL.... :D
[post="308302"][/post]​
I went to PHL 2 weeks ago for training and the customer service was====dreadful!!! Very rude...we do not know what to expect...after all PHL is a hub no?

"...after all PHL is a hub no?"

Philly is Philly. The sewer of the northeast.
It's an attitude that they're proud of...

There's Philly then there's everywhere else.

If it's his job to make sure the two cultures work why is CLT being treated like the red headed step child? Whose job is that? The more things change the more they stay the same.

Disclaimer: Only the parties names are changed. All else remains the same so far.

Hey Doug.......tic toc....tic toc.....time is a slippin'.

You're right.
CLT is the crown jewel of the airline and all we hear about is how there is a culture difference between USeast and USwest. There isn't a culture difference except for PHL, they're different from everybody.

Travelpro72 said:
A new hire the other day at gate C-29 was helping count tickets and said out loud for everyone boarding to hear, "I definately know I AIN"T stayin' here.".... I just gave her the look saying, "You my dear would be doing ALL of us a favor". So anyway, let me tell you how I really feel. LOL.... :D
[post="308302"][/post]​

Great comeback line--it's just too bad you didn't express it an even LOUDER voice. Betcha it woud've garnered at least a smattering of applause.
Nothing as good as a public shaming--although it would have probably gone right over the thick head of the cretin in question...

a320av8r said:
"...after all PHL is a hub no?"

Philly is Philly. The sewer of the northeast.
It's an attitude that they're proud of...

There's Philly then there's everywhere else.
[post="308355"][/post]​

Really? You seem to be the only one I've ever come across with that "attitude". Why not provide us with a few examples of why you think Philly is a sewer. Point to specific areas which you think support your derogatory evaluation. Is it the Parkway? Market Street? Chestnut Street? Walnut Street? South Street? Penn's Landing? the Avenue of the Arts? the Museum Area? University City? the Sports Complex? Independence Mall? Come on now give us specifics and comparisons to other Northeast cities of comparable size to support your ridiculous statement/s. By the way, I live in NEW YORK CITY, have visited Philadelphia many times and my opinion is that it is one of the most beautiful cities in America. Now the airport, is another matter. It needs a lot of work to come up to the level of traffic it supports - but then how many other major U.S. airports don't?

Based on your statements, I'd venture to guess the farthest you ever got into Philadelphia was a van ride to an airport motel - if that.

Forget the culture change crap----it will NEVER happen---I just hope all in management of day to day running the old airline---US Airways--- are shown the door ---and quickly wont be soon enough for me.

Until the "post meltdown" hiring bananza in Philly, 2/3 of the ramp were transfers in from other cities.
They are the same agents that worked along side you in CLT, BWI, DAY, SFO, LAX, ect....
Were they bad apples then?
What made them that way?
Not being given the tools to do your job can wear on even the best.
Do you know what it's like to have to sit out in your tug all day just so that it's there when your flight comes in? (step inside to go to the bathroom...and it's gone.)
Or to have to drive 5+ miles in a tug (freight to commuters) looking for a cart?

Granted.....the new hires don't want to work....but that is where management comes in as well.

a320av8r said:
PHL, they're different from everybody.
[post="308374"][/post]​

US PHL only--at least from a customer perspective, I don't see the problems I see with US at UA or MX or AA or DL.

US1YFARE,

A question because I really don't know the answer.....

Those other airlines - are the carpets as stained in their areas, the seats in such poor condition, etc? The answer to that question might give an indication of who's feet to lay the blame.

If their public facilities are cleaner, brighter, in better shape - maybe their management also cares enough to provide the tools and personnel needed for their operation to function more smoothly.

On the other hand, if their public facilities are the same as ours, the blame could lie elsewhere.

Jim

US Airways to buy government's America West stake
US Airways said it will buy the federal government's stake in America West Airlines. The carrier will pay $115.8 million for the stock warrants, which were part of America West's loan package from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board formed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. US Airways and America West recently merged
so really,who's buying who?

Back