NO Deal for APFA

.....But, it's hard to see how it could be any worse than the current lying, unprincipled, totally lacking in ethical thought "management" that we have now. I was lied to by a member of management just the other day. He knew he was lying. I knew he was lying. And, he knew that I knew. But, he didn't care. He had no intention of telling me the truth, because that would require admitting that the "cornerstone" strategy has been a failure in the almost 3 years it has been in place....

I could swear that you are talking about AWA management at US Airways.

To everyone that has made it up in their fantasy that US Airways is the solution to their problems, I say that you're delusional. I think that this whole "let's get behind US Airways" thing is just a way of getting even with AA's management in the hopes of getting them ousted.

The signs are all there that the current US Airways management team is just as evil as AA's. You just have to do some research about them.

I could swear that you are talking about AWA management at US Airways.

To everyone that has made it up in their fantasy that US Airways is the solution to their problems, I say that you're delusional. I think that this whole "let's get behind US Airways" thing is just a way of getting even with AA's management in the hopes of getting them ousted.

The signs are all there that the current US Airways management team is just as evil as AA's. You just have to do some research about them.

I think it's a mistake for the unions to pin all their hope on USairways management, I would be willing to bet that the employees over there aren't all that satisfied with management after waiting all this time to get contracts and they are making money at USairways.

For USairways to promise not to layoff as much as AA is a pipe dream, they have no idea what the inner workings are at AA, I doubt the unions are telling USair management how much waste there is because of our contracts.

... I think that this whole "let's get behind US Airways" thing is just a way of getting even with AA's management in the hopes of getting them ousted.

I applaud AA's employees for sticking together and try to oust their management.

The politics at US Airways aka. America West are such that the employees literally have been stripped of power, despite unions and all. They, from the get-go (back in the 80s) have been conditioned to take it all and fear termination if they don't. America West's way of dealing with employees is to actively get employees to some sort of elevated disciplinary status, so that they fear for their jobs on a constant basis. It's a constant pursuit and one that quickly wears the employee out. This is why there is such a big turn over at everything AWA.

With almost half the workforce under direct intimidation, it is hard to ever get to a point where there would ever be good working conditions and contracts, much less a movement to oust executives. This is how it is at US Airways. Not even with US Airways east being the way they are, is it possible to try to get to the executives.

Even with the bold labor action orchestrated by the east pilots recently, you see that management wound up getting the upper hand.

Based on what I hear from current employees of AA from the stuff that they get away with in interactions with management, I can tell you as I tell them, that there is no way they'd ever be able to get away with those, would they be under the control of US Airways.

So....

Count your blessings.

Some times it is better to keep the current enemy than to get a new one.

All this talk about binding arbitration..... Binding isn't always binding.

Case and point: the Nicolau Award.

The Nic award is different from contactual issue arbitration. Under ALPA's umbrella, arbitration is the final step if necessary in resolving seniority integration disputes and is one pilot group against another. While the arbitrator may come from the list of NMB arbitrators, the process isn't overseen by the NMB at all and is more of a private arbitration. [Of course, the new federal law which wasn't in effect in 2005 will supercede all that if triggered]

Contract issue arbitration is different in that the parties are the employees (represented by their union) and the company. Both sides have agreed to using arbitration as a final and binding step to resolving contract disputes in the contract itself, before those disputes arose. The NMB does have a role.

The Nic award's status as final and binding remains in question. The only court to rule on the merits of the case said that the Nic was final and binding on USAPA. That decision was appealed by USAPA and the 9th Circuit Appeals Court by a 2-1 majority kicked the can down the road without making a decision on the merits - they merely ruled that the so-called Addington suit was filed too early thus the case wasn't ripe for judicial hearings. An answer may come from the Declaratory Judgement case filed by US, asking the court for a determination of US' responsibilities in accepting either the Nic or USAPA's preferred integrated seniority list.

Now that McCaskill/Bond is the law of the land, any arbitration seniority result under that law will carry the weight of the federal government and will indeed be final and binding

Jim

I think it's a mistake for the unions to pin all their hope on USairways management, I would be willing to bet that the employees over there aren't all that satisfied with management after waiting all this time to get contracts and they are making money at USairways.

For USairways to promise not to layoff as much as AA is a pipe dream, they have no idea what the inner workings are at AA, I doubt the unions are telling USair management how much waste there is because of our contracts.

It is really the unions that are pinning their hopes on a merger. We as employees really do not have much say. If you are a TWU member then we have NO say.

Look at the price of fuel, you need those airplanes. And your MD80s aren't getting any younger.
Delta has 120 M88s and 150+ 757s and is expected to make over 1B this year.

Oh and 17 DC9s. (and the 739s just ordered will be replacing A320s, while M88s will still be trucking along.)

forgot to add, AA has some of the last 80s off the line. They may have 83s from TWA that are younger than some 737s.

...[T]he wish to abrogate 60 years of collective bargaining does not constitute bargaining in good faith. I would guess that if the current concessionary agreements are abrogated the end of AA will quickly follow. No one will come to work.
They may want new blood. There will be plenty of people lined up for jobs should they hire in the future.

[sub]anyone read that pathetic Swelbar article. He is a paid AMR consultant and is paid by AFA. So a company man, and a rival union man personally attacks Laura Glading at APFA.things that make you go hmm. Swelbar paid by a union to attack another union.[/sub]

They may want new blood. There will be plenty of people lined up for jobs should they hire in the future.

You get the quality you pay for....but then flying is now just transportation...(I'm former Pan Am and TWA, old school)

Back