No Mainline Flghts From Gso

I think that is where you are mistaken. If, while we are operating seperatly, the US side is laying off, nothing is happening on the AWA side. They are staying status quo. So lets take a station like ATL. Lets say that US runs 12 mainline and 8 express and AWA runs 7 mainline flights. Between now and "full integration" US reduces it's flying to 20 express flights and every US person in the station is Mainline Expressed. Now come merger day, what happens? They go from Mainline Express to Mainline again. Do you think US will not express the city? Maybe, maybe not.....but there will be associated layoffs on the US side. Come full integration day, no one will be recalled because you will not allow people on furlough to bump AWA people. Wa-la. Instant cost reduction. You've reduced the head count on the US side either via attrition, mainline express, or furlough.

Not saying it will happen like this, but when you take 60 airplanes out of one side of the equation, something is going to give way.

MarkMyWords said:
I think that is where you are mistaken. If, while we are operating seperatly, the US side is laying off, nothing is happening on the AWA side. They are staying status quo. So lets take a station like ATL. Lets say that US runs 12 mainline and 8 express and AWA runs 7 mainline flights. Between now and "full integration" US reduces it's flying to 20 express flights and every US person in the station is Mainline Expressed. Now come merger day, what happens? They go from Mainline Express to Mainline again. Do you think US will not express the city? Maybe, maybe not.....but there will be associated layoffs on the US side. Come full integration day, no one will be recalled because you will not allow people on furlough to bump AWA people. Wa-la. Instant cost reduction. You've reduced the head count on the US side either via attrition, mainline express, or furlough.

Not saying it will happen like this, but when you take 60 airplanes out of one side of the equation, something is going to give way.
[post="301920"][/post]​

How will this play out in a city like GSO were there is no AWA? If they express it and then add 2 AWA phx flights before "full integration". Will AWA hire off the street.

How about if they express it for 1 year and then bring back CRJ-190's flown by mainline .... will they recall CWA employees?

Contractually, can't the company run 2-4 mainline flights a day to a Mainline Express station? So, if they go all RJ in Dec and decide to add AWA flying, US can work the flights with no status change. After full integration, it is still status quo, because you have the ability to run mainline flights in/out of a mainline express station.

MarkMyWords said:
Contractually, can't the company run 2-4 mainline flights a day to a Mainline Express station?  So, if they go all RJ in Dec and decide to add AWA flying, US can work the flights with no status change.  After full integration, it is still status quo, because you have the ability to run mainline flights in/out of a mainline express station.
[post="302075"][/post]​

Contract says they can run no more than 2 mainline flights into a mainline/express station if it was mainline at contract signing time. They can run up to 4 mainline flights into a BRAND NEW city before they have to put CWA mainline employees in.

gso-crew said:
How about if they express it for 1 year and then bring back CRJ-190's flown by mainline .... will they recall CWA employees?
[post="302072"][/post]​

The US Airways and America West collective bargaining agreements will be
modified to allow for a combined maximum of ninety-three (93) CRJ-900, or
other aircraft within the seating and maximum take-off weight limits specified in
Paragraph B above, to be operated in revenue service at any given time at Express Carriers
except that for every two (2) aircraft in excess of the combined 360 aircraft (excluding EMB 190 aircraft) operated at both US Airways and America
West, that are added to revenue service in the mainline fleet, the Company may
allow three (3) additional CRJ-900, or other aircraft within the seating and
maximum take-off weight limits specified in Paragraph B above, to be operated in
revenue service at Express carriers.

http://www.donlinrecano.net/dr201/mwc/04-1...003193-0005.pdf

AL-PS-PI-AW said:
Folks..we are in the midst of a major merge...I can easily see PHX and or LAS mainline service for MSP,DTW and BUF.
[post="301859"][/post]​

WN flies nonstop to both out of BUF and Im hoping for at least one on US. WN fills them daily.

MarkMyWords said:
I think that is where you are mistaken.  If, while we are operating seperatly, the US side is laying off, nothing is happening on the AWA side.  They are staying status quo.  So lets take a station like ATL.  Lets say that US runs 12 mainline and 8 express and AWA runs 7 mainline flights.  Between now and "full integration" US reduces it's flying to 20 express flights and every US person in the station is Mainline Expressed.  Now come merger day, what happens?  They go from Mainline Express to Mainline again.  Do you think US will not express the city?  Maybe, maybe not.....but there will be associated layoffs on the US side.  Come full integration day, no one will be recalled because you will not allow people on furlough to bump AWA people.  Wa-la.  Instant cost reduction.  You've reduced the head count on the US side either via attrition, mainline express, or furlough. 

[post="301920"][/post]​

MarkMyWords .... how will you vote???

Your CWA Local Presidents Recommend A Strong Alliance to Maintain Our Passenger Service Careers

An alliance between CWA at US Airways, and Teamsters at America West, is best for the job security, standard of living and working conditions of passenger service employees at both airlines.

The lack of an alliance would be dangerous for agents at both airlines...
With the airline industry in chaos, and employees suffering cuts at every airline, agents at US Airways and America West cannot afford an antagonistic conflict against each other that would risk our salaries, our protections and our benefits.

We have worked out an alliance which will preserve the US Airways agents' CWA contract, their CWA locals and their access to information and participation in their union.

The alliance (called Association of Airline Passenger Service Employees IBT + CWA) will allow us to remain CWA members while the America West employees remain Teamster members. US Airways agents will remain protected by the terms and conditions of their CWA contract.

In the future, the goal is to bring the AWA salaries and conditions up to the CWA contract level, and to improve aspects of the CWA contract (for example: activate our "snap backs" sooner for holidays, vacation, sickdays, premiums, etc.). We eventually want a single, improved contract protecting the entire passenger service group.

When that future, single, contract is achieved, the Teamster agents in eastern stations would be CWA-represented. The CWA agents in western stations would be Teamster-represented. The Alliance will allow us to work in a concerted effort to resolve major contract issues that would affect all members, regardless of location. But that is in the future. For now US Airways agents, East and West, remain protected by their CWA contract.

Those are big goals and we can accomplish them by working together for a united passenger service group.

For the good of our careers, for the good of our new airline, it makes sense to form an alliance between the two work groups that maintains their current representation and contract (US Airways/CWA) and status quo conditions (AWA/Teamsters).

For that reason we recommend and request that you approve this Alliance when you receive your ballot and Alliance proposal in the mail.

Deltawatch -

How does any of that change the scenario that I described above? The alliance would come into full effect AFTER full integration. You would still be operating seperately, under your current contract(s). This still means a loss of US employees if/when US flying is reduced.

We are losing approx 40 additional airplanes between now and Feb. That flying is coming off the US side only. How does the alliance provide any balance in which side the jobs will come from? Does it make sense (prior to a merged contract or full integration) that in common stations, if there is a reduction of flying that the AWA people would lose their jobs?

Please don't shoot the messenger......I am just putting a theory out there. It doesn't matter how I would vote, since I don't have a vote.

It is simple.

Management has the ability to exploit division.

Does any U employee doubt that?

This 'alliance' sows the seeds for future division.

Mr. Parker may indeed be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Do you KNOW he will be CEO two years from now?

DL or NW may offer him a bundle to come walk on water for them.

Then what?

My advise: get the dirty work over now. Choose CWA or IBT and be done with it.

MarkMyWords said:
Deltawatch -

How does any of that change the scenario that I described above?  The alliance would come into full effect AFTER full integration.  You would still be operating seperately, under your current contract(s).  This still means a loss of US employees if/when US flying is reduced. 

We are losing approx 40 additional airplanes between now and Feb.  That flying is coming off the US side only.  How does the alliance provide any balance in which side the jobs will come from?  Does it make sense (prior to a merged contract or full integration) that in common stations, if there is a reduction of flying that the AWA people would lose their jobs? 

Please don't shoot the messenger......I am just putting a theory out there.  It doesn't matter how I would vote, since I don't have a vote.
[post="303108"][/post]​

I expected your answer to be … NO …… IM with you all the way. I would rather boot the CWA and go with the Teamsters if they will do away with this Mainline Express/AWA/US Airways B.S. and get us one contract! If we vote yes for this, CWA members are screwed!!!!! Big time, for all the reasons you mention. The way I see it playing out is 75% of whats left of the CWA membership gets furloughed or expressed so a hand full of people in the hub can make $17.00 an hour for a couple more years and in the end theyget AWA wages. Makes me so mad I can't type...

You watch they will play the numbers and get a yes vote by making the hubs believe they are fine and tricking INT RES. into believing they will be left alone, then after it passes reality will set in at INT and CLT, they’ll get screwed too!

How stupid can the CWA be??????

Deltawatch....

Diogenes hit the nail right on the head. But it isn't the company advoacting division, it is the unions - trying to protect their source of income. I agree....pick one - unity, not division will help you get a fair contract and not pit one unions objectives against another.

Latest posts

Back