No teddy bears, and FA's in black garbage bags.

Trip Confirmed

Advanced
Dec 5, 2002
This is not the entire article, read it all , it's unreal.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=48269

Airline bans Bibles to avoid offending Muslims
Carrier to Saudi Arabia also precluding crucifixes, teddy bears
---------- :shock:
A British airline banned its staff from taking Bibles and wearing crucifixes or St. Christopher medals on flights to Saudi Arabia to avoid offending the country's Muslims.

British Midland International also has told female flight attendants they must walk two paces behind male colleagues and cover themselves from head to foot in a headscarf and robe known as an abaya, the Mirror newspaper of London reported.

I agree that airline personnel are considered 'ambassadors' for their respective company and country in general. This article does bring up one very valid point.
An airline employee who asked not to be named told the Mirror: "It's outrageous that we must respect their beliefs but they're not prepared to respect ours."

I agree whole-heartedly with this statement. Regardless of how strict your customs are, you must realize that there are other practiced customs in the world (it even varies greatly in the Muslim countries). The pins are negotiable (ie they can be worn, but wear them under jackets or what-not), but to have non-Muslim crew members dress in abayas and follow Muslim practices is beyond silly. I think the BMI spokesman (and company in general) in this article is confusing 'customs' with religion. You are after all providing a service to these people, and they must be able to tolerate the customs of others. Islam is the religion, and it does teach tolerance.

I think this is the most insane part (although the Teddy bear stuff is beyond idiocy)

The employees' union wants staff members to be able to opt out of the flights, but the airline says the only option is to transfer from overseas staff to domestic flights, which could mean a loss of about $30,000 a year in wages.

Latest posts

Back