Norwegian Air takes B787s out of service...demand Boeing fix them

What difference does that make? Do you work for Boeing? Is that why you keep minimizing and denigrating the continuing maintenance problems with the aircraft? Seems like every time one turns around there is another problem with the 787. And, if it were just one problem or problem area--like the batteries that caught on fire--that would be one thing. But, each report of problems seems to be another part of the airplane.

If it were your new car and you were having to take it back to the dealer for repairs every week, I bet you would be ranting about the shoddy construction of the piece of junk. And, that car is not going to leave the ground with a couple of hundred passengers and crew aboard.

What difference does that make? Do you work for Boeing? Is that why you keep minimizing and denigrating the continuing maintenance problems with the aircraft? Seems like every time one turns around there is another problem with the 787. And, if it were just one problem or problem area--like the batteries that caught on fire--that would be one thing. But, each report of problems seems to be another part of the airplane.

If it were your new car and you were having to take it back to the dealer for repairs every week, I bet you would be ranting about the shoddy construction of the piece of junk. And, that car is not going to leave the ground with a couple of hundred passengers and crew aboard.

Big difference! You do know the Dreamliner is the most advances commercial aircraft to ever take to the skies. Anyone with even a casual knowledge of aircraft development knows there are going to be problems as the aircraft comes into its own. I defy you to show me just one aircraft that hasn't had reliability problems or technical difficulties in their development. The lithium ion battery problem has been resolved and the last fire was due to a shorted Lithium battery in a Honeywell ELT (those ELT's are installed in many different aircraft type and are the subject of an FAA AD note). Not sure what other problems you are talking about even if you knew anything about aircraft, which you don't. Norwegian Airlines is pissed over a failed hydraulic pump as if hydraulic pumps never fail. I would venture to say that a budget airline like Norwegian has no business owning such an advance aircraft as the Dreamliner.

No one has been seriously hurt in any Dreamliner incident and that's a lot more than I can say for some of the aircraft you teach people how to fasten their seatbelts on. Settle down Jim, everything is going to be just fine!

I agree with you knot, even though I do not agree with your denigration of Jim in the post.

I have been around long enough, working on new generation aircraft to have seen growth issues. The last time a new advanced airliner was rolled out was the Airbus A-320 family. The media coverage was completely different then. No YouTube, instant internet news stories, etc.

Airbus worked through the issues and now have a very good product.

Boeing, Lockheed, General Dynamics, Grumman, Cessna, Piper, etc., have all dealt with this.

The Boeing Dreamliner will be an extremely succesful program.

I am glad we did not give up on the space program when the issues become news. ;-)

I agree with you knot, even though I do not agree with your denigration of Jim in the post.

I have been around long enough, working on new generation aircraft to have seen growth issues. The last time a new advanced airliner was rolled out was the Airbus A-320 family. The media coverage was completely different then. No YouTube, instant internet news stories, etc.

Airbus worked through the issues and now have a very good product.

Boeing, Lockheed, General Dynamics, Grumman, Cessna, Piper, etc., have all dealt with this.

The Boeing Dreamliner will be an extremely succesful program.

I am glad we did not give up on the space program when the issues become news. ;-)
I'm an aerospace engineering professional and defend the professionals in my discipline. As long as Jim continues his attacks on my profession with his snark innuendo, I will continue to respond unabated. We all have a place in this industry and we all should be working towards the goals of safe, economical commercial air travel. Jim may not understand that he is not helping our cause by making unprofessional and uniformed comments about an aircraft he may one day exercise his profession in. It's would be very easy to put the microscope over his profession and highlight the many discrepancies, I elect not to go that course.

Liar. I wasn't making any comment. All I did was post a link to a public news source. Are you saying that something that is fact and is news may not be mentioned on this forum? Especially, if you have decided it is a personal attack on you? (P.S. I don't care about you enough to use the energy to attack you.) Oh, and Mr. Aerospace professional, the airplane may be engineered to the nth degree, but it may be assembled badly. I don't judge. I just know the headline was exactly as I posted at the top of this thread.

If one of them falls out of the sky, I take it that we can neither report the incident nor discuss it on this forum for fear of offending you. Fat chance.

Liar. I wasn't making any comment. All I did was post a link to a public news source. Are you saying that something that is fact and is news may not be mentioned on this forum? Especially, if you have decided it is a personal attack on you? (P.S. I don't care about you enough to use the energy to attack you.) Oh, and Mr. Aerospace professional, the airplane may be engineered to the nth degree, but it may be assembled badly. I don't judge. I just know the headline was exactly as I posted at the top of this thread.

If one of them falls out of the sky, I take it that we can neither report the incident nor discuss it on this forum for fear of offending you. Fat chance.
Something about your comment . . the beat goes on, wasn't part of the headline. You have the right to creep on any headline you wish, I mean seriously, what you know about the aerospace industry can be summed up in two words, absolutely nothing. For a guy that doesn't judge, you certainly rag on the American made aircraft a lot, but that's ok, if nothing else your exaggerated technical expressions like "bursting into flames" are amusing. BTW, what citation can you offer to back your claim that the aircraft is being "built badly", or are you just lying? If any aircraft were to fall out of the sky you would be behind the last person I would consult. Have a nice day, Jim!

my own opin i do think that once all the bugs are worked out of the 787-8 and possibly the 9 series (not sure the difference in both types) i think the 787 will be a good plane and itll be real interested to see the A350 series too once it starts comin out online

Knotbuyinit said:
Big difference! You do know the Dreamliner is the most advances commercial aircraft to ever take to the skies. Anyone with even a casual knowledge of aircraft development knows there are going to be problems as the aircraft comes into its own. I defy you to show me just one aircraft that hasn't had reliability problems or technical difficulties in their development. The lithium ion battery problem has been resolved and the last fire was due to a shorted Lithium battery in a Honeywell ELT (those ELT's are installed in many different aircraft type and are the subject of an FAA AD note). Not sure what other problems you are talking about even if you knew anything about aircraft, which you don't. Norwegian Airlines is pissed over a failed hydraulic pump as if hydraulic pumps never fail. I would venture to say that a budget airline like Norwegian has no business owning such an advance aircraft as the Dreamliner.

No one has been seriously hurt in any Dreamliner incident and that's a lot more than I can say for some of the aircraft you teach people how to fasten their seatbelts on. Settle down Jim, everything is going to be just fine!
http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/57920-dreamliner-battery-fire-caused-by-boeing-design/

Oh, gee.  Must have been a mistake by a drink server.  Couldn't possibly have been a design engineer's mistake.

Knotbuyinit said:

The issues with the 787 go beyond the normal teething issues experienced with a new airliner.  Most of the problems with the 787 can be traced to Boeing surrendering much of it's quality control and placing it with vendors.  Add to that giving outsourcing work to companies that were ill prepared to handle it and it's no wonder the why the program has had so many problems and is billions of dollars in the hole.

Latest posts

Back