Now the schedule can be set for CLA implementation

Sep 18, 2007
Miami
Yesterday, Jimntx asked a question about the furlough protections that go into effect per the bridge agreement upon exit from BK. According to the APFA FACT letter, here is the schedule:

Effective Immediately On Exit From Bankruptcy:
·   Employment Threshold eliminated
·   Furlough protection
Effective on First Day of Bid Month Following Merger: (January 1, 2014):
·   International Override applied to paid trip removals (e.g. SK, VC, BR, JD, etc.)
·   Time Away From Base(TAFB)/Per Diem increased to $2.00-Domestic & $2.20-International
·   Domestic Aft Galley Pay restored
·   Vacation and Sick Accrual Thresholds restored to 420 hours (prorated for DEC if merger takes place on or before December 16, 2013)
·   PVDs paid at trip missed value and ability to use unlimited PVDs up to expected accrual
·   401(k) match becomes age based contribution for those on seniority list as of 4/12/12
FAs under 40 years old - 5.5% contribution
FAs 40-49 years old - 6.75% contribution
FAs 50 years and older - 9.9% contribution
FAs hired after 4/12/12 - 3% contribution and up to 2.5% match after one year of service

Effective on First Day of the 2nd Bid Month Following Merger: (January 31, 2014)
·   8:59 Duty Aloft for Domestic returns
·   On-Duty Limitations for Domestic returns
·   Monthly Limitations lowered to 90 hours with ability to flex no more than 5 hours per month and 20 hours per year

I am especially excited about out per diem going up to close to industry-leading, and the 401(k) contrib, US crew can correct me if I am wrong but I believe they receive a match, not a contribution

**It should also be noted that last week, Laura Glading invited AFA-CWA president Roger Holmin to an "open forum" to discuss the differences between the two unions and he has yet to respond.

The 8.59 and duty aloft provisions are very important! Being international, the vast majority of this stuff didn't and still won't affect me. However I am really excited that it is going back to reasonable levels. Those 2 things alone will cause more jobs in our ranks. I have the feeling Roger knows he/AFA over played their hand. I bet everything gets ironed out very quietly and soon. Personally, I feel APFA gave too much to pacify the AFA. But that is just me. I would rather have zero interaction with them in the future, be it mutual interest or not.

Lord knows, I don't want a repeat of last June when I was on reserve.  I had a two-day stretch where I was on duty for 30 hours total due to mechanical and weather delays--14.5 hours the first day, 15.5 the second day.  Both days the delays came "in progress" so the "limitations" could be exceeded.

Conditional Labor Agreement-- it's the interim or "bridge" agreement that APFA signed with US management as a placeholder in advance of the negotiation of a post-bankrupcy, post-merger contract. Had it not been for the CLA, AA FAs would be working under the bankruptcy contract (the Last, Best and Final Offer) terms indefinitely until a common contract is negotiated.

- astra

Edit: It was "Conditional" in that the merger had to close before it would become effective

I know this will be a dumb question, but since I'm not ever going to get rich on an AA pension or 401-K, I've never really thought about it.  When the CLA calls for a 9.9% contribution, is that 9.9% of gross pay, net pay after deductions, or something in between?  Also, we have a current match up to 5.5%, and I am putting in the maximum.  Does the match continue or will the contribution replace the company match.  (I intend to continue my 5.5% contribution regardless.)

IORFA said:
Personally, I feel APFA gave too much to pacify the AFA. But that is just me. I would rather have zero interaction with them in the future, be it mutual interest or not.

Meeee toooo.

Back