Now What?

""...The skepticism is understandable considering the IAMs history at UAL, but it is not the same IAM we would be returning to should a card drive prove successful...""

This is one statement we agree upon. There is only one teeny tiny difference. You believe they have improved. I have witnessed the downhill slide from good to poor performance.

Ez, I believe I've acknowledged the challenges based on the IAMs previous history with the Mechanics at UAL. This has been weighed and measured against our current representation, or more to the point, lack thereof under the IBT, and we have decided to try and effect change via a new Mechanics District with the IAM.

I noted you have faith in the IBTs ability to secure CAL Ramp a contract more expeditiously than the IAM. You might want to investigate the IBTs recent lack of progress at their flagship group UPS - Over FOUR years negotiating and no contract, Horizon pilots also over FOUR years and only just secured a TA, and the Mechanic Group here at UAL, where the IBT IGNORED mechanic contractual language to commence joint mediation with the company.

Ez, I believe I've acknowledged the challenges based on the IAMs previous history with the Mechanics at UAL. This has been weighed and measured against our current representation, or more to the point, lack thereof under the IBT, and we have decided to try and effect change via a new Mechanics District with the IAM.

I noted you have faith in the IBTs ability to secure CAL Ramp a contract more expeditiously than the IAM. You might want to investigate the IBTs recent lack of progress at their flagship group UPS - Over FOUR years negotiating and no contract, Horizon pilots also over FOUR years and only just secured a TA, and the Mechanic Group here at UAL, where the IBT IGNORED mechanic contractual language to commence joint mediation with the company.

I dont know what happened in the other examples but I would stay away from criticizing what the IBT has done at UPS , four years without an agreement and they are still more than $10/hr ahead of everyone else, except SWA, but they are still way ahead of them, way ahead of non union Fed Ex as well. The latest IAM contract, signed after the UPS contract became amendable, at USAIR, is nothing to brag about since they make around $500/week less than a mechanic at UPS. Thats $26,000 a year, thats more than the difference between a baggage handler and a mechanic, its not like having a different employer, its like having a different profession!

I dont know what happened in the other examples but I would stay away from criticizing what the IBT has done at UPS , four years without an agreement and they are still more than $10/hr ahead of everyone else, except SWA, but they are still way ahead of them, way ahead of non union Fed Ex as well. The latest IAM contract, signed after the UPS contract became amendable, at USAIR, is nothing to brag about since they make around $500/week less than a mechanic at UPS. Thats $26,000 a year, thats more than the difference between a baggage handler and a mechanic, its not like having a different employer, its like having a different profession!

Bob, I was merely pointing out that the IBTs recent negotiations don't bare out the faith for a quick contract.

As for UAL, I will most definitely criticize them for IGNORING contract language that was secured in previous negotiations to speed an already interminable process.

A direct example of the truth behind IBT "strong bargaining" - Horizon Air

The IBT represents both Mechanics and Pilots.

Could not this very thing happen between groups at UAL under the IBT?

You all should just join ALPA and dump your unions. I'm sure they would love to have you.

Until our government steps in and puts some kind of tariffs on the goods and services that other countries provide, we are all in a race to the bottom. The USA has been at the top of the pile for a long time and with the third world countries coming in and providing that service at half of what it is provided for in the USA, what do you expect. WN, B6 and USair all have maintenance done in San Salvador. They must get a super deal on it, since none of them offer service there. It's a 5 to 7 hour round trip depending on the city you leave from. That has to cost a pretty penny to fly there empty, yet they still find it cheaper to do maintenance there. We're (USA) bringing the rest of the third world up, and we are moving down to meet them. We need someone who has some cajone's, not the bootlickers we have now in the gov't to set tariff's in place and bring the rest of the world up to our standards.

NYG, mechanics at UAL have started a card drive to return to the IAM.
Good Luck! I wish my union brothers and sisters the best. I've stated my opinions and don't need to beat a dead horse. I hold a special place in my heart for all those "old" (most retired now) line mechs. It is they who indocrinated me into unionism. They were/ARE the best!
Still think you guys should consider some type of association within UAL...oops, sorry,,I'm done. Time to move on and enjoy the ride of our new company. The CO employees and manager in my station are great. Looking forward not back!

Until our government steps in and puts some kind of tariffs on the goods and services that other countries provide, we are all in a race to the bottom. The USA has been at the top of the pile for a long time and with the third world countries coming in and providing that service at half of what it is provided for in the USA, what do you expect. WN, B6 and USair all have maintenance done in San Salvador. They must get a super deal on it, since none of them offer service there. It's a 5 to 7 hour round trip depending on the city you leave from. That has to cost a pretty penny to fly there empty, yet they still find it cheaper to do maintenance there. We're (USA) bringing the rest of the third world up, and we are moving down to meet them. We need someone who has some cajone's, not the bootlickers we have now in the gov't to set tariff's in place and bring the rest of the world up to our standards.
I have to wonder if cost is the only factor as to why WN, B6 and USAIR (IAM? AFL-CIO?) send work down there. I saw where AAR was looking to hire mechanics but could not get them, saw where Boeing was looking to increase their output. Havent heard of any layoffs of mechanics at Timco or any other major 3P provider. Maybe the capacity simply isnt there any more to do that work here.

From what I hear it takes around three weeks for the mechanics to get those planes that are sent overseas back in shape when they return. So between fuel costs and loss of service it couldnt be much of a savings.

Maybe what we need is for the FAA to do recieving inspections of planes that come back after being worked on overseas. Once it gets here they dont need to get permission to see the quality of their workmanship, then if there are too many things wrong with it yank their certification right there.

With the recent unionization of Fleet Service workers at Continental and the merger of CAL and UAL who will be the the union for the combined group? CAL now has the IBT, UAL has the IAM. The mechanics at both Airlines have IBT. That would seem to be the better choice, have you guys heard anything?
What it will end up being is who has the best contract at the time of the certification vote. If IAM doesn't have a new one, IBT will most likely win an election as the current one with IAM ramp and stores is a joke. Ask anyone in Denver.

What it will end up being is who has the best contract at the time of the certification vote. If IAM doesn't have a new one, IBT will most likely win an election as the current one with IAM ramp and stores is a joke. Ask anyone in Denver.

As a mechanic in Denver I can tell you the ramp has tried to start an ibt card drive without the ibt's blessing. That's because they promised the mechanics they wouldn't. When the time comes, sadly I can say the Denver ramp people will vote for the ibt. The iam is bad but not near as bad as the ibt. Don't trust the ibt claims in their endeavor to organize, they will literally say anything for a vote. GT

Back