NW flight cancelled due to foul mouth crew member

jenny@nw

Veteran
Feb 20, 2006
pacific nw
FAA: Northwest flight canceled after pilot's outburst4/7/2007, 2:17 p.m. EDT
The Associated Press

ROMULUS, Mich. (AP) — A Northwest Airlines flight from Las Vegas to Detroit was canceled after authorities said a pilot was yelling obscenities during a mobile phone conversation as passengers boarded.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police responded after being called at McCarran International Airport about the pilot Friday afternoon, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said Saturday.

The pilot was apparently in a heated mobile phone conversation in the cockpit, then went into a lavatory, where he locked the door and continued the conversation as passengers boarded, Gregor said.

"Passengers who were boarding the aircraft could hear his end of it," Gregor said.

Authorities were told that the pilot, when confronted by a passenger, cursed at the passenger, Gregor said.

There were 180 passengers and five crew on the flight to Detroit Metropolitan Airport in Romulus, Northwest Airlines Corp. said in a statement.

The name of the captain, who Gregor said was a veteran pilot, wasn't released.

Gregor said Northwest decided to remove the pilot from the flight and return him to his home base in Detroit for an investigation. He said it was up to Northwest to determine what would happen to the pilot.

Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest said the flight was canceled due to reports of inappropriate language by a crew member. Northwest also issued an apology to passengers and said the incident was under review.

"Customers on the flight were accommodated on other flights to their destinations," the airline said.

Northwest said it provided passengers with meals and hotels during their additional time in Las Vegas. Most were expected to be on flights by Saturday, Northwest said, and a few were booked on flights Sunday.

The FAA plans to follow up with Northwest about the incident, Gregor said.

Stolen from one of many sites discussing this...

More like the flight was cancelled because the pilot was bug #@%& crazy...

Stolen from one of many sites discussing this...

More like the flight was cancelled because the pilot was bug #@%& crazy...
So what's it to ya if I got it from "MLive.com"? :lol: You can click on the link all you like where I stole it from... :lol:

I think this just got overblown and someone made a big deal out of it. Probably found out the wife bought a car for his kids without his knowlege or something to that effect. ;) Did we forget about that big pay donation to NW management................? :down:

Whatever, blow it off as usual. I didn't write it, I just copied it.

Someday someone here will actually forget about their only topic "pay" and think about a secondary topic, "PR".

Someday they might even realize there's a connection.

Or maybe not.

excuse the sarcasm...but a pilot who claims to be so educated...so perfect so important to the airline. actually was using profane language infront of paying passengers. the pilot was stupid really stupid. If it was a regular person they would be punished. a passenger would be removed and possibly arrested. Just like the AQA drunkl pilot he will probably get away with dumb arse behavior

Or did he save 180 lives by refusing to fly an unsafe aircraft? Hmmm people were placed on other flights and/or put up in hotels??!!
Wonder what really got his goat and what the passengers really over heard besides cursing. Guess we'll never know...tisk,tisk on the potty mouth.

Or did he save 180 lives by refusing to fly an unsafe aircraft? Hmmm people were placed on other flights and/or put up in hotels??!!
Wonder what really got his goat and what the passengers really over heard besides cursing. Guess we'll never know...tisk,tisk on the potty mouth.

Are you saying maybe the aircraft was unsafe amd the pilot protested by screaming obscenities in the aircraft BATHROOM? That's how a NW pilot handles unsafe aircraft???

Unreal. Lets just let the 180 passengers tell all their families and aquaintances, and they'll repeat it.. That will mutiply into thousands or hundreds of thousands in just days.

Are you saying maybe the aircraft was unsafe amd the pilot protested by screaming obscenities in the aircraft BATHROOM? That's how a NW pilot handles unsafe aircraft???

Unreal. Lets just let the 180 passengers tell all their families and aquaintances, and they'll repeat it.. That will mutiply into thousands or hundreds of thousands in just days.
Whats that saying I'm looking for?
Oh yea....

You get what you pay for!

Maybe RobertD got it right...

Perhaps the pilot was on his cell phone talking to Maintenance Control or Flight Ops, concerned with the airworthiness of his aircraft, and things got out of control on his end.

Of course, if a maintenance issue was the reason for the pilot's meltdown, I'm sure that NW will not disclose that information eagerly.

Just a guess on my part...

Right. Like a pilot will use their own cell phone to call Maint and not the jet bridge or gate phone. If you believe that I have a bunch of stuff I want to sell you.

Well, today it's a top story on MSNBC,CNN, ABC,CBS,FoxNews, ,Drudgereport, Lucianne.com, and about 3 others I read but forgot.

NW can't cover this up. The hardworking NW employees just got kicked in the teeth, bigtime.

There's no brushing this off.

If the idiot had just limited his rantings to his cellphone friend, it would not have been quite so bad.

But when he started screaming the F-bomb at the passengers??

That tells the world Northwest Airlines has pilots who are totally unstable nutcases. Anyone remember EgyptAir ?

These are their Pilots???

This may be the worst thing that has happened to NW in 10-20 years.

All the other stuff got forgotten after a while. I think this will stay.
Nutzoid passengers or even crew members are one thing.

Mentally unbalanced Captains?

God help you all.

You are hip deep in serious doo.

Right. Like a pilot will use their own cell phone to call Maint and not the jet bridge or gate phone. If you believe that I have a bunch of stuff I want to sell you.

Yes, I have witnessed on many occasions pilots using cell phones in the cockpit calling the chief pilot, mc, crew sked etc...

BTW I was a line Lead Tech when this happened. Are you a pilot Garfield?

I may be a bit out of touch, but cell phones were used constantly by the crew to communicate with the company for such matters, at least until I was replaced in Aug 2005.