Nw Strikes

1L1R2L2R

Aug 2, 2005
Northwest Airlines workers represented by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association went on strike early Saturday morning, as the union and the carrier weren't able to reach a labor agreement both sides could accept.
The nation's fourth-largest airline said in a statement on its Web site that it plans to operate a normal schedule despite the failure to reach a pact with the union, which represents more than 4,000 mechanics, cleaners and custodians.

"Northwest wanted a strike, and now they have one," said O.V. Delle-Femine, AMFA's national director. "We apologize in advance to the flying public for the inconvenience and disruption the strike will cause. This will be difficult for our members and their families too, but Northwest left us no choice."

Just after midnight EDT, a 30-day cooling-off period mandated by federal labor law expired, allowing the mechanics to strike and giving the airline the option to put replacement mechanics on the job.

"During the past 18 months, Northwest developed a comprehensive contingency plan that includes expanded vendor relationships to ensure that the airline continues to operate normally," Doug Steenland, the company's president and chief executive, said in a press release. "Northwest has experienced, licensed and trained mechanics in place to service all NWA aircraft."

Even as the deadline for the workers and Northwest to find common ground drew closer, a strike was appearing more and more likely. In the past, AMFA has said the airline didn't want to budge from its proposal to lay off 53% of the mechanics and cut the pay of those who remained by about one-quarter.

Northwest has said it needs concessions totaling $176 million a year from the mechanics as part of a bid to lower its annual labor costs by $1.1 billion. The company said the cost reductions are required if it's to stay out of bankruptcy.

Well from what I can tell the FA's and Pilots did not strike (from the news I have read so far) I am sure the AMFA will slow things down quite a bit. I think all will depend on how long the strike will last. NW did say they had replacement workers so there are many things here that will depend on what affect this will have for US Airways or other airlines for that matter.

We all are going to be watching the news today and see what unfolds.

US AIRWAYS FAN said:
Well from what I can tell the FA's and Pilots did not strike (from the news I have read so far) I am sure the AMFA will slow things down quite a bit. I think all will depend on how long the strike will last. NW did say they had replacement workers so there are many things here that will depend on what affect this will have for US Airways or other airlines for that matter.

We all are going to be watching the news today and see what unfolds.
[post="289908"][/post]​
On our mech's here are AMFA. One of the guy's here was telling me that Northwest's Last final offer would result in the reduction of 53% of their MX work force. How could anyone yes vote for that?

atleast they stood up for what they believe was right compared to what the iam did to their mechanics and in particular the fleet service.

It is about time that one of the Unions stood up to the Company instead of folding as the IAM has done several times. Good for AMFA and the NWA Mechanics!!!
The Airlines have made it a standard practice to strip the employees of their wages and benefits, using 9/11 as an excuse. Most of the workforce have been taken back 20 years in wages to date. Has Management gone backwards this far??
Hopefully the NWA Strike will reverse this trend of employeee Screwing.

Can someone answer for me if Northwest files Chapter 11, do/would the Northwest Union mechanics return or do they remain on strike? I would believe if Northwest does file Chapter 11 and the mechanics do not return, operations will shutdown within a month and the airline will likely liquidate.

How do you figure? They have hired nearly 1900 replacement workers (scabs). I am sure there are contracts being written to outsource all heavy MTC and deals being struck to perform line maintenance. If the company files for Chapter 11, why would you see them liquidating in a month? They are still flying a full schedule as of this morning.

Just curious of how you arrived at your conclusion.

Even if NWA does file CH11, the mechanics are obligated to follow thru with what their union leadership tells them. AMFA threatend at UAL as did their part IAM however, in UALs case they settled. AMFA at NWA knew not to follow thru and therefore struck. the only way I think that can be stopped is if the President or a Judge orders them back to work. I could be wrong though. But in CH11 their contract wont be good and they would get stiffed badly if not worse than IAM at USAIR

robbedagain said:
Even if NWA does file CH11, the mechanics are obligated to follow thru with what their union leadership tells them. AMFA threatend at UAL as did their part IAM however, in UALs case they settled. AMFA at NWA knew not to follow thru and therefore struck. the only way I think that can be stopped is if the President or a Judge orders them back to work. I could be wrong though. But in CH11 their contract wont be good and they would get stiffed badly if not worse than IAM at USAIR
[post="289943"][/post]​
Their contract is good until a judge reeceives a motion to disolve it. UAL used that as threat.

Did US do that?

NWA imposed a new working conditions at 12:01 AM as the Railway Labor Act permits, the AMFA/NWA contract was replaced with new terms which NWA is allowed to do under the law as AMFA was allowed to strike.

AMFA represented employees at NW won the right to strike but NW won the right to impose its own terms on workers or lock them out. The premise of NW being able to hire replacement workers is in NW's right to do what it can to protect its business. If NW is able to fly somewhat unscathed through a strike, they could very soon choose to lockout the AMFA represented workers, meaning they could not come back - a 100% loss of AMFA jobs.

While I suspect NW will have some success in flying through a strike, there are bound to be irregular operations. The degree to which those occur determines whether NW will end up in BK or not.

NW's AMFA employees are in a somewhat better position to fight for reasonabliy decent contract terms than were UA or US' employees but the failing economics of the industry cannot be overcome and employees are bound to pay a price one way or another.

NW has Neil Cohen over there. NW will go into Ch 11 no matter what.

They are going to hammer labor, Corporat America -Style...I hope labor give them the
HELL their managment deserves!

Hopefully the spiral to the bottom for labor cost savings will slow down now.

Go AMFA! :up:

Neil is very good at his job. He has my utmost respect. My bet is on NWA.

Pitbull, "hammer labor" is so harsh. NWA will do what is needed to ensure that the company has the necessary costs to become profitable. The issue is competing with the LCCs.

NWA union leaders should learn a lesson from the Airways' unions. BK isn't properous for unions. Once a company enters BK, there are a new set of rules. :rolleyes: Right Pitbull?

Latest posts

Back