Obama & The Death Penalty

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Well boys and girls it looks like the Supreme Leader of the Peoples Republic of Barackistan and his henchmen in the FDA are at it again. This time are trying to accomplish through the misapplication of federal regulations what they cannot achieve through popular opinion/vote. Yet another showing of the elitist arrogance and blatant hypocrisy of the Progressive movement.

On March 15, the Drug Enforcement Administration seized Georgia's supply of sodium thiopental, the first drug given under the three-drug lethal injection protocol used in most of the country's 34 death-penalty states. The DEA also asked Kentucky and Tennessee for their sodium thiopental to aid its investigation.

Why? The DEA referred me to the Department of Justice, which sent an e-mail declining to comment. News reports indicate that the feds had concerns that the drugs were imported improperly.

In the meantime, defense attorneys for convicted killers have been happy to chat with the press about what they call the illegal purchase of the drug. They never give up. First, international death penalty opponents blocked foreign manufacture of lethal injection drugs. Then, they put so much pressure on the industry that U.S. manufacturer Hospira stopped making it. As the supply dried up, states scrambled to get remaining doses and turned to a British wholesaler. That created another opening.

A lawsuit filed in a District of Columbia federal court charges that Georgia, California and other states have received shipments of "foreign thiopental" that was "misbranded" -- and worse, not FDA approved.

This is why Progressives favor government regulation. The regulations may in fact be well meaning and even good for society as a whole until somebody in power has a pet peeve that is opposite the majority point of view. Then we see the wheels of inappropriate use of the regulatory process for what could well be personal or political gain.

Interestingly enough I'm no fan of the death penalty as it means that we have decided as a society that someone is beyond redemption and frankly I think that's a decision that only our creator can make. Again an inappropriate roll for government. However just when I convince myself of this I read about someone like Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer and then it's like "Well maybe just this once". There are no easy answers, however one thing is certain and that is that what we read in this article is and the actions it describes is wrong

More Here

So you believe in regulations just different ones from other people.

In a Libertarian utopia there would be no regulations at the Federal Level.

However as my little redheaded friend points out that at some point you have to realize that some regulation is required for an orderly society. The Banking Industry would be one glaring example. The debate there is how much regulation is required. Yet with all the regulation in Banking we don't insist upon auditing the Federal Reserve. If the Fed is pure as the driven snow they'd welcome an audit. Same with the food supply, airlines and a few others.

Where the danger to a free society exists is in over regulation that allows politicians to achieve objectives that would otherwise fail at the ballot box. EPA comes to mindas does the Dept of Education

I think most would agree that the most screwed up industry in the US is Health Care. It's also an industry that is highly regulated, subsidized and otherwise meddled with by the government. Cause & Effect? I'd argue that the answer is YES