Oil

aafsc said:
I got another example of his ignorance. He says that an insurnce company has to write a policy on a sick person who was previously covered (see my UA example regarding depedents). This is NOT true. I just talked to a state farm agent and used my hypothetical UA example. She said that NO insurance company would be required to write a policy in such a case. Again, he posts false information.
[post="263998"][/post]​

again, do your research so you don't look stupid. I'd suggest you start with HIPPA.

I grew up in a country that runs on socialized care, and your comment just shows that you don't know the least thing about it. Keep listening to Rush on AM and keep deluding yourself.

Actually, I listen to Air america.

Busdrvr said:
Whatever, here's a pict of me in Kandahar Afghanistan with a pistol and vest.....

It's not showing up, how do you attach a gif picture?
[post="264059"][/post]​

Here is a pic of me holding my pistol.

XXX

:p

markkus757 said:
N by NW, are you kidding me? I heard all of the Dems, including Kerry, Clinton, and Kennedy all saying that he them and that he was a threat. Do you know that it was the policy of Clinton in 1998 that he wanted regime change in Iraq after the UN inspectors were kicked out? If no one else thought Iraq had WMDs, why were ALL of the major intelligence agencies wrong about what they thought to be true? It's one thing to be wrong, it's another thing to just point the finger at your political enemy. I'll admit, he's not very bright or very "with it", but at least he takes a stand and doesn't change his position every time the poll numbers change. You might not agree with him on certain stances, but after 9/11, I don't think this country could take chances with people/countries who support terrorists. The guy who is murdering US soldiers in Iraq is Al-Qaieda relted, you probably heard of him. He also has been in Iraq since about 2002 becuase we hunted him out of Aghanhistan. Again, I must be wrong because the public sided with my opinion last election.
[post="264040"][/post]​
Dear Marcus, if you STILL believe the Iraq war was not based on a big FAT intentional LIE....I have some land in Iraq to sell you. They are building an exotic resort there. As far as the last election is concern...the German people made a simular mistake prior to WW2. :wacko: "I'll admit, he's not very bright or very "with it", but at least he takes a stand and doesn't change his position every time the poll numbers change. You might not agree with him on certain stances, but after 9/11, I don't think this country could take chances with people/countries who support terrorists." Only a dummy doesn't change his position if he knows it's wrong. Well, I guess we'll be at WAR with Iran, Syria, N. Korea...and all the other nations that don't march to our beat. On the contrary, I think Mr. Bush is an intelligent man...just not intelligent to run the world.

Busdrvr said:
Everyone can't afford insurance. Example:

<< 40hours a week(assuming full time MANY jobs are part time)x$10hr=$400-$100 in taxes( federal income tax,social security tax, and medicare tax. Lets assume that you don't live in New York. So no state,or city tax) So you have $300 per week take home x4 weeks in a month=$1,200 a month....>>

Kids? They have kids? Then they don't pay a dime in SS or Fed tax, so add that back in.

I've avoided most of this thread, but had to chime in here. Kids or no, the hypothetical person is paying 7.65% FICA (6.2% OASDI, 1.45% Medicare).

As for federal taxes, if we're talking head of household (single parent with two children under the age of 18, barring very unusual circumstances) they will not be paying fed taxes and in fact will probably qualify for the Earned Income Credit. (I'm too lazy to look up the exact amount right now, and it's not terribly relevant to the discussion). However, this hypothtical person making 20,800/yr may very well owe state income taxes (IL has a low flat 3% tax rate and 2K "exemptions", for example.)

Sorry to jump in, but taxes are my job. You may now return to your political posturing.

-synchronicity

MachPi said:
Both the left and the right agree that there is a basic right to a level of healthcare, food, and shelter. Their differences lie in where they think the level should exist. Busdrvr, being a sweet man, thinks the level should lie where he doesn't have to see children and families starving on the side of the road as he drives to work; otherwise, his Starbucks might spill in his lap, causing a slight rise in his drycleaner's income.

Others believe the level should be somewhat higher.
[post="263814"][/post]​

:lol:

B) UT

Borescope said:
"Now i ask you. should I give up appropriate care for my family because YOU chose your path? Who is the arrogant one? The person who delayed gratification, made some tough choices, and chose my course, or someone who was unwilling to put the effort in and now expects me to subsidize them?"
Bus,

Good post :up: Although I think you hit a nerve with UALTech. :lol: This paragraph says it all. Congratulations to you for your persistance in your career path.
[post="262909"][/post]​

Borescope,

Are you a chearleader or do actually have an opinion of your own?

B) UT

Busdrvr said:
again, do your research so you don't look stupid. I'd suggest you start with HIPPA.
I grew up in a country that runs on socialized care, and your comment just shows that you don't know the least thing about it. Keep listening to Rush on AM and keep deluding yourself.

Actually, I listen to Air america.
[post="264060"][/post]​
Quickly looked at a site on hippa and could not find anything that perfectly fits my example. But lets assume that an insurance company must write a policy for this person in my UA example. If the state farm agent said they would be under no obligation to write a policy when hippa says legally they have to, then the state farm agent lied. This proves my very point about the nature of insurance companies. That they will lie in order to not write a policy on a person with preexisting conditions because it will cost them money.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, HIPPA only applies to EMPLOYER-provided group health insurance. 29 U.S.C. 1181 et seq. If you lose a job and are trying to get health insurance coverage on your own, you're SOL.

Maybe that's what y'all mean but it wasn't clear from the last couple of posts on it and I don't feel like digging through eight pages of postings to make sure that had been clarified.

I've avoided most of this thread, but had to chime in here. Kids or no, the hypothetical person is paying 7.65% FICA (6.2% OASDI, 1.45% Medicare).

If taxes are you business, you should be aware of form 8812 (Additional child tax credit) and it's implications for a "working poor" family. A couple kids and the person in the example should be getting back ALL of their FICA.

Ummm. I think Novaqt has a point about how oil morphed into a discussion of English and European health care. I do have to chuckle however, as to some of the misperceptions that are extant. Since I live under the NHS but have a wife who hails from across the Channel, I see the part and parcel of it but am perplexed as to how it pertains to oil and energy prices. I can only wonder where the discussion would have led had I enquired about something the Economist magazine is quite passionate about - the amount of deficit spending by the U.S. government. :shock:
Cheers

Thanks for your support Ukridge! Where are the moderators on this one? They ususally come forth with a "stay on topic" message.

The interesting point to watch will be just how well the demand for oil holds up in India and China. The variance of opinion on this is rather great. On one end, there are those who foresee this insatiable maul of China drinking down the very last drop of reasonably extractable oil on the planet. On the other hand, indicies point to in some cases an actual decrease of manufacturing jobs in China and an explosive increase in service/technical fields which will require in many cases less, not more, oil.
I can see the point of the later argument. China's educational system, while not uniform in quality, is producing some very high calibre students. There are also signs of a reverse diaspora taking place with some talent actually returning to the mainland to work. Look therefore to an increase in brain over brawn industrial growth.
I would have to believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle and that even if the appetite for oil is moderately slaked, China still has 160+ cities with OVER a million inhabitants. The fastest growing middle-classes in the world are in China and India (I admit this statement is ripe for debate but I submit it anyway) and middle-class growth does carry the concomitant and healthy increase in demand. This 'demand' one would think, carry a need for petrol as well.
Whatever the path taken, Western Europe and the FCs need to make adjustments sooner as opposed to later. Shale, drilling, conservation, annexation of Canada ..... take your pick but it seems as if just waiting for the market to straigten it all out without a least a nudge from the exigency of national interest is asking to be left at the gate.
Cheers

Ukridge said:
The interesting point to watch will be just how well the demand for oil holds up in India and China. The variance of opinion on this is rather great. On one end, there are those who foresee this insatiable maul of China drinking down the very last drop of reasonably extractable oil on the planet. On the other hand, indicies point to in some cases an actual decrease of manufacturing jobs in China and an explosive increase in service/technical fields which will require in many cases less, not more, oil.
I can see the point of the later argument. China's educational system, while not uniform in quality, is producing some very high calibre students. There are also signs of a reverse diaspora taking place with some talent actually returning to the mainland to work. Look therefore to an increase in brain over brawn industrial growth.
I would have to believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle and that even if the appetite for oil is moderately slaked, China still has 160+ cities with OVER a million inhabitants. The fastest growing middle-classes in the world are in China and India (I admit this statement is ripe for debate but I submit it anyway) and middle-class growth does carry the concomitant and healthy increase in demand. This 'demand' one would think, carry a need for petrol as well.
Whatever the path taken, Western Europe and the FCs need to make adjustments sooner as opposed to later. Shale, drilling, conservation, annexation of Canada ..... take your pick but it seems as if justing waiting for the market to straigten it all out is asking to be left at the gate.
Cheers
[post="264202"][/post]​

Ukridge,

How dare you to put clarity back in this bit$h fest!
Sorry, but I have to report your post to the moderators. :lol:

Take Care,
B) UT

UK,
China oil consumption rose by about 25% last vs significantly smaller GDP growth. One of the oft cited reasons is that china moved to oil for some power production to alleviate some of it's pollution form previously depending on dirty coal. China is moving fast and furious toward Nuke power, so to some extent, the growth in oil usage may be temporary.

As to the current U.S. deficit, consider what the deficits are in France Germany and Japan as a percent of GDP. then consider what it would be if they didn't depend on the U.S. military to defend them at every turn. considering the roll of the "hamburg cell' in 911, I'm not thinkin the Euro's are pulling their weight in the GWOT. :shock:

Busdrvr said:
UK,
China oil consumption rose by about 25% last vs significantly smaller GDP growth. One of the oft cited reasons is that china moved to oil for some power production to alleviate some of it's pollution form previously depending on dirty coal. China is moving fast and furious toward Nuke power, so to some extent, the growth in oil usage may be temporary.

As to the current U.S. deficit, consider what the deficits are in France Germany and Japan as a percent of GDP. then consider what it would be if they didn't depend on the U.S. military to defend them at every turn. considering the roll of the "hamburg cell' in 911, I'm not thinkin the Euro's are pulling their weight in the GWOT. :shock:
[post="264249"][/post]​
What about the fact that the hijackers trained for and received their FAA Airman's certificate in the U.S. over the course of a couple years?

Back