Oops, Pentagon finds no link

Garfield1966

Veteran
Apr 7, 2003
Texas
WASHINGTON —  A forthcoming Pentagon study has found no operational link between Saddam Hussein and Usama bin Laden's Al Qaeda terrorist network.
McClatchy Newspapers reports that the study, expected to be released later this week, is based on an extensive review of more than 600,000 Iraqi documents that were seized after the U.S.-led war in Iraq in 2003.
While there was no link to Al Qaeda, the investigation revealed that Saddam's regime gave some support to other terror groups in the Middle East, U.S. officials told McClatchy on condition of anonymity. But he targeted those he considered his own enemies, including Shiite Muslims, Kurds, exiles and others, the news service reported.
Sponsored by the Pentagon, the report found no "direct operational link" between Saddam's government in Iraq and bin Laden's Al Qaeda terror ring before the U.S. invasion, an official told McClatchy.
The Bush administration put forth the argument that there was a connection between Saddam and bin Laden when it made the case to go to war with Iraq after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States.

The Pentagon study won't be released before Wednesday.

Digg Facebook StumbleUpon

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336730,00.html

And you're surprised?

BTW...they're arab brothers...thats the link.

Did you notify the pentagon? I don't think they know that as it did not seem to play any role in their decision making process.

Also, the the "arab" link is true, when are we going to invade Saudi Arabia. It should be pretty easy given that we have our troops in their country with their permission (pretty sneaky of W to be able to pull that off). After S.A. is gone we can move on to Jordan, and Egypt. By the time they are gone, may Iran will realize we are serious.

Te fact that they are "Arab brothers" is the best you could come up with? Really?

Did you notify the pentagon? I don't think they know that as it did not seem to play any role in their decision making process.

Also, the the "arab" link is true, when are we going to invade Saudi Arabia. It should be pretty easy given that we have our troops in their country with their permission (pretty sneaky of W to be able to pull that off). After S.A. is gone we can move on to Jordan, and Egypt. By the time they are gone, may Iran will realize we are serious.

Te fact that they are "Arab brothers" is the best you could come up with? Really?

No....its just this topic has been hashed and rehashed time and time again....talk about bringing up old

threads..... :lol:

The Pentagon brought it up Apparently they did not think it was old news. Beside, I seem to recall you mentioning Clinton in more than one thread and that is over 7 years old.

The Pentagon brought it up Apparently they did not think it was old news. Beside, I seem to recall you mentioning Clinton in more than one thread and that is over 7 years old.

Bill's in the news daily Katze.....

You just got Clinton wood......funny he was mentioned on CBS evening news

tonite for his sexual proclivities...DUH...ala Elliot..... :lol:

You draw up articles of impeachment yet???? :lol:

EXACTLY! Who attacked us this time around?

For those of you who spent time in the military,

believe in our military and support the men and women of our military, read on.............

John Glenn (DEMOCRAT) said this ----- Perhaps It will make you think a little:

There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq in January.

In the fair city of Detroit there were 35 murders in the
month of January.

That's just one American city, about as deadly as the entire war-torn country of Iraq

When some claim that President Bush shouldn't
have started this war, state the following:

FDR (DEMOCRAT) led us into World War II.

Germany never attacked us ;

Japan did.

From 1941-1945, 450,000 lives were lost ...
an average of 112,500 per year.

Truman (DEMOCRAT) finished that war and started one in Korea

North Korea never attacked us.

From 1950-1953, 55,000 lives were lost ...
an average of 18,334 per year.

John F. Kennedy (DEMOCRAT) started the Vietnam conflict in 1962.
Vietnam never attacked us.

Johnson (DEMOCRAT) turned Vietnam into a quagmire.

From 1965-1975, 58,000 lives were lost .

an average of 5,800 per year.

Clinton (DEMOCRAT) went to war in Bosnia without UN or French consent.

Bosnia never attacked us. He was offered Osama bin Laden's head on a platter three
times by Sudan and did nothing. Osama has attacked us on multiple occasions.

In the years since terrorists attacked us , President Bush
has liberated two countries, crushed the Taliban, crippled al-Qaida,

put nuclear inspectors in Libya , Iran , and, North Korea without firing a shot,

and captured a terrorist who slaughtered 300,000 of his own people.

And the Democrats are complaining
about how long the war is taking.

But Wait, There's more

It took less time to take Iraq than it took Janet Reno

(DEMOCRAT) to take the Branch Davidian compound.

That was a 51-day operation..

We've been looking for evidence for chemical weapons
in Iraq for less time than it took Hillary Clinton

(DEMOCRAT) to find the Rose Law Firm billing records.

It took less time for the 3rd Infantry Division and the
Marines to destroy the Medina Republican Guard than it took

Ted Kennedy to call the police after his Oldsmobile sank at Chappaquiddick.

It took less time to take Iraq than it took to count the votes in Florida !!!

Our Commander-In-Chief is doing a GREAT JOB !
The Military morale is high!

The biased media hopes we are too ignorant
to realize the facts

But Wait

There's more!

JOHN GLENN (on the Senate floor - January 26, 2004)

Some people still don't understand why military personnel
do what they do for a living. This exchange between
Senators John Glenn and Senator Howard Metzenbaum
is worth reading. Not only is it a pretty impressive
impromptu speech, but it's also a good example of one
man's explanation of why men and women in the armed
services do what they do for a living.

This IS a typical, though sad, example of what some who

have never served think of the military.

Senator Metzenbaum (speaking to Senator Glenn):
'How can you run for Senate when you've never held a real job?'

Senator Glenn (D-Ohio):
I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps.

I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions.

My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different occasions.

I was in the space program.

It wasn't my checkbook, Howard; it was my life on the line.

It was not a nine-to-five job, where I took time off to take

the daily cash receipts to the bank.'

'I ask you to go with me .. . as I went the other day...

to a veteran's hospital and look at those men ...

with their mangled bodies .

in the eye, and tell THEM they didn't hold a job!

You go with me to the Space Program at NASA and go,

as I have gone, to the widows and Orphans of Ed White,

Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee...

and you look those kids in the eye and tell them that their DAD'S didn't hold a job.

You go with me on Memorial Day and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery,

where I have more friends buried than I'd like to remember,

and you watch those waving flags.
You stand there, and you think about this nation,

and you have the gall to tell ME that those people didn't have a job?

What about Metzenbaum?'
For those who don't remember....

During W.W.II, Howard Metzenbaum was an attorney

representing the Communist Party in the USA

Now he's a Senator!

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran.

For those of you who spent time in the military,

Delldude,

Usually you come up with much better, and more creative, answers. This wasn't even an attempt at an answer.

Atleast come up with something that involves the current situation, rather than past conflicts.

Because the Chinese and Taiwan were our allies and it was Japan who attacked us.....KC....I'm surprised..
But....Reagan made Iraq our ally...and it WASN'T Iraq that attacked us. Most of the attackers were Saudi's and were funded by Saudis...yet somehow THEY are our allies and Iraq is our enemy. So...if terrorists and Iraq are "Arab brothers", then why didn't we attack Asian brothers in WW2?

Also, reread your history a bit closer. While it is true that Japan attacked us and we eventually went to war in Europe, how long did the Europeans BEG us to assist in fighting Hitler before we FINALLY went in? We were trying to stay out of Europe. How many Arab states or Iraqi people were BEGGING us to intervene in Iraq?

Dell,

Are you seriously trying to compare WWII with Iraq? As KC and a few other have pointed out, Japan attacked the US. Japan and Germany were Allies so declaring war on Japan was the same as declaring war on Germany.

By the time the US entered the war Germany had already captured The Sudetenland, the rest of Czech, Poland, Denmark, Norway, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Holland. They had opened fronts with both Britain and the USSR.

Iraq had ...... um ... what did Iraq do again... OH yea. They invaded Kuwait and were kicked out bu Bush I.

I can see how you would confuse the two conflicts. They are so similar in scale and destruction.

Now the Vietnam comparison I can work with. The potential for success and loss of life are both quite similar. Should Al Qeda who was not in Iraq prior to our invasion (but was let in by the US after Hussein was toppled) get a hold of a dirty weapon it could get really interesting. Viet Nam was a 10+ year cluster phuck with tragic loss of life and massive division here in the US. Iraq will more than likely be a 10+ year cluster phuck with tragic loss of life and massive division here in the US.

And lest we for get. There is the small matter of the nearly $1,000,000,000,000.00 already wasted in that failed endeavor. Mean while out in the mountains of Afghanistan OBL is still at large doing as he pleases. As I recall, he is the one behind the September 11, 2001 attack right? Yet Bush has stopped going after him. Bush is not even making an attempt anymore to catch the SOB that attacked the US. WHat part of this makes any sense to anyone?

Like I really give a crap anymore on a subject you Lib's already beat into the ground ten friggin' feet....get over it already.....we got sleaze Quiff in the Big Apple already.

You guys check out the Beaver?

Like I really give a crap anymore on a subject you Lib's already beat into the ground ten friggin' feet....get over it already.....we got sleaze Quiff in the Big Apple already.

You guys check out the Beaver?

It's obvious you don't care, that is why you post false internet garbage attributed to John Glenn and pass it off as truth.

Source

From Snopes:

Update: In 2005, someone prefaced the John Glenn/Howard Metzenbaum article with the following item about Iraq. This addendum has nothing to do with John Glenn — it's an anonymous piece that has been floating around the Internet since 2004, but because it has been tacked onto an article about Glenn, readers have been misled into thinking that it is a transcription of something he said: