Open Skies

U

UAL_TECH

Open-skies deals to give travelers more options

"On international routes, increased competition also equates into better service," Trippler said. "And should there be a deal with China, get out of the way. The service level to Asia will skyrocket. ... You'll see more Singapore Airlines, more Cathay Pacific Airways, more British Airways, and they will put pressure on the U.S. airlines to do better."
Harteveldt sees it much the same way. "U.S. airlines are going to have to examine their in-flight experience," he said. Without an upgrade, "They will lose people."
United Airlines said it's fine with the prospect of stepped-up competition and has growth plans of its own.
"Open skies represent a lot of opportunities," said Michael Whitaker, the Chicago carrier's senior vice president for alliances, international and regulatory affairs. "We can serve whatever cities we want, when we want, with whatever equipment we want. It changes the equation by taking the government out of the decision-making process."

B) UT

Yeah, AMR is doing the same "whistling through the graveyard" about all the "opportunities" afforded by Open Skies. If there were a way to make money with some of the opportunities we would already have taken advantage of them.

I have a feeling that all of us "majors" are going to be cutting amenities left and right on International flights just to stay in the game.

Yeah, AMR is doing the same "whistling through the graveyard" about all the "opportunities" afforded by Open Skies. If there were a way to make money with some of the opportunities we would already have taken advantage of them.

I have a feeling that all of us "majors" are going to be cutting amenities left and right on International flights just to stay in the game.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with you Jim, to a point.

(Though not International flying) AA is a master at "pushing the envelope" to the VERY edge, where they know where they can get away with it. ........Meaning Transcons, to and from JFK/LAX !!
While AA gets away with flying 757 transcons to LAX/SFO from places like BOS/EWR/IAD(maybe MIA?), if they tried to "pull that crap" on the folks from Long "G"ISLAND/Greenwich CT/Westchester county, there would be a REVOLT, to end ALL revolts !

NH/BB's

Bears, as long as it is priced accordingly, I don't think you'd see a revolt. Besides, most of the really rich people in Westchester and Greenwich have fractional ownership in private jets, or use JumpJets, NetJets, etc.... ;)