Outrageous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2004
Red Planet
This is beyond OUTRAGIOUS! Every Union on this property ought to be calling for the IMMEDIATE removal of this management and BOD. For the THIRD time these people have laid the ground work for the downfall of this company. What does it take for people to understand INCOMPETENT?

$750 MILLION dollar profit and we have 18% of fuel hedge. Good GOD, this is pathetic!

Government filings show that most major airlines have left themselves more exposed to high oil prices than they were a year ago.

United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp (NasdaqGS:UAUA - News), had hedged 15 percent of its first-quarter fuel needs as of January 21. That compares with a 33 percent hedge for the year-ago quarter as of January 22, 2006.

Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL - News) has hedged 20 percent of its first quarter fuel needs as of December 31. On the same day the previous year, it was 30 percent hedged for the first quarter.

Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) was 26 percent hedged for the first quarter as of January 22. For the same period a year ago, Delta had hedged 52 percent of its fuel needs as of February 12.

Northwest Airlines (NYSE:NWA - News) had hedged 18 percent of its estimated 2008 jet fuel needs as of February 29. It was 40 percent hedged for 2007 as of February 28, 2007.

Even, Southwest Airlines (NYSE:LUV - News), the industry's leading fuel hedger and also the most consistently profitable U.S. airline, faces eroding protection. As of mid-January, it was about 75 percent hedged for the first quarter, while in the same quarter last year it was nearly 100 percent hedged.

"If prices keep going higher, hedging becomes a harder decision because there's less room to go higher, perhaps," said Beth Harbin, a spokeswoman for Southwest.

While it's easy to point to missed opportunities in hindsight, airlines, like many others, did not expect the recent merciless run-up in oil prices.

"This latest price surge has U.S. airline executives baffled," Joe Schwieterman, transportation expert at DePaul University. "There's no feasible way to fend off the red ink. This is going to give a whole new reason to more aggressively hedge."

RARE EXCEPTION

One exception to lower jet fuel hedges is American Airlines. On January 16, the world's largest carrier said it had hedged 24 percent of its estimated fuel needs for 2008. As of December 31, 2006, the company had hedged was just 14 percent of its anticipated 2007 fuel needs.

American Airlines said it has been rebuilding its fuel hedging program over the past couple years as it recovered from steep losses and typically hedges about 30 percent of its fuel needs.

This is beyond OUTRAGIOUS! Every Union on this property ought to be calling for the IMMEDIATE removal of this management and BOD. For the THIRD time these people have laid the ground work for the downfall of this company. What does it take for people to understand INCOMPETENT?

$750 MILLION dollar profit and we have 18% of fuel hedge. Good GOD, this is pathetic!

Government filings show that most major airlines have left themselves more exposed to high oil prices than they were a year ago.

United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp (NasdaqGS:UAUA - News), had hedged 15 percent of its first-quarter fuel needs as of January 21. That compares with a 33 percent hedge for the year-ago quarter as of January 22, 2006.

Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL - News) has hedged 20 percent of its first quarter fuel needs as of December 31. On the same day the previous year, it was 30 percent hedged for the first quarter.

Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) was 26 percent hedged for the first quarter as of January 22. For the same period a year ago, Delta had hedged 52 percent of its fuel needs as of February 12.

Northwest Airlines (NYSE:NWA - News) had hedged 18 percent of its estimated 2008 jet fuel needs as of February 29. It was 40 percent hedged for 2007 as of February 28, 2007.

Even, Southwest Airlines (NYSE:LUV - News), the industry's leading fuel hedger and also the most consistently profitable U.S. airline, faces eroding protection. As of mid-January, it was about 75 percent hedged for the first quarter, while in the same quarter last year it was nearly 100 percent hedged.

"If prices keep going higher, hedging becomes a harder decision because there's less room to go higher, perhaps," said Beth Harbin, a spokeswoman for Southwest.

While it's easy to point to missed opportunities in hindsight, airlines, like many others, did not expect the recent merciless run-up in oil prices.

"This latest price surge has U.S. airline executives baffled," Joe Schwieterman, transportation expert at DePaul University. "There's no feasible way to fend off the red ink. This is going to give a whole new reason to more aggressively hedge."

RARE EXCEPTION

One exception to lower jet fuel hedges is American Airlines. On January 16, the world's largest carrier said it had hedged 24 percent of its estimated fuel needs for 2008. As of December 31, 2006, the company had hedged was just 14 percent of its anticipated 2007 fuel needs.

American Airlines said it has been rebuilding its fuel hedging program over the past couple years as it recovered from steep losses and typically hedges about 30 percent of its fuel needs.

All I can say is I am glad I am no longer there......... :up:

From the article:

"In 2007, American also had interest expense of over $900 million. Long-term debt is about $9.4 billion." What the article does not mention is that the company has reduced that long term debt from over $20 billion just a short time ago.

And, yes we could go bankrupt. We could also be appointed to run the first commercial shuttles to the Moon or we could be awarded all of Northwest and United's trans-Pacific routes, but let's not start practicing our chopstick technique until it happens. :lol:

All I can say is I am glad I am no longer there......... :up:

"This is beyond OUTRAGIOUS! Every Union on this property ought to be calling for the IMMEDIATE removal of this management and BOD. For the THIRD time these people have laid the ground work for the downfall of this company. What does it take for people to understand INCOMPETENT? "

Really! Isn't that what AMFA did in 2005?
Little late for the outrage isn't it? :down:

RARE EXCEPTION

You had a chance to make a difference and did not make the right decision.
My support to you is as much as what you have given.
Too bad....., soo..... sad :p
Bite me in the Nads.......
B) UT

You had a chance to make a difference and did not make the right decision.
My support to you is as much as what you have given.
Too bad....., soo..... sad :p
Bite me in the Nads.......
B) UT

You don't know WHAT I did, or when I did it. As for your nads (or is that peanuts)...I'll leave that for the squirrels...IF they can find them.

You don't know WHAT I did, or when I did it. As for your nads (or is that peanuts)...I'll leave that for the squirrels...IF they can find them.

More ‘nads’ than you sweetcheeks :p

My ‘angst’ is for the ‘supposedly’ union supporters that does not support unionism (such as yourself and the clones in your following). You all have an inherent choice to decide which union you will support and which picket line you will cross. Your group (is it AFA now?) is no different than any other ‘union’.

I support ‘YOU’ ‘more’ than you have ‘EVER’ supported my Class and Craft (regardless of union affiliation).

Now you ‘all’ blt$h and whine about how you are abused.

GMAFB!

Just shut up and do your job. :shock:
That is what you agreed to do.

B) UT

:shock: :shock: .... "Bite me in the NADS".............."Peanuts"..........."Sweetcheeks" ??? :shock: :shock:

Gentlemen, Gentlemen,................Can't we all just get along ???

(REALLY,..............This is NO TIME for ROMANCE) !! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good people like you two, from Industry Giants, should'nt be "snapping at each other,...save it for easy targets, like DL or WN or LCC :p

My ‘angst’ is for the ‘supposedly’ union supporters that does not support unionism (such as yourself and the clones in your following). You all have an inherent choice to decide which union you will support and which picket line you will cross. Your group (is it AFA now?) is no different than any other ‘union’.

I support ‘YOU’ ‘more’ than you have ‘EVER’ supported my Class and Craft (regardless of union affiliation).

GMAFB!

B) UT

I had my fill of all of my "supporters" (read pilots/flight attendants) walking past me (the one holding the picket sign) to get on their morning flights during our strike. I was in one of the small overnight stations where they thought there would be none of us around. (We were the main targets of the NWA master AMT removal plan) In the beginning they would come up and shake my hand telling me how much they support what I am doing. Later, they would lower their head and use an opposite door to avoid any eye contact. They especailly did not like it when I told them that they were next.

How the chickens have come home to roost.

Outraged??? LMAO!

GMAFB!

B) UT

What the Fu*k did your big mouth do?

Did you stop working? Did you tell Ual you weren't coming to work cause you were going over to walk with NW mechanics? Thought so. There is ALWAYS a few Bit*hes with big mouths walking around with little peanuts in their pants pretending they have done something more than talk AVON with other wannabes. Yeah...you've given "lots of support"...with lip service.
Now shut up and go worry about when Ual is going to shut down SFO shop, then show us what you can do.
You are not even worth discussing what happened and who did what at NWA...YOU DID NOTHING, where NOWHERE around, but you and a few other "pretenders' have lots of MOUTH about it. I'd worry about your own raped backyard before trying to tell others what THEY should or should not have done, cause you SURE were a shinning example of how to bring management to it's knees....NOT!
ALL NW Unions historically have done FAR more than those at Ual in battle with airline management ....PERIOD!

Now for those of us who were at NWA during this time:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-0...wa-unions_x.htm

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/22/news/econo...tions/index.htm

We know exactly how many FA's voted to support AMFA and how many didn't (you can't control the weak chicken legs who think it is ALL about themselves, and were scared to death of a puny little 1,000 replacements)

The only thing I will agree about is the spin-less pilots( SOME, NOT ALL!), and 1/2 of the FAs who were of the weak spinless scared of their shadow sort. I guess with your point of view and MASSIVE support for the NW mechanics, NW FAs sold out to the company with this 50.5 vs. 49.5 vote in favor of this contract. I guess from your point of view it was irrelevant that the bankruptcy court, higher court and all the judges ruled against NW FAs and they STILL fought for a strike.

Yours and the ilk like you are truly pathetic with your general, immature blanket statements on something that was far more complicated than some little pea brains could comprehend.

Why don't you remind us exactly what Ual Unions (particularly YOU) did while in bankruptcy (long before NWA entered the battle) during the "fight"?

MANY NW FAs supported AMFA even with this threat:

"There is no doubt that the other unions will cross the picket lines of flight attendants in the event of a strike, just as they did with the mechanics. In a statement quoted in the New York Times Friday, Duanne Worth, president of the pilots union, said the flight attendants would have to accept Northwest’s terms. “Everyone knows where this has to end up,â€￾ he declared.

The flight attendants union, the AFA, has not indicated what demands it is raising in opposition to Northwest’s terms. The AFA leadership has made it clear that it believes flight attendants are obliged to accept concessions in order to help bail out the airline.

The union’s CHAOS policy is designed to minimize the impact of strike action on Northwest. At the same time, it could make it easier for management to isolate and victimize militant groups of workers"

MANY NW FAs supported AMFA even with this threat:

"There is no doubt that the other unions will cross the picket lines of flight attendants in the event of a strike, just as they did with the mechanics. In a statement quoted in the New York Times Friday, Duanne Worth, president of the pilots union, said the flight attendants would have to accept Northwest’s terms. “Everyone knows where this has to end up,” he declared.

The flight attendants union, the AFA, has not indicated what demands it is raising in opposition to Northwest’s terms. The AFA leadership has made it clear that it believes flight attendants are obliged to accept concessions in order to help bail out the airline.

The union’s CHAOS policy is designed to minimize the impact of strike action on Northwest. At the same time, it could make it easier for management to isolate and victimize militant groups of workers"

Of course that statement coming from Duanne Worthless was expected. The majority of the pilots could not go anywhere else and come close to what they are making at NWA. Flight Attendants are different. Most F/A's are diverse enough to go and find a job with equal pay in another industry. Some are just addicted to airlines (and the abuse). I guess they are codependent.

Of course that statement coming from Duanne Worthless was expected. The majority of the pilots could not go anywhere else and come close to what they are making at NWA. Flight Attendants are different. Most F/A's are diverse enough to go and find a job with equal pay in another industry. Some are just addicted to airlines (and the abuse). I guess they are codependent.

That's odd...I guess one could say the same about airline mechanics who leave one airline and go to another. I guess it is a big leap to be a mechanic on trains, cars, and other machinery. Like you said, I guess they like the abuse. (esp. ones that have tasted it and move to another abusive airline instead of leaving)

FAs are diverse and many could easily find equal or higher paying jobs...but they won't find that schedule flex. or time away. So, I guess your ten cent psych eval. is worth about 10 cents.

That's odd...I guess one could say the same about airline mechanics who leave one airline and go to another. I guess it is a big leap to be a mechanic on trains, cars, and other machinery. Like you said, I guess they like the abuse. (esp. ones that have tasted it and move to another abusive airline instead of leaving)

FAs are diverse and many could easily find equal or higher paying jobs...but they won't find that schedule flex. or time away. So, I guess your ten cent psych eval. is worth about 10 cents.

You are correct. The majority of mechanics I know that were replaced by NWA moved on to careers outside of the airline industry. They will never go back. I am included in that group. We never had a flex schedule, unless you like 6 on 2 off on midnight shift.

The ones that scabbed had no inititiative or had been in some kind of trouble, and could/would not start over.

My point was the Pilots are the one group that would have the hardest time matching that salary away from an airline pilot job.

No it is not a big leap for us (AMT's) to do other things. Many have gone on to the federal/state govt, medical, oil, petrochemical, railroad, utility....

I am no psychologist so if you want my advice any longer, pony up that dime! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back