PHL-DEN R/T Apr-09

RJU19010

Dec 6, 2008
Have been actively monitoring US r/t dep PHL 10a 4/4 ret DEN 130p 4/11. Price has been right at $304 for weeks including yesterday morning with flight still 50% open. At 8p the price jumped to $874, then to $1100+ at 1030p. No seat maps available.

Anyone have a perspective on this just so I understand it a bit better? I do fly 3-4 times a month for biz and 4 times or so a year with family for vacations, but have never encountered this bizarre set of escalations. Did a group perhaps come in and book a big block of seats for spring break? It looks like US also changed the Fri 4/3 flight from 630p to 830p. Arggggghhh. A bit frustrating when trying to get the family of 4 out to DEN.

Thanks.

Have been actively monitoring US r/t dep PHL 10a 4/4 ret DEN 130p 4/11. Price has been right at $304 for weeks including yesterday morning with flight still 50% open. At 8p the price jumped to $874, then to $1100+ at 1030p. No seat maps available.

Anyone have a perspective on this just so I understand it a bit better? I do fly 3-4 times a month for biz and 4 times or so a year with family for vacations, but have never encountered this bizarre set of escalations. Did a group perhaps come in and book a big block of seats for spring break? It looks like US also changed the Fri 4/3 flight from 630p to 830p. Arggggghhh. A bit frustrating when trying to get the family of 4 out to DEN.

Thanks.

No one at the company, not even the beancounters can understand their revenue enhancing management system. I'd say check again in the near future and the prices might drop...besides why take US? You could take cheaper airlines to Philly like AirTran that's more economical for the family!

No one at the company, not even the beancounters can understand their revenue enhancing management system. I'd say check again in the near future and the prices might drop...besides why take US? You could take cheaper airlines to Philly like AirTran that's more economical for the family!

Actually got a very nice explanation from a live ResAgent this AM - seems as if as the day goes on people put reservations on "HOLD" - and then they expire at midnight, again freeing up the cheap seats. You were exactly correct on checking again - early today - back down to $251!

Why take US? Believe it or not in over 8 yrs of pretty active flying I have only had one minor nightmare from the carrier. Granted, I fly mostly directs in and out of PHL, go with carry-on, get my faithful upgrades, bank my miles, and use my Dividend Miles card to even buy shoelaces. Thus, the annual $99 buddy passes make our trip very very economical - with the potential for upgrades from my well-known, friendly gate agents.

Actually got a very nice explanation from a live ResAgent this AM - seems as if as the day goes on people put reservations on "HOLD" - and then they expire at midnight, again freeing up the cheap seats. You were exactly correct on checking again - early today - back down to $251!

Why take US? Believe it or not in over 8 yrs of pretty active flying I have only had one minor nightmare from the carrier. Granted, I fly mostly directs in and out of PHL, go with carry-on, get my faithful upgrades, bank my miles, and use my Dividend Miles card to even buy shoelaces. Thus, the annual $99 buddy passes make our trip very very economical - with the potential for upgrades from my well-known, friendly gate agents.
Also, it's spring break time and lots of people are getting their plans in order to give Christmas presents of a trip skiing. Hey, if you don't want to go to Denver come to Lake Tahoe. We sure could use a boost in the economy.

Back