PHL-PIT 757 Flights in June

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
After hearing so many PIT-PHL how abysmal the LCC service is, I was surprised to see that they've added a PHL-PIT-PHL round trip in June on the 757!

Leaves PHL at 15:34, comes back out of PIT at 17:35.

Won't help the senior mammas get to their transatlantic trips (maybe LHR,) but it will certainly help the first-wave transatlantic arrivers get home.

And unfortunately for commuters it will almost be awash come 8/16 when WN again reduces their PIT-PHL schedule by another daily flight (4 flights, down from a high of 7)

Wouldn't such a short haul flight put alot of wear and tear and shorten the lifespan on a 757? I always thought those were designed/engineered for longer flights.

Wouldn't such a short haul flight put alot of wear and tear and shorten the lifespan on a 757? I always thought those were designed/engineered for longer flights.
There used to be alot more shorthaul flights besides that from PIT... PIT-DCA, BWI, BOS, LGA, PHL (and alot more than once/day between PIT and PHL). I think now they're lucky if they get the 190 between PIT and PHL, CLT, LGA, DCA

Not really. An airplane maintained to Part 121 standards can remain operational for far longer than most airlines would be willing to fly it.

Besides, one of the 757s which LCC returned to its lessor recently ended up as scrap aluminum. It flew to the chopper site.

US Airways is returning it's 757's, except those that are ETOPS and used for Europe. So I guess they are getting the cycles out of them while they can. The 757's were really built for any type of operation, be it, short, medium, or medium/long haul. Excellent plane and US just asked boeing for a replacement for it since they are sending them to the desert little by little. It is one of the best and most flexable planes in the sky and to think it runs on 1970's tech!

The problem is - there will days when the flight if full and then people will be complaining about US selling all the seats and trying to make money.

I recall when there were no fewer than 11 flights per day between PHL and PIT, many on 757's and even 767s.

Can anyone shed light on the reasoning for this pairing?

From what I gather it was a very smart move on the part of schedule planning. It is an ETOPS 757 that arrives from Europe on the first bank and goes back out to Europe about 6 hour later. Rather than have it just sit on a gate or pad in PHL for around 6 hours why not have it do a PIT round-trip.

Personally I think it was a brilliant move. I predict it will often be full or at least very heavy both ways and perhaps in the future their will be more capacity added (larger aircraft) in this important city pair.

My two cents

LGA777

I propose this is US's response to the new DL PIT-CDG flight.

1607 (757 - International Conf.) Departs PIT 5:35P Arrives PHL 6:54P

702 (333) Departs PHL 8:20P Arrives FRA 10:15A

It has been frequently mentioned in various Pittsburgh media that FRA (* Hub) is the preferred European destination for both Pittsburgh business and tourist travelers. Now if Tempe can start a (credible) media blitz that this is a 100% internationally configured, seamless flight pair to Europe, it just might work. Unfortunately, PIT authorities may view this move as a potential threat to the viability of the DL offering, resulting in costs to the region in Offsets - per the PIT-DL revenue guarantee. Overall, I think this is an excellent move which if managed/sold properly could be one of those rare (or maybe new wave) strategies that may actually be perceived as a "Class" act.

From what I gather it was a very smart move on the part of schedule planning. It is an ETOPS 757 that arrives from Europe on the first bank and goes back out to Europe about 6 hour later. Rather than have it just sit on a gate or pad in PHL for around 6 hours why not have it do a PIT round-trip.

Personally I think it was a brilliant move. I predict it will often be full or at least very heavy both ways and perhaps in the future their will be more capacity added (larger aircraft) in this important city pair.

My two cents

LGA777

And it's one less airplane that has to deplane into those stupid "mobile lounges" for the interminable delay getting to immigration.

I propose this is US's response to the new DL PIT-CDG flight.

1607 (757 - International Conf.) Departs PIT 5:35P Arrives PHL 6:54P

702 (333) Departs PHL 8:20P Arrives FRA 10:15A

It has been frequently mentioned in various Pittsburgh media that FRA (* Hub) is the preferred European destination for both Pittsburgh business and tourist travelers. Now if Tempe can start a (credible) media blitz that this is a 100% internationally configured, seamless flight pair to Europe, it just might work. Unfortunately, PIT authorities may view this move as a potential threat to the viability of the DL offering, resulting in costs to the region in Offsets - per the PIT-DL revenue guarantee. Overall, I think this is an excellent move which if managed/sold properly could be one of those rare (or maybe new wave) strategies that may actually be perceived as a "Class" act.

Why would someone do that rather than flying thru Dulles and perhaps actually showing up in FRA on time?

Why would someone do that rather than flying thru Dulles and perhaps actually showing up in FRA on time?
Let's see. All the things I mentioned above, especially the seamless (A-West) connection and the 757 connector aircraft versus a UA puddle jumper. Then there's the $150 round trip fare difference - unless you want a return UA arrival in PIT near midnight. It would help me to understand your remark regarding on-time performance if you could provide a credible reference that shows that UA's IAD-FRA flights have a better annual on-time FRA arrival record than US's PHL-FRA flights? The last reported DOT Domestic stats show that for peak Outbound travel hours (2-8PM), PHL average on time Departures were 79.5% (ALL Airlines) and IAD 80.6% (ALL Airlines). I really doubt that international departure stats are any different - if not better.

Back