Piedmont Jumpseat

phasersonstun2

Veteran
May 1, 2003
Recently there was a mainline pilot requesting jumpseat on Piedmont Airlines and ran into a "buzzsaw" from the flight crew. Cold shoulder. No handshake, but allowed to ride.

Apparently they were angry that mainline US MANAGEMENT engaged in a slot transaction with DAL that has negatively affected them.

Dudes, don't punish the ground troops over what the generals decide.

Recently there was a mainline pilot requesting jumpseat on Piedmont Airlines and ran into a "buzzsaw" from the flight crew. Cold shoulder. No handshake, but allowed to ride.

Apparently they were angry that mainline US MANAGEMENT engaged in a slot transaction with DAL that has negatively affected them.

Dudes, don't punish the ground troops over what the generals decide.

Sounds just like how I was treated by US Air pilots when I used to jumpseat on them.

DH-8 100 very very very very rarely takes an actual jumpseat unless it’s for check ride

Actually most of them are unhappy with how the East pilots have routinely screwed them over the years. Flow through, Q400s, etc... If it has anything to do with the LGA situation I would be surprised.

I don't work for Piedmont or USAirways...but I can say that I have found only two types of pilots in my dealings with the flight deck....those that are really cool (like Nick from Chautaqua) and the jerks. There seems to be very little middle ground inbetween.

I am not sure why this is. Pilots are like any other cross section of life, you'd think there'd be middle ground. But for some reason, there doesn't seem to be...at least with the flight crews I've dealt with.

When I used to work in the express package shipment business, customers would always be shocked at how friendly the DHL/UPS/FedEx/FedEx Ground drivers were with each other. They called us the enemy, the competition. Let's face it. Their company is the competition, but we gruts behind the wheel...we're just trying to earn a living.

That same thing can be said about pilots. Who cares what airline you work for, you are all there to get an aluminum tube loaded with bodies from one part of terra firma to another part as safely, quickly and effiently as possible. Let the managers fight the battles and have the eogs. Its the grunts on the front line that have to work together and see each other in passings in the concourses of every airport. Respect each other for being your equal, don't treat them like crap just because their wings have a different company logo on them. We little people are all in this together. Its management that is our common "enemy" if you want to call them that.

As I recall, Piedmont Airlines was dismantled in Aug 89, so this poor guy got the cold sholder from good ole hinson. blink: . Remember the saying, "get Dick Hinson before Hinson D++ks you."