Pilot license w/ sinus issue?

MissyR

May 4, 2010
Hi, everyone--

Recently I've been thinking about training (in a Cessna 152) for my Private Pilot's License. I'm in great shape, and the only thing that gives me pause is that in the past, while flying on commercial airlines, during descent I have experienced fairly severe sharp sinus pain in my lower forehead and around my eyes. (My Internet research refers to it as 'sinus block'.) Although it only happens occasionally (on max. 10% of flights), it really is quite painful. It's never disabling, but it hurts enough that it could be tough to concentrate on navigating/preparing to land/etc. So my questions are these:

(1) Given the much lower altitudes that I'd be flying at (albeit unpressurized), is this a valid worry? Or is it simply low enough that General Aviation folk don't have this problem? And

(2) Would this history prevent me from getting my license? I intend to be totally honest with my medical examiner, so if it's a non-starter I won't pursue the license.

Thanks,

Missy.

(1) Given the much lower altitudes that I'd be flying at (albeit unpressurized), is this a valid worry? Or is it simply low enough that General Aviation folk don't have this problem? And

(2) Would this history prevent me from getting my license? I intend to be totally honest with my medical examiner, so if it's a non-starter I won't pursue the license.

Take an introductory flight for forty bucks and see how you feel at 8,500 feet, then descend at 1,200 feet per minute to an altitude of 1000 ft. If that doesn't bother you I wouldn't be worried about it.

Have you tried chewing gum or trying to control your ears popping by yawning. This sinus issue is common, and it happens all of the time while underwater (SCUBA Diving). The effect of your sinuses at altitude can be very similar.

Back