Possible Option for Financing Piedmont Q400s

Funny huh? Piedmont a US owned express carrier cannot operate the Q-400 while Republic can operate the 170/175 and Mesa the crj-900. Brilliant! ! :rolleyes:

Piedmont can't fly the Q400 for US
I don't "think" Piedmont is prohibited from flying the Q400. I "believe" they're limited to the number of seats available on the aircraft. I seem to recall in previous posts that number was 68???

I don't "think" Piedmont is prohibited from flying the Q400. I "believe" they're limited to the number of seats available on the aircraft. I seem to recall in previous posts that number was 68???

I believe that the Q400 is prohibited. I think the seat limit of 69 seats is based on the aircraft certification. The Q400 is certified for more than 69 seats so it is prohibited even if seats are removed. I am the first one to agree that PDT needs new aircraft and they should get the Q400. It would help them and the company.

But the scope language is clear. The limit is 69 seats. There was massive scope relief given by ALPA to the company to exceed the scope restriction for RJ's. The Q400 is a turbo-prop and thus doesn't fit into the scope relief language... If the company really wants relief, what are they gonna give us for the scope relief? Have they even indicated they could be interested?

So let me get this straight, the pilot group allows Republic and Mesa to fly E170-175's and CRJ-900's with seats over 69 but don't allow Piedmont a USairways owned carrier to fly them? It's scope language like that that makes others just shake their heads. :rolleyes: WOW! ! ! :blink:

So let me get this straight, the pilot group allows Republic and Mesa to fly E170-175's and CRJ-900's with seats over 69 but don't allow Piedmont a USairways owned carrier to fly them? It's scope language like that that makes others just shake their heads. :rolleyes: WOW! ! ! :blink:

LOL...Right.. It's just one of the many "protections" that the pilot contract offers other work groups. Now I understand why the FA's are so hesitant to split from them! :lol:

I don't know the intricacies of how and why but not allowing Q400's to Piedmont seems insane at best. Your contract allows a contract carrier to fly aircraft over 69 seats but you won't allow Piedmont your brothers/sisters of the Usairways family? This is ridiculous on sooooooo many levels. :rolleyes: Smart deal.....real smart. :lol:

I don't know the intricacies of how and why but not allowing Q400's to Piedmont seems insane at best. Your contract allows a contract carrier to fly aircraft over 69 seats but you won't allow Piedmont your brothers/sisters of the Usairways family? This is ridiculous on sooooooo many levels. :rolleyes: Smart deal.....real smart. :lol:
The way I see it, US can reduce flying only at the wholly owned carriers, since the contract carriers are under strict contracts, correct? I wouldn't be surprised if Piedmont is significantly downsized, since the Dash 8's don't sound like they have a huge future in the new , larger DCA operation.

The way I see it, US can reduce flying only at the wholly owned carriers, since the contract carriers are under strict contracts, correct? I wouldn't be surprised if Piedmont is significantly downsized, since the Dash 8's don't sound like they have a huge future in the new , larger DCA operation.
A couple of interesting articles that appear in Air Transport World's Daily News today about both the DCA/LGA Slot Swap and the affect upon Piedmont Airlines. The first article is nothing more than what has already been discussed on this US Airways Message Board, but the second article is interesting to read as it discusses how Piedmont stands to lose the most in the slot swap.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=17533

http://www.atwonline.com/news/other.html?i...e=8%2F13%2F2009

I believe the second article is a little misleading. Do I understand correctly that US Airways will eliminate all Express operations at LGA which include operations flown by all Express affiliates; and not just exclusively Piedmont? This is kinda what the second article from ATW claims. And does/did Piedmont provide all the Express ground serviceing at LGA. If that's the case I can understand the elimination of 300 Piedmont positions.

I agree that Piedmont is not going to play a big role in the swap at DCA and Piedmont has returned a number of dash-8s back to their lessor (I think another 6 dash-8s go back before the end of 2009). However, I'd expect (and hope for self fish reasons) that Piedmont will continue to play a significant role at PHL and CLT.

I live about a mile from SBY and it pains me to hear the drone of a turboprop passing overhead and look into the sky and see a very long fuseluge Q400 tracking the SBY VORTAC and knowing its a Continental Connection Q400 flying between EWR and ORF.

What does this all mean with Republic. Didn't they get a bunch of LGA slots? I wanna understand how this plays out. If LGA will be mainline by majority?

I would love to see Piedmont operate these as well as some of the RJ's being flown by the contract carriers. I know many of their crews from the former ALG days, and would prefer to fly with them over any of the Kids flying for the contract carriers.

Back