Premium Economy coming to Delta's A350s in 2017

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Late last year, AA announced that premium economy would debut on its 787-9s in late 2016; last week, rumours were rampant that Delta would do the same thing with its A350s in the summer of 2017. After the debut, it will be installed on other long-haul international aircraft.

Delta has confirmed the rumours:

https://skift.com/2016/05/02/delta-air-lines-premium-economy/

No word yet from UA, but I'd bet they're working on it.

This has been in the works for a long time. 

777s will also get a cabin refresh. (Y+ and a new J seat) 

Reactions: 2 people
jimntx said:
That's not what he said.

But it is true. Delta has long been out of the F class game and United is also dipping out. (and American is going to be down from almost 50 aircraft with F to 20(?) aircraft with F) This is really a world wide trend. 

J is quickly becoming the new F and Y+ is quickly becoming what use to be J. 
NewHampshire Black Bears said:

You MEAN,  NO  DL  First Class Suites ?  How  apropos  !
yes just like American won't have F on its 787, 772s and 359s, Delta (and United) also won't have F on those aircraft. 

again, do you ever have a single clue what in the hell you are talking about or no? 

United revealed a whole new section for flights over 12 hours called Polaris.  Question is  how long before other airlines follow suit   I realize its early and for UAL it doesnt start til this summer but this sounds like it could be a changer

robbedagain said:
United revealed a whole new section for flights over 12 hours called Polaris.  Question is  how long before other airlines follow suit   I realize its early and for UAL it doesnt start til this summer but this sounds like it could be a changer
Polaris is just a new brand name for custom-designed lie-flat business class suites and the soft product, just like US called it "Envoy."

Funny part is, UA is contracting with Zodiac, the firm that couldn't meet the production requirements in its contract with AA to build the new business class seats for the 777s and 787s. Hope UA has better luck than AA with them.

Other airlines won't follow suit, as DL has completed lie-flat all-aisle business class seats and AA has a plan (this time with Weber for the Super Diamond seat).

Reactions: 1 person
robbedagain said:
Polaris is just the new name for their Business class. Like DeltaOne on Delta. 

FWAAA said:
Polaris is just a new brand name for custom-designed lie-flat business class suites and the soft product, just like US called it "Envoy."

Funny part is, UA is contracting with Zodiac, the firm that couldn't meet the production requirements in its contract with AA to build the new business class seats for the 777s and 787s. Hope UA has better luck than AA with them.

Other airlines won't follow suit, as DL has completed lie-flat all-aisle business class seats and AA has a plan (this time with Weber for the Super Diamond seat).

It sounds like Delta will be rolling out a new J seat starting on the A350 and 777 then rolling down to the 330 fleet. 767s will probably not see a new seat but the 764 fleet should be getting a major re-fresh.  
I personally hope its the Super Diamond but I also like the current 330 seats. I'd have no problem if Delta used this seat on the 350/777 honestly. 

Delta just needs to get away from the hospital look. I like the new seat covers but the seat shells are just white plastic basically. 

Too late to edit: meant to say B/E Super Diamond (not Weber - Weber was bought by Zodiac).