Psa To Be Sold?

Does USair still require a mechanic to push back? does southwest? I actually don't even know if this was true, but someone told me the other day.

Just an aside, at my station, WN's ramp has had as much as 25% of their ramp out on OJI recently.

Also, at the IAM meetings, they are usually the most quiet (rarely do they have any issues to discuss), which says a lot about the theory of happy employees being productive ones.

Mechanics at US do pushbacks at CLT, PIT, PHL, DCA, LGA. For example in CLT they are 8 mechanics for 16 gates, if they are performing mtc, the ramp pushes the plane.

And Southwest's ramp are not IAM, they are TWU.

You are correct that LUV rampers make more than their U counterparts. However that is half the story. LUV has just about 30% less ground employees than U because they are cross-utilized. No cleaners, mechanics working on broken planes instead of pushing aircraft, and they aren't afraid to go help over at the next gate.

Problem with U is simple. The old way will not work in the future. It is either change or ..... IMO the only answer is to be able to work smarter, cheaper, and harder. U is in the biggest hole in the business. It will take sacrifice, hard work, some thinking outside the box, and employees who will have to look to the future instead of next year. I know the sacrifice has been large already, but the restructure isn't done until U makes some money.

Forget what other airlines have. They are not in the situation that U is. Sure U's management sucks. But they are going nowhere. And if U fails, the employees will be left holding the bag, and the management will go on to their next company to keep on making lots of $$$$.

Wake up while there is still time.

Boomer

Southwest's F/As are willing to strike because they dont get paid to clean planes and Southwest does not have PART TIME and Southwest does have cleaners at certain stations.

Plus Southwest does not have banks of flights, like the legacy carriers do, so when you have 40 planes on the ground at the same time you will need more bodies to work them, plus Southwest does not interline bags as the legacy carriers do.

You have to compare Apples to Apples not Apples to Oranges.

http://www.iflyswa.com/careers/mxairclean.html

Southwest Airlines Maintenance Department
Aircraft Appearance Technicians

Job Position: Aircraft Appearance Technicians

Job Functions:

The position requires cleaning of interior and exterior of an aircraft, company vehicles and facilities, as required to maintain a clean and healthy aircraft to keep our passengers returning for travel on Southwest Airlines.
Cleaning interior of aircraft, including galleys and lavatories.
Wash or wax aircraft exterior, including landing gears, etc.
Replacement of aircraft carpet and seat covers (backs and bottoms).
Servicing of aircraft lavatories.
Driving tugs, fork lifts, and passenger vehicles.
Exposed to fumes from chemicals, noise from aircraft engines and APUs, and danger around aircraft standing and lifting containers up to 50 pounds.

700UW--

"And Southwest's ramp are not IAM, they are TWU"

If this was a reference to my post about them being "quiet" at meetings, I was speaking about the agents, not the ramp sorry if I was unclear. FWIW, WN's ramp makes more than NW's ramp as well.
"

What is this information of an IPO of PSA Airlines? Explain and is this from a Valid source? How will this help them? Have my ideas just like to hear from others

If PSA has an IPO, I would hope the company offers the employees stock. I know the poor ramp employees at PIT who have been waiting for a decent contract offer might consider an offer of stock as a nice carrot, let alone an olive branch from PSA's executives.

Of course, they have been working like ants pretty much since the beginning, so even a free cup of coffee and a smoke might help.

The new Allegheny County executive, Dan Onarato, appears to be willing to work with US to a point in PIT, but he isn't putting his eggs all in one basket. At least, not on the surface. US has to stay to help Southwestern Pennsylvania survive, and SWPA needs to keep US there to guarantee some sort of employment for all of those workers who pay taxes and would otherwise leave or go on unemployment. What's my point? I'll distill it to this:

Some sort of PIT cost has to be reduced to keep US, and US has to guarantee that they are staying in PIT for an extended period. The person who succeeds in making that happen will probably win some sort of Nobel Prize.

73 to you all!

Back