Question about Ready Reserve

B767FAN

Dec 10, 2008
Hi everyone, new here. I was thinking about applying for DL, and they have a few openings, like for example Customer Service Agent: Ticketing/Gate (Ready Reserve) TPA.

Can anyone explain what does Ready Reserve mean?

Thank you in advance.

Ready reserve positions are somewhat akin to "casual" employees in other industries.

* Some cities you're on call, others you may have a set schedule.

* Max of 999 hours worked annually

*Minimum of 300 hours worked. If you work less than that, your position is eliminated.

*No insurance, medical, vacation leave, sick leave, or pension/retirement.

* Some flight benefits, but different from "regular" employees.

*Flight Benefits (I found this on another site):
Eligible for 30 flight days without service charge at S3 boarding priority, of which 18 flight days may
be used on the transoceanic system
• Eligible for unlimited S3 yield fare travel after 30 flight days are exhausted
• Eligible for S1A emergency travel
• Eligible for S2B Honor Roll passes
• Eligible for Family & Friends Program
• Eligible for Family Fares Program
• Annual pass activation fee of $50 required
• Ineligible for S2 flight days
• Ineligible for travel on other airlines or interline reduced-rate (ID75, ID90, etc.) tickets
Also companion benefits and parents

Thank you Kev, I appreciate the help. :)

And then from the Ready Reserve you can jump to part-time? or how does it work?

I honestly don't know how it works specifically. I'm from the NW side, and we don't have anything equivalent to this.

What I have been told by people I know at DL, is that it is very difficult to go from Ready Reserve to a regular position.

I've heard the same thing.

It is very hard and very unlikely that anyone from the Ready Reserve program gets promoted to the DL mainline system. All I know (from my nephew) that sometimes (if you're lucky) that you will have a set schedule and set hours. But basically, you are a "on-call" employee when needed. (at my airline, it is called "vacation relief" or "outage relief"), where you are replacing someone that is not available to work. That is a regular bid line with a set amount of days (part & full time)

Personally, I do not understand the logic (otherwise "saving" money) of doing this when you can have a part-time employee doing the same work. In this line of work, some people like working part-time. If you are going to stick it out with DL, I think it should be a 6 month probationary period, and then promote you full-time into the DL system with full benefits and other stuff.

Can someone tell me how the "Ready Reserve" program came about?
Also, why did DL start Delta Global in the first place?
I can see some logic in that if they are trying to get ground contracts OUTSIDE the Delta system, but having it's own company bidding for work inside the DL system makes no sense to me at all. With the NW stations coming into play, I think that it should be more work for more people either part-time or full time. I don't know what the IAM contract states on part-time workers, but I do know that the TWU contract treats part-time workers differently. I think that BOTH part-time and full-time should be treated the same with all benefits (except a different percentage of dues paid - according to how much is being made.) But I digress..

Sorry about going off tangent.
Good luck in your job with DL. I hope that you will make mainline if you want it.

I've heard the same thing.

It is very hard and very unlikely that anyone from the Ready Reserve program gets promoted to the DL mainline system. All I know (from my nephew) that sometimes (if you're lucky) that you will have a set schedule and set hours. But basically, you are a "on-call" employee when needed. (at my airline, it is called "vacation relief" or "outage relief"), where you are replacing someone that is not available to work. That is a regular bid line with a set amount of days (part & full time)

NW has Vacation relief, and what is called Ready relief as well. The big difference is that these are both "regular" positions, that offer the same benefits that everyone else has. The lines themselves tend to go junior for obvious reasons, but still...

Also, why did DL start Delta Global in the first place?

The short answer is $$$. They can get out of paying M/L wages, while still having some oversight on the work done.

I can see some logic in that if they are trying to get ground contracts OUTSIDE the Delta system, but having it's own company bidding for work inside the DL system makes no sense to me at all.

Me either. It runs counter to everything DL employees try and tell us about DL taking care of it's people.

With the NW stations coming into play, I think that it should be more work for more people either part-time or full time.

Absolutely. This is especially true in cities that are currently outsourced on the NW side.

I don't know what the IAM contract states on part-time workers, but I do know that the TWU contract treats part-time workers differently.

For specifics, they can have a max of 25% in the hubs and 50% in line stations. The pay scale is the same, though it takes longer to progress through it. There are some variances on vacation accrual and pay on holidays (if they fall on your scheduled day off), and the premiums for insurance are high for the first year. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

I think that BOTH part-time and full-time should be treated the same with all benefits (except a different percentage of dues paid - according to how much is being made.) But I digress..

Me too, though most locals have a dispensation rate based on your hourly wage. Everyone goes 2% of gross wages starting in 2010, which I think is much more fair than the current set up, but that's also for another thread.

Latest posts

Back