Republicans to United: Screw You!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 12:04:47 AM enilria wrote:

It's funny that the Republicans are always taking flak for "being in the pocket of big business" and yet somebody is actually claiming they intentionally denied a federal bailout of a company with questionable finances.

I think Ch11 is a much better place for them. As an employee of a rival airline, I don't want my tax dollars propping up a competitor.
----------------
[/blockquote]
As an employee of ANY airline, even the ones less likely to file bankruptcy AT THIS TIME, you should be VERY concerned about the plight of UAL. This will be a drag on the industry for years, and will likely precipitate others into a similar fate as prices are held artificially low by the troubled carriers which have protection from their creditors. This is a TERRIBLE development, even for those of us not employed at UAL. I do admit that this situation was forceable for at least the last month, with the unrealistic demands od UAL's labor groups in the face of such poor economic conditions. I bet that most employees at UAL are STILL in serious denial at what is occurring. For UAL to make it, their cuts will likely be far deeper than those required at U, simply because U has access to the low cost government guaranteed loan and presently UAL does not. If they (UAL) are to have ANY chance at all, they have got to make the hard cuts necessary to get the loan guarantee, since NO company that can offer financing in their right mind wants ANYTHING to do with airlines right now. Without the guarantee any sort of financing will involve outrageous rates and conditions, just due to the risk involved.
These developments have the potential to drive ALL AIRLINE WAGES AND WORKING CONDITIONS right into the toilet, at least as far as the full service, hub and spoke carriers are concerned. These are very trying days, and it looks like worse may be to come. Good luck to all!

Several of the UA employees who were murdered in cold blood on 9/11 have spouses and relatives also employed at UA. I wonder how those families feel about the US government coldly turning it's back on them after the losses they have suffered.

Several of the UA employees who were murdered in cold blood on 9/11 have spouses and relatives also employed at UA. I wonder how those families feel about the US government coldly turning it's back on them after the losses they have suffered.

2 years ago Bush wouldnt let anyone strike because of the effect to the economy. But I guess now its ok to let these companies go down the tubes.

2 years ago Bush wouldnt let anyone strike because of the effect to the economy. But I guess now its ok to let these companies go down the tubes.

DB, get UAL mgmt to come up with a viable bizplan, and UAL will get the loan.

The bizplan wouldn't have received a passing grade from one of those schools listed on a matchbook cover.

A relative of mine works on the Hill. Word is that UAL management was given every opportunity to present a viable plan, but said they were unable to get the required cost savings from labor. She thought UAL mgmt saw Ch 11 as the only way to get the cost equation under control.

Quit blaming anyone but UAL mgmt and UAL labor for UAL's problems. We don't expect to live our lives off credit cards, ignoring the due dates and unable to make payments. Ch 11 is not the end of the world for UAL employees if they rise to the challenge.

It wasn't two years ago.

UAL is not going down the tubes.

UAL will restructure, which will probably force AA to do the same.

It wasn't two years ago.

UAL is not going down the tubes.

UAL will restructure, which will probably force AA to do the same.

I am shocked that the government will not help
stabilize the industry ....rather than sit by and
see it destroyed.

After all, they are now controlling security....
had this been in effect prior to 911...all the airlines
would not be in as much trouble as they are now.Of course the economy is not helping either.

I think de regulation has not helped the public nor
the employees of the airline companies.

If we all become WN or Jet Blue, then the govt would
have to subsidize some small town service....

I'm very very disappointed in the ATSB so far.

Secondly, I see bankruptcy as a convenient way for
UA to steal their stock shares back from employees.

I am shocked that the government will not help
stabilize the industry ....rather than sit by and
see it destroyed.

After all, they are now controlling security....
had this been in effect prior to 911...all the airlines
would not be in as much trouble as they are now.Of course the economy is not helping either.

I think de regulation has not helped the public nor
the employees of the airline companies.

If we all become WN or Jet Blue, then the govt would
have to subsidize some small town service....

I'm very very disappointed in the ATSB so far.

Secondly, I see bankruptcy as a convenient way for
UA to steal their stock shares back from employees.

Olivia,

"I think de regulation has not helped the public..."

Of course it has. What do you mean?

"If we all become WN or Jet Blue, then the govt would
have to subsidize some small town service...."

It already does.

"I'm very very disappointed in the ATSB so far."

So is anyone who wants gov't handouts.

"Secondly, I see bankruptcy as a convenient way for
UA to steal their stock shares back from employees."

You're not very bright.

Olivia,

Of course it has. What do you mean?

"If we all become WN or Jet Blue, then the govt would
have to subsidize some small town service...."

It already does.

"I'm very very disappointed in the ATSB so far."

So is anyone who wants gov't handouts.

"Secondly, I see bankruptcy as a convenient way for
UA to steal their stock shares back from employees."

You're not very bright.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/7/2002 2:29:49 AM Rhino wrote:

Olivia;

Rhino; Of course it has. What do you mean?

Oh really? How has it? During the Regulated era Airfares continually declined and flying become more affordable. This trend predated deregulation. While some travellers benifit others pay more for basically the same seat. So the vacation traveller who can plan ahead may have benifited, slightly but last minute travellers who may have to travel due to an emergency pay a premium. Average airfares had, in adjusted dollars , declined more during the regulated era than they have during the deregulated era.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/7/2002 2:29:49 AM Rhino wrote:

Olivia;

Rhino; Of course it has. What do you mean?

Oh really? How has it? During the Regulated era Airfares continually declined and flying become more affordable. This trend predated deregulation. While some travellers benifit others pay more for basically the same seat. So the vacation traveller who can plan ahead may have benifited, slightly but last minute travellers who may have to travel due to an emergency pay a premium. Average airfares had, in adjusted dollars , declined more during the regulated era than they have during the deregulated era.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 7:45:18 PM DB Cooper wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

A completely irrelevant point. If US assistance was based on death of relatives in terrorist attacks, then the US had better setup a new cabinet office for every US citizen who has died in a terrorist attack since 1776. The point of the ATSB wasn't to bailout failed business models. It was to support air transport firms who were financially damaged by 9/11, unable to access the capital markets, AND who had a financially sound business model going into the future. As I said, it wasn't to bailout every damaged industry, even ones who are fatally flawed. What about hotels? Travel companies? Tourist resorts? Why not bailout Kmart (reduced consumer spending post 9/11)? Or maybe Worldcom (less telecom activity)? All that bailouts do is transfer money from the US taxpayer as a whole and give it to employees, equity holders and debt holders. They do not add value. Only transfer value. Why should granny in Idaho get soaked for a flawed business model? Government involvement distorts incentives and creates a moral hazard.

If you like that model, move to Germany where they have higher taxes, lower per capita GDP, slower growth rates (negative for 2002), and a comatose business sector. I'll stay here in the US.

Back