Request for PHL-China Extension to 3/25/11

Don't look at percentages, look at numbers. Presently there is one flight per day, with ~300 seats, going to one destination in Europe: BA's nightly run to LGW.

There IS room for more non-stop European service out of PHX.
If there is a a market for more non-stop EU destinations from PHX, why are airlines like AF/KL or LH not serving that market already? Especially LH since PHX is a hub for a * alliance carrier? I would guess the demand is not there (especially the high yield business class tickets)? I do wonder though why US cannot figure out how to make a flight from PHX to EU work? Not even a PHX-FRA code-share with LH? Kind of sad since LH seems to have quite a decent code-share relationship with the other North American based * alliance members UA and AC.

Don't look at percentages, look at numbers. Presently there is one flight per day, with ~300 seats, going to one destination in Europe: BA's nightly run to LGW.

I realize that; my comment was in response to this one:

Compared the PHL, PHX would provide much more reliable connections for Asia/Europe. ATC issues can cause the whole PHL operation to go in the dump. PHX moves 365 a year.

So how would it make more sense to have a European gateway that is geographically well-suited to connect <30% of the population vs one that is well suited to serve 95%+ of the population???

I bet he didn't mention British Airways fills a 747 on that route daily did he? How would he explain that one? There's a market tuff guy, we just don't have the planes.

BA's nightly run to LGW

First of all, it's to LHR not LGW which means that there are numerous connecting options available. Secondly, it's not daily - it shuffles between 5 and 6 times weekly depending on the season. They likely use a B744 so they can have a plane with a larger Y cabin.

As NYC and others have said though, the premium traffic just isn't there and that becomes increasing more important the longer the stage length gets.

I'm sure BA does decently well on the route, but I do believe in the long-run US would be better positioned to provide limited TATL service from PHX, and I wouldn't be surprised to see BA drop its service if US started its own PHX-LON service someday.

Back