Restarting India?

Why would a tax treaty between India and Mauritius generate any interest in restarting service to India?  The treaty was to close a financial loophole where wealthy Indians were hiding income from the government by shipping funds to Mauritius then back to India.

From what I've been told about the ORD-DEL experiment, the amount of money lost on that route will make management think twice, then 3 times, then 4 before even considering the route.

Reactions: 2 people
As long as Emirates and the other ME4 carriers flying to India continue to dump capacity and undercut nonstop pricing, AA won't fly it.

Reactions: 4 people
jimntx said:
Why would a tax treaty between India and Mauritius generate any interest in restarting service to India?  The treaty was to close a financial loophole where wealthy Indians were hiding income from the government by shipping funds to Mauritius then back to India.
The problem is with the Times of India - the link doesn't work properly.

Here is another link attempt:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Carriers-line-up-more-India-US-direct-flights/articleshow/52230631.cms

The relevant part of the article is this:

American Airlines (AA), which had pulled out of India route in early 2012 after its parent company filed for bankruptcy, is now planning to restart operations to the US very soon from here. Air India is going to launch new nonstops to North America. Currently, only AI and United have direct flights between India and the US.

"AA merged with US Airways in 2013 and formed one of the biggest airlines in the world. The merger is now almost over and the new AA is keen to restart flights to India at the earliest. That may happen this year itself," said a source. AA used to operate a daily flight between Delhi and Chicago till 2012 when it pulled out of India. However, it is not yet known which city in the US will American fly to nonstop from Delhi in its second coming.

AA has begun preparations for the launch in right earnest. It has appointed a new general sales agent in India.
The only real news here is that AA has appointed a new general sales agent, but that doesn't mean that AA flights to India are on the way. AA has general sales agents in countries that AA doesn't even serve (nonstop).

eolesen said:
As long as Emirates and the other ME4 carriers flying to India continue to dump capacity and undercut nonstop pricing, AA won't fly it.
Completely agree. Maybe if fuel stays very cheap long-term, the US3 will expand their nonstop offerings to India, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

From what I've heard from flight attendants who worked those flights, you don't have to worry about me raising my hand to work any India flights.  For starters because (and I don't know whether this is customary or the law) in India, wheelchair passengers are always boarded and deplaned first.  So, on a 777 you might have between 50 and 100 wheelchair passengers who would be very demanding on the airplane throughout the flight and become miraculously healed in Chicago usually right after they got through the handicap lines for Customs.