Rj Concept Is Doomed.

cavalier

Veteran
Aug 28, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Seems it’s poetic justice that a failed idea made by failed CEO’s who thought it up appears to be going down the drain. Too bad it will wash everyone else down with it. The RJ concept is doomed. Trying to start another airline up in the middle of all the industry chaos with all the logistics required (training of new people, etc) and now the all-important financing seems plain silly, stupid with no vision at all. It was a crapshoot. If I were running the show I would abandon the entire RJ fluke and pull planes out of the desert at dirt-cheap prices and fly them. People care about getting from point A to B with the least amount of stops, and if they can do that who cares if the plane has that new car smell. LUV does it everyday and they have some old planes, I know, I was at their hangers and saw them up close and personal. The RJ dream was a way to crush labor and now it seems it is going to crush the entire airline. How do they expect people to vote for more concessions when the people voting for those concessions are being crushed with a new RJ outfit? This RJ concept was a failure from the beginning, not taking into account the people factor. That is why LUV has what is called a PEOPLE DEPARTMENT because they understand it takes people to make it work and not having them work against you with stupid self serving ideas and concepts. I would say this airline is in the most serious position it has every been in and to top it off we have wall street people at the helm who only understand money and not people and are clueless as to how to run an airline. I am glad I an not a pilot with many years left to work and owning the world my right arm or the other employees who need this job to stay out of court who don’t posses other job skills.

If the RJ concept is so doomed, than explain to me why JetBlue has about 100 of them on order.

Please go back and preach to a less intellegent congregation. They may be more gullible to accept your pablum.

ITRADE said:
If the RJ concept is so doomed, than explain to me why JetBlue has about 100 of them on order.
A 100 seat airplane is not an RJ.

The DC-9 does not hold 100 people and that is not considered an RJ!

Because they have a intelligent management group and US does not.

700UW said:
A 100 seat airplane is not an RJ.

The DC-9 does not hold 100 people and that is not considered an RJ!

Because they have a intelligent management group and US does not.
Embraer calls them regional jets. Aviation Daily and Aviation Week call them regional jets.

From Jetblue itself, and they are flying the planes themselves, not to Mesa like US does!

"Through this new agreement with Embraer, JetBlue will bring its superior product and award-winning customer service to the many mid-sized markets desperately in need of low fares and high quality service," said David Neeleman, CEO of JetBlue Airways. "Since our first full year of operations in 2001, we have achieved continued profitability through our focus on innovation and low costs. Our unwillingness to rest on our success is evident today. With a combined Airbus and Embraer fleet, we believe we will be well-positioned to offer a better product to markets of all sizes across the U.S., without compromising the low fares, cabin comfort and great service that are the hallmarks of the JetBlue experience."

"JetBlue has established itself as a leading carrier in the low-fare market, and to have our aircraft chosen to join this prestigious fleet is the highest praise," said Maurício Botelho, president and CEO of Embraer. "JetBlue passengers will find the EMBRAER 190 provides them with the same high standards of cabin comfort and appeal they are used to on JetBlue, offering a truly seamless experience throughout the JetBlue system."

Not to nitpick, but JetBlue has orders on the EMB-190, which is a hundred seat jet, more inline with a small 737 or the F100 and almost the size of a B-717.

Sounds like management needs (maybe employees also) to understand that if you try to screw the
pooch,it will come back to haunt you. The definition of insanity is "doing the same things over and
over again expecting different results".Being honest pays off.Try to deceive and you will have rebellion. the
majority of people will see thru deception. Prehaps wall street is catching on to US.

ITRADE said:
Embraer calls them regional jets. Aviation Daily and Aviation Week call them regional jets.
Nope -- Embraer dropped the RJ designation years ago for the 170/175/190/195. Rj/SJ/etc really only has meaning from a scope clause PoV. To me it looks like a "mainline" jet, just a small but comfy one.

The comfort levels in the Embraer vs the Canadair CRJ700s (same basic tube as the 50 seater) are night and day apart.

Here is the definition of RJ out of"Webster's":

An airplane flown by lower paid employees (non-union if possible); doing the same job as mainline, in order to circumvent or make moot mainline labor contracts. RJs are always accompanied with fear and threats. Will always be approved by senior pilots to save their sorry arses. An RJ can be 4 seats to 500 seats. noun, verb (management will RJ your position).

truely a question. a thought. a vision. what do you see.

1. the survival plan was based on 400 rjs (similar to the wolf statement buy more airplanes than GOD can count)
2. the realization of that these jets merely allow the subcontracting out of work. presumably at a lower cost.
3. are there different fare structures for riding on the RJs? i mean exactly if is an RJ from ALB to PIT that used to be an MD80 but is now an crj or something. have the FARES dropped as well? (i'm assuming not)
4. now you have got the same fare with presumably lower costs (even though csms for rjs run roughly .01c per seat mile more than a mainline jet)
5. now JB puts out 100 of them they with the same service on their big planes, so you walk up to say BUF and want to go to what FL or CA or someplace. your choice is connect via PIT CLT PHL or JFK. you end up in the same place (remember this is 2 years from now) the UAIR RJ offers what for which price and the JB RJ offers what for what price. that i think is the undoing of a relatively thought out plan.

so the path of applying more point ot point service with a jet that was closer to that type of operation and then de hubbing to lower costs seemed to be at the very least a plausable plan. but ceased to be the correct way once JB announced its plans. so much were thought of those plans that even Southwest has begun to "look at" an RJ type fleet. (amazing that it would depart from its one fleet type stategy much less a SMALLER plane).

that i think is the bigger danger. you get all those RJs in place only to find out your competitor is offering a similar size airplane with tv's for 1/4 the price you are????

Latest posts

Back