Rome Flight returns to PHL

BuffaloJoe

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
PHILADELPHIA INT'L AIRPORT - April 4, 2007 - Yet another computer glitch is fueling frustrations for some US Airways passengers. This time, the problems hit 2 hours into a flight from Philadelphia International to Rome, Italy.

The jet loaded with passengers was heading over the Atlantic for 2 hours when the plane had to turn around and fly back to Philadelphia International Airport.
Officials tell Action News that the plane's navigational computers failed and it prevented the plane from making the trip across the Atlantic.

Action News caught up with one disappointed family trying to get to Rome.

"We are going to a wedding in Italy. They don't care. They have no other arrangements. There is no other flight tomorrow, US Air leaving, that we can go on. We have family waiting in Italy, cars. Everybody's waiting," Maria McLaughlin told Action News.

The airline handed out flyers with phone numbers to help passengers reschedule their flights. A spokeswoman from US Airways says the airline is working to get them on the first flights available. She says that will be this morning

And why, prey tell, do they not look at other options to get these people to Rome?
I'm guessing that by the time the flight got back to PHL there weren't any other options last night. Of course, finding non-US options for today with QIK/Shares could be problematic......

Jim

I'm guessing that by the time the flight got back to PHL there weren't any other options last night. Of course, finding non-US options for today with QIK/Shares could be problematic......

Jim
Have you ever used QIK/Shares, BB? I have. And it's actually quite easy to rebook pax on same, or different, airline...

Like someone else mentioned, the difficulty -- no matter which res system is in use -- is finding flights to Rome or connections to Rome, from PHL, at that time of night (well after 8PM, since it had a 6:05 departure...) Not to mention, even if there were flights, the availability of seats or not...

I know Shares ain't perfect. But we've got to live with it. Please don't blame it for problems it did not cause nor problems it cannot solve -- that doesn't add anything constructive to resolving the issue at hand. These are problems that even Sabre couldn't solve (flight times/availabilty).

Does the PHL media cover every cancelled flight like this?

Wow. Must not be much else going on.

Dear Breath of fresh air;

Yes I have used QIK/Shares and it is the problem...not native shares....Who exactly do we blame for not being able to look up avail...As os this week I still cannot look up PHL NCE without doing it in two steps ie; PHL CDG write down flts...CDG NCE write down flts and compare for compatibility and min connex times(which I have to look up in another place)....Sabre was programed to give the best flts first..no guessing whether they met min connex..Hve you ever rebooked an intl flt on Saber?????I have countless times and now I dont even know if the other airlines have seats even if I find the schedule...I have to call the other airline..!!!!Now you know why we give out the res number to pax....It would take the few agts remaing at that time of nite HOURS to rebook one flt

Yes I have used QIK/Shares and it is the problem...not native shares....Who exactly do we blame for not being able to look up avail...As os this week I still cannot look up PHL NCE without doing it in two steps ie; PHL CDG write down flts...CDG NCE write down flts and compare for compatibility and min connex times(which I have to look up in another place)....Sabre was programed to give the best flts first..no guessing whether they met min connex..Hve you ever rebooked an intl flt on Saber?????I have countless times and now I dont even know if the other airlines have seats even if I find the schedule...I have to call the other airline..!!!!Now you know why we give out the res number to pax....It would take the few agts remaing at that time of nite HOURS to rebook one flt
You get what you pay for :down:

Have you ever used QIK/Shares, BB? I have. And it's actually quite easy to rebook pax on same, or different, airline...
No I haven't, but based on comments like this:

there seem to be areas where QIK/Shares is lacking, at least so far.....

Jim

PHILADELPHIA INT'L AIRPORT - April 4, 2007 - Yet another computer glitch is fueling frustrations for some US Airways passengers. This time, the problems hit 2 hours into a flight from Philadelphia International to Rome, Italy.

The jet loaded with passengers was heading over the Atlantic for 2 hours when the plane had to turn around and fly back to Philadelphia International Airport.
Officials tell Action News that the plane's navigational computers failed and it prevented the plane from making the trip across the Atlantic.

Action News caught up with one disappointed family trying to get to Rome.

"We are going to a wedding in Italy. They don't care. They have no other arrangements. There is no other flight tomorrow, US Air leaving, that we can go on. We have family waiting in Italy, cars. Everybody's waiting," Maria McLaughlin told Action News.

The airline handed out flyers with phone numbers to help passengers reschedule their flights. A spokeswoman from US Airways says the airline is working to get them on the first flights available. She says that will be this morning

No doubt the airline is in a bad state in terms of operation. The computer system, the attempted integration, and employee morale. No question that there are big issues.
The only thing that has saved it time and time again are the front line employees that pull it through.

In this particular case, it was a mechanical issue which can happen to any airline, anywhere, at any time.

What p##ses me off when it comes to PHL and the mention of the operation there, is that yes, US needs to do a lot of work to fix it; no doubt about it. The manning needs to be at levels of a hub (they're not).

But for goodness sake, why does the City of Philadelphia never take a hit for the fact that it has a crap airport, with delapidated facilities, that are in the dark ages. That the runways are too close together, that the taxiways can't handle the volume. Why is it that the employees of US are always made to feel like they never do enough.

US needs upper management with b##ls; that will stand up for the employees and defend their company name and reputation. Where are they ? Since PHL always seems to be the focus of this company, you need a PR person there, not in TEMPE.

WAKE UP TEMPE !! STOP LETTING YOUR EMPLOYEES TAKE ABUSE FOR YOUR SHORTCOMINGS. GROW SOME.

Small hint . If you open availability pop up and put PHL NCE date and connecting airport CDG and then specify AF as carrier you get all connections via CDG on AF . Try it . It works well . It did not worked for some other airlines as AZ or IB and system gave a message that it is more then 360 days prior to departure ..... But that was not the case with AF . Big problem is that if you trying to book KL,LH,BA for the same day , you can not book any economy seats and get HK only PN and it never confirmed ontime !!! Only works with Business class bookings for the same day . :shock:

Does the PHL media cover every cancelled flight like this?

Wow. Must not be much else going on.

No - plenty else going in Philly. (IE - we've become the murder capital of the US)

BUT - since LCC has decinced and declined in service - and continues to have more and more problems - it is big news because they control so much of the traffic at the airport. I for one am very interested in knowing about what is going on with LCC so I know that is is still not a good idea to fly them if you want reliable, friendly service and want any hope of arriving with your luggage. It really is laughable how many screw ups there with US in Philly these days - and the news media doesn't even cover half of them!

Every day the PHL Inquirer has a well-deserved article in it bashing US...I LOVE IT

Small hint . If you open availability pop up and put PHL NCE date and connecting airport CDG and then specify AF as carrier you get all connections via CDG on AF . Try it . It works well . It did not worked for some other airlines as AZ or IB and system gave a message that it is more then 360 days prior to departure ..... But that was not the case with AF . Big problem is that if you trying to book KL,LH,BA for the same day , you can not book any economy seats and get HK only PN and it never confirmed ontime !!! Only works with Business class bookings for the same day . :shock:

That is so much easier than entering 1phlnce! The antiquated SABRE system entry gave you all the connections for OA. It is quite an improvement with SHARES to spoon feed a dozen pop up boxes with the exact routing you want, provided you know OA schedules and connecting points. Life is indeed good! Oh thank you SHARES god! from delivering us from SABRE.